UK Monster Owners Club Forum .: UKMOC Events :. Events National Events Weekender Archive Monster Weekender 2020 » Corona Virus and the Weekender~ duplicate thread

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-03-2020, 06:10 PM   #1
Moco1961
Registered User
 
Moco1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Park gate
Bike: Multiple Monsters
Posts: 934
Corona Virus and the Weekender~ duplicate thread

Hi Folks, this thread is intended to get the "elephant out of the room" , we are a little short of 7 weeks away from the Weekender and there is a global health issue playing out that we cannot ignore.
My preference is to take control of this before "it" takes control of us, the way to do this is eliminate risk. This is where I believe we are today, in no particular order:-

Risk 1~ Public places & Gatherings ~ We know that there will be advice shortly on what constitutes a gathering so numbers are unconfirmed but chances are high that public events will be cancelled. We have all our eggs in the RAF basket for the Weekender,RAF Valley on Angelsey for Saturday and the museum at Cosford for the Sunday Ride out. Cosford is posting on their website that it will take govt advice, I would rate this 60/40 chance of cancellation due to closing access to the public.

Risk 2 ~ Hotel! Although they are taking Govt advice Helen has confirmed that if a guest is confirmed to have the virus, the Hotel will close for a period of 14 days. We dont know who is staying or what could possibly happen so impossible to put a risk factor on this, what we do know however is that if a guest tests positive say 10 days before we are due to arrive then we have no venue, I would rate this 50/50 chance of cancellation.

Risk 3 ~ Guest speakers, we know know the govt are planning to limit exposure of the over 70 age group to the potential risk of catching the virus. Our guest speakers Peter ,Tommy rob and Phil Morris have already contacted me confirming they do not want to do the event in May. Risk 100/0 cancellation!

Risk 4 ~ us!!, statistically some of us will get this thing, whether it is before the event or knowing a friend /partner who has come into contact with someone who has it leading to self-isolation. Either way it would mean a cancellation for those individuals. Hotel staff may catch it which is a double whammy as the Hotel would then close ,Ref Risk 2 above.

We can of course continue to plan and stick to the pre-arranged date, we can have a weekender without any arranged events, as long as we have a bike and a destination hey, however we cant have a weekender without a venue. My personal opinion is given the risks above,this is too much of a chance to take and the event should be postponed.

I realise that this messes up with peoples diaries /leave requests and everything that goes with it...we seem to have been here before folks !! However I think postponing takes the risk and anxiety out of the weekend and we will once again be in control of our own destiny. Helen confirmed she had some cancellations this weekend so the threat is quite real to us all.

She has available dates in September that would accommodate us, nothing in july or August. I didnt ask about June as I think it would be too soon.

This thread is aimed specifically at the attendees for which without you there would be no weekender, the thought of not having one is sad to say the least but we must be realistic and postpone this until later in the year.

As always ,all thoughts and contributions welcome,

Mike
Moco1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 06:20 PM   #2
ChrisC2925
Registered User
 
ChrisC2925's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ormskirk
Bike: M600
Posts: 230
A wise decision Mike, I believe the Austrians are banning gatherings of more than 5 people so I'm sure we will be doing something similar eventually.

I will get hold of my contact at RAF Valley and sound him out but no doubt they will be closing the doors to the public as they are an active site.

September would be OK from my point of view so all we can do is play things by ear as events unfold.
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 06:30 PM   #3
slob
.
 
slob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: East London
Bike: Multiple Monsters
Posts: 9,159
Thanks Mike.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #4
Moco1961
Registered User
 
Moco1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Park gate
Bike: Multiple Monsters
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC2925 View Post
A wise decision Mike, I believe the Austrians are banning gatherings of more than 5 people so I'm sure we will be doing something similar eventually.

I will get hold of my contact at RAF Valley and sound him out but no doubt they will be closing the doors to the public as they are an active site.

September would be OK from my point of view so all we can do is play things by ear as events unfold.
Thanks Chris, I know we have all being pondering this and you have done a great job securing this event as part of the weekend, hopefully you can persuade them to let us in during September....I suspect you will be pushing against an open door!
Moco1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #5
Goofle
Registered User
 
Goofle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Powys
Bike: M900
Posts: 334
Thanks again for your efforts Mike, Sept it is!
Goofle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2020, 07:47 PM   #6
Moco1961
Registered User
 
Moco1961's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Park gate
Bike: Multiple Monsters
Posts: 934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofle View Post
Thanks again for your efforts Mike, Sept it is!
Hey Ian, it's great news because you have loads of time to get that lovely tank on your bike
Moco1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:46 PM.

vBulletin Skins by vBmode.com. Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.3
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.