UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Sil Motor Sleeves

Old 05-02-2005, 12:41 PM   #1
Richard_S

Sil Motor Sleeves

Id like to get my ali sils resleeved. does anyone know if they do these kits and if so where I can get one. Idea of cost too if you know?

I had planned to get them painted but seems that this is not only an expensive one (never been too hot with paint myself) but even if the paint withstands the heat and doesn’t crack chances are some pillion muppet will! I am looking for a permanent and durable solution!

I've had a chat with extreme in Crawley and they are "looking into it" for me.

ta
Old 05-02-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
A Yerbury

this shout goes out to tha "extreme" crew in crawley. you could pop the rivets, take the brushed ally off and get em chromed? flog em, then get some carbon ones just like mine. They are very light, a doddle to clean, dont get at all hot and you will then be a step closer to achieving true "Yerburyness" -many have tried and failed. Apart from that I dunno as they say on thursday.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:28 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Another option would be to get the sleeves cleaned up and anodised? Even the best high temp. paint finish would fall off eventually and look pants IMO.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:37 PM   #4
A Yerbury

I suppose they could be anodised black?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:41 PM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Any colour you like within reason - although I think Pink might result in the bad taste gestapo needing a little chat?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg redline3.jpg (35.8 KB, 40 views)

Last edited by gary tompkins; 05-02-2005 at 01:47 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 01:43 PM   #6
A Yerbury

is an anodised finish strong enough for stone chips and the like?
Old 05-02-2005, 01:52 PM   #7
Richard_S

thanks chaps,

Im on a bit of a budget and thought that resleeving would be most economical. kits are usually 40/50 squid no? painting is out, anodising is an option but it must be costly?? dont really want to lash out on a new set but as you are aware mr Y tis my only imperfection.

whilst I am bitching about the price of things I would like to point out that I have just been robbed. Mr Patel has just pulled my pants down and demanded 75 pence for a can of cherry pop. Obviously it is now in his rectum.

Still battling with the other gary - employing an expert later this afternoon to kick this moron into touch! Thanks for your help with it.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:02 PM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

There are different grades of anodising - Sulphuric, Chromic & Hard. Even soft/thin Chromic anodising is pretty good and should still be better than normal spray paint. Most decorative stuff is Sulphuric anodised and coloured with dyes, but Hard anodising is best as it penetrates deeper - pretty bulletproof TBH.

The problem with painting ally is that you need to etch prime or pre-treat the surface (anodise/alucrome) to prevent oxidisation and give a good key. Otherwise the paint will just lift off as soon as it gets chipped, and the air gets to the metal underneath.

Powder coating is another good finish, but I doubt it would withstand the heat of a hot exhaust can?
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM   #9
A Yerbury

cest vrai, but the tank protector s a bit....y know....TBH I've never heard of sleeves for these going as kits, and given the hassle of undoing the rivets -easy to balls up- plus the fact that the anodising would cost more than 50 -again I guess but I am rarely wrong- its perhaps not worth it. However polishing them up to a glassy buff wouldnt cost that much and is very "doable"-yeuch. 75p!? Lidl over here do french plonk for 60p and its rather nice....bloody rip of Britain.
AY.
ps.Beard currently looking tip top, it's as if grafted fresh from the chops of Sir F Drake. and who is this other Gareth chappie?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:21 PM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I have seen ads that you can buy the sleeves in carbon if you ding your originals.Take a look in MCN ads and internet.I know a couple of years ago they advertised a company that was going to AllyPally bike show.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 04:34 PM   #11
DesmoDog

Richard, I've polshed up the Remus on mine and they look rather swish. Was pretty easy too. If you do decide to get them anodised I would not risk undoing the rivets myself. Take it somewhere where they will do all that for you. It's not going to be cheap, but exhausts never are. Alex we are in need of Absinthe in military quantities, how fast can you get a tanker full of the pre-1900's recipe up to Newcastle?
Old 05-02-2005, 04:38 PM   #12
Richard_S

given my recent difficulty with even the simpliest of hand eye co-ordinataion tasks whatever I decide on will be outsourced to a capable person.

polish sounds good but the problem is one can is scratched pretty bad and not sure how effective it would be in concealing the offending monkey mess. the idea of all of this is get me back to cosmetic splendor - needs to be durable, cheap like the budgie and spangly!

Last edited by Richard_S; 05-02-2005 at 04:45 PM..
Old 05-02-2005, 04:51 PM   #13
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Is it too scratched for wet n dry paper and wd40 and then solvol autosol to finish.
My scorpion cans were scratched and had a gouge butpolished out with wet paper of various courseness.Choice of finish is yours whether to buff shine or not or leave matt.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2005, 05:04 PM   #14
Richard_S

tried that and just made it worse
Old 05-02-2005, 05:47 PM   #15
A Yerbury

he did!! brother Nick aka cosmicsimian is planning on getting some scratches polished out, deep ish buggers n all. If I were you metal mickey I would get me self down to a polishing chappie, hold head high, throw some florins down....and demand "yes? and how much?" those scratches are not deep down and dirty, I think they will polish out and match your glossy character, lets be honest those sils are a bit matt n grey? get a buffin.