UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » New Brakes on Monsters

Old 04-11-2004, 09:18 PM   #1
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Question New Brakes on Monsters

A friend of mine has been to the NEC today and seen the new Monnies and Paul Smart retro bikes. They are now using two piston sliding brakes appparently. Why. Whats wrong with the ones we have or are they better or just plain cheaper. Can anyone tell us. Does any one know why old fashioned brakes coming back?
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2004, 09:45 PM   #2
A Yerbury

what are sliding brakes?
Old 04-11-2004, 09:46 PM   #3
Scotty

cheaper in my book
Old 04-11-2004, 09:47 PM   #4
Scotty

cheap **** car breaks are the 'slideing' type one piston operates bothsides awe hf;hsd
i cant describe it but its simple to look at em
Old 04-11-2004, 10:00 PM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Sliding calipers have piston(s) in one half only and a sliding link to the other side so when the piston is forced out it pulls the sliding half as well.

Typically they lack power / feel and are most definitely cheaper. Don't look as nice either. There's good reason you'll find sliding calipers on budget / commuter bikes and four / six piston calipers on more expensive / classier bikes!

Ped
Old 04-11-2004, 10:09 PM   #6
A Yerbury

cheers, ah yessss "the motorcycle guide book" is all coming back now, and brembo still make em? not worth the adverse "cheap" assosciation I would have thought? brem twins arent that expensive to make.
Old 04-11-2004, 10:14 PM   #7
Richard_S

i know a man who knocks em up in the basement. good price stuff, even has a somewhat shady side line involving anchor shaped keyrings.
Old 05-11-2004, 12:28 PM   #8
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albie
A friend of mine has been to the NEC today and seen the new Monnies and Paul Smart retro bikes. They are now using two piston sliding brakes appparently. Why. Whats wrong with the ones we have or are they better or just plain cheaper. Can anyone tell us. Does any one know why old fashioned brakes coming back?

Are they using these on the front brakes or just the rear?
The new BMW R1200GS 'wonderbike' also uses a sliding rear caliper (they are BMW badged Brembos). Two reasons I guess:-

1. Lower cost.
2. It is not necessary to have a really powerful rear brake.

Will
Old 05-11-2004, 01:26 PM   #9
Chris

I noticed that too on Terry's pictures, black Brembo 2 pot floating calipers on the front of the S2R. This is definately a cost saving measure, and loses one of the things that was great about the monsters, largely superbike derived, not budget alternatives! I'm sure the brakes will still be up to the job of stopping the bike, but definately not as cool as the pukka 4 pot jobbies.
Old 05-11-2004, 01:27 PM   #10
Chris

Oh, forgot to mention, I have a pair of Brembo calipers for sale. Any offers, new S2R owners!
Old 05-11-2004, 02:27 PM   #11
A Yerbury

they will no doubt put the old ones in the dp catalogue the money grabbing swines....
Old 05-11-2004, 02:51 PM   #12
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
If you compare an original old Monster with the new efforts, the newer breed look decidedly low rent. What happened to all the gold bits etc? Or is it just me that as the years go by, the prices go up byt some specs drop?
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:06 PM   #13
A Yerbury

which other gold bits?
Old 05-11-2004, 04:27 PM   #14
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Well, gold forks for example and frame. The silver lot look decidedly cheaper if you ask me. That's why I'd never get a newer one.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2004, 04:48 PM   #15
A Yerbury

o course! well I'm a golden oldie too. the gold mazocchs are nicer looking and part of the origional iconic monster look. perhaps one reason why the newer ones and darks look a tad bland head on?
mr miffy.