UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » UKMOC Suggestion Box » Searching the members list....

Old 08-11-2004, 09:55 PM   #1
Lady-Bob

Searching the members list....

Is there any way that I could search for members by area (e.g Kent - surprise surprise!) and be able to do 1 email to all that allow their email address to be shown in their User CP?

Trying to think of ways to contact people who obviously don't log on all that often and trying to find out who's active in Kent area and who's not.

Have we thought about a cull for all users that haven't logged on in the past 12 months? then if they wanna get back on-line they'll have to re-register?

Just a few thorts mulling over in my head
Old 08-11-2004, 11:45 PM   #2
bod

Sounds like a good idea .where are all the MONSTERS in South Yorkshire there must be more than me and Macca around here...ain't seen any post's recently from any other peeps
I'm bored of riding with me mates on their vfr's,
Old 09-11-2004, 12:16 PM   #3
nik_the_brief

Hi Bob,

Why not post up a general thread asking all of us interested Kent peeps if they're interested on going on a Kent rep PM list, you can just send us all the same PM then.

You could even use this post and just get Kent peeps (and any other comparative locals) to cut and paste their names on the list.
Old 09-11-2004, 01:51 PM   #4
Lady-Bob

.... but CAN you do a multiple PM ... never tried it... thought you could only PM one member per PM or have I been a dimwit all this time??? - Be nice now!

The problem is that the Kent lot don't seem to respond on the ukmoc site so there's no point in asking them to respond to a thread that Nik the Brief suggest??!!

It would be handy to know who's around at least rather than trawl through the complete member list one by one
Old 09-11-2004, 02:18 PM   #5
nik_the_brief

I think multiple PM's are possible (although I've not tried myself). Ask JMo as she does a multiple PM to the Sussex Monsterites (and a couple of kent extremities like myself as they're just across Romney Marsh from me!)
Old 09-11-2004, 04:10 PM   #6
Northman1

Yes. I think that you just have to seperate the addresses with semi-colons.
Old 09-11-2004, 04:16 PM   #7
Northman1

Sent a PM to Bob, Nik_the_brief and myself.
This arrived in my PM area so I presume it worked, however the PM does not show any of the other addressees.
Old 09-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #8
JMo

Northman1 - quite correct, the other recipients are not shown when you've been sent a multiple PM...

Bob - I don't think there is a facility to check members by region, so the best thing to do is add the names you already know to your Buddy list, then keep an eye out for any new members joining (there's a little box somewhere that says "welcome newest memeber:" or something like that ), and check their profile/location and add it if you feel appropriate...

As for multiple PMs - if you click on "open buddy list" in the top menu bar, you get a list of the names in your buddy list and a check box by each one - just click the box to each of those you want to PM and then the "PM users" button at the bottom of the list, and you'll be forwarded to the write message section as usual - as Rep you should be able to PM up to 30 people at once - check with Sami (Le Marsu) or Fatbloke if you can't...

Don't forget to let myself and Surrey rep (currently Muttley), and also Essex know your plans, we always fancy a run y'know...

xxx
Old 09-11-2004, 06:51 PM   #9
fatbloke

if you go to "members list" then click on "advanced search" scroll down select your county and that should be it
Old 09-11-2004, 07:19 PM   #10
JMo

Well stone me! - we have the facility, and it works!

Love the new website fella, love it...

xxx
Old 09-11-2004, 07:38 PM   #11
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Bob,

Sorry missed this post last night. I sent out PM's to all the members listed in Kent a few months back, asking if they were interested in meets, rideouts etc... As FB says you need to do an advanced search in the members listing, and select 'Kent'

The good news is I found we had 29 members in this area, but the bad news is that out of the 29 I PM'd only 8 bothered to reply This confirmed my suspicion that a majority registered either never used the forum, or no longer have any interest in the website or UKMOC. A lot of these guys first signed on several years ago, and still show a zero post count which says it all TBO

I personally think the website/club is long over due for a spring clean. Having so many time wasters registered makes the reps job very frustrating. I know FB thinks a club subscriptions a bad move, but not charging a nominal annual membership renewal or joining fee further complicates the issue, making it difficult to define current valid membership figures.

I've always found mobiles/texts a better and faster way of contacting locals, and it gets round the problem of peeps missing events due to not logging on regularly. Perhaps we could start a local Kent contact list (mobiles etc..) as a back up to the forum & Kent events postings?

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, but this was one of the reasons I gave up the reps post. I'm sure things will improve and you'll have my full support as promised.

Last edited by gary tompkins; 09-11-2004 at 07:45 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2004, 07:41 PM   #12
fatbloke

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
Perhaps we could start a local Kent contact list (mobiles etc..) as a back up to the forum & Kent events postings?
Good idea Gary but we could not have the list of phone numbers on the web site data protection act and all that, plus it would be open season on w**nkers trying to sell you s**t you don't want or need.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:54 PM   #13
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Good point

Agreed, it would be strictly for local (non forum) use only. Perhaps Bob could control access to the list as Rep, and everyone was asked for permission before passing mobile numbers or other info on to other UKMOC members.

Most of us have mobile contacts for eachother anyway, so it wouldn't be that difficult to get a full set?
Old 09-11-2004, 09:34 PM   #14
Scotty

purge em out thats what i say , burn , destRoY , etc,
though i see someone has registared just to sell their bike (or attempt to)

maybe it should be ok to post in the for sale section without registaring or is that a stupid idea forught with possible abuse
Old 10-11-2004, 09:59 AM   #15
Lady-Bob

Thanks for all this info everyone, it really will be a great help.

Special thanks to JMo for the great idea of a buddy list! I can use that to keep an account of the active Kent lot as opposed to the inactive, and then use the search to get to all the others. I might put a poll up and see how many Kent members would like to get more active - just to see what replies I get ... if any!

I seem to be sitting on the fence here... I can see Fatblokes point of view here in regarding Data Protection and, sure, I know I wouldn't want unsolicited canvassing if I gave out my tel no. that's for darn sure.

Perhaps the registration process of new members could be considered going in for a "makeover" - have a section asking for a contact mobile tel. no for text alerts as to forthcoming events only (and only allow the area rep and the administrators to access that info) with a tick box for the new member to give permission for it's restricted release.

But then again, I really don't fancy using my mobile to send a load of texts every time - I don't get free texts as I am a pay as you go mobile user.

I think Scotty and I have the best idea... a cull. thwart them at every turn :twisted: Delete all members from the website that have not logged on for, say, 9 months. Send them all a PM first giving them a date by which they must log in to keep their membership open, or after that date they will have to re-register. January 1st 2005 seems a good date to cull on.

Seriously ... would someone consider a cull of some descript??