UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Horn Trouble

Old 03-11-2004, 08:25 PM   #1
CAKE

Horn Trouble

Can anyone help me?
My horn stuck in the other day so we took the fitting off to release it and found a mangled peice of rubber.
Needless to say, when pressed, the horn now stays in and will not spring back.
Dealers tell me that I can not buy a replacment rubber or a 'spring back' mechansism, I have to buy a whole new unit!
At over £75, I think this is a rip off when I'm sure a peice of modified sprung metal will do, although I have no idea how to modify/fit it!
Has anyone else had this problem and what did you do to fix it?
Thanks
Debs
Old 03-11-2004, 08:39 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Debs,

Have a look on Ebay - just do a search for spares by manufacturer & Ducati. I've seen R/H switchgear on there selling for around £20, and the L/H one that you need shouldn't be more than £30 secondhand. Other than that try Spareshack or PM nattyboy, as he often has bits like that for sale.

I got quoted £75 for a new R/H switchgear unit earlier this year when the starter packed in, but luckily I discovered it was just a broken wire in the loom so the switchgear wasn't needed.

You've obviously still not sold the 600 Monster yet then?

GT
Old 03-11-2004, 09:15 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Just had a quick look on fleabay and I spotted this one. It's for a 748/916/996 but the wiring loom should be similar, and the only thing that may not match is the loom plug which could be cut/swapped from your old unit?

Could be worth a bid - only up for £10 with 3 days left to go

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...sPageName=WDVW
Old 03-11-2004, 10:17 PM   #4
Didge

Horn Trouble?
This thread is an invitation to smuttyness......but I'm fighting the urge to go any further.
In fact, I'm surprised Mr Gary 'fnarr-fnarr' Tompkins hasn't picked up on it.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:01 PM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

oooh missus!

Didge,

I must admit I thought CAKE's post was a gag at first, then spotted it wasn't in the humour section so had a look to suss it out. As for the 'fnaar-fnaar' comment I guess you are referring to my "nice horn" reply on FB's post earlier this evening?

Just had to be done
Old 04-11-2004, 07:25 AM   #6
Didge

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
Didge,
I must admit I thought CAKE's post was a gag at first, then spotted it wasn't in the humour section so had a look to suss it out. As for the 'fnaar-fnaar' comment I guess you are referring to my "nice horn" reply on FB's post earlier this evening?
Just had to be done
Gary, since when has it mattered to you wether something was in the humour section or not before coming out with the obligatory (and in my view funny) smutty 'Carry-On' comment?
Old 04-11-2004, 08:40 AM   #7
A Yerbury

replacement (busters horns, fnaar fnaar) a tenner and nicer looking. but your problem is not the horn is it? its the switch mechanism? sorry I havent woken up properly yet..
Old 05-11-2004, 08:45 AM   #8
CAKE

Horn Trouble

Thanks Gary me darlin. Will have a mooch (although I keep getting distracted by the make up pages).

Didge. Be as smutty as you like. Life just wouldnt be the same without your gay wit & repartee....

Cake
XXX