UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Bar ends

Old 22-10-2004, 09:51 AM   #1
Mark Walker

Bar ends

To ask yet another stupid question, I was wondering how you get the little black bar end thingies out of the bars? The standard ones........I've tried unscrewing them on the old bars with a pair of pliers (they were damaged so didn't really matter if I made a mess - the bar ends, not the pliers), but they just kept turning......do they screw in or just plug in? Wanted to change them on the new bars and though it would be easier to do so before fitting them to the bike?
Old 22-10-2004, 10:25 AM   #2
SAMMYE

They plug in! you might damage them slightly when you pull them out but they are cheap enough to replace if you want to! Dealer might even give them to you for free!
Old 22-10-2004, 10:33 AM   #3
A Yerbury

You have to use a special tool mark, its called a "pulltheplugo" #zdm12345678. I'll pop by later to help with shoe lace tieing and the trickier letters of the alphabet!!
Old 22-10-2004, 10:47 AM   #4
Mark Walker

that'll be why i couldn't unscrew them then.....the buggers sold me a 'twisttheplugo' #zdm87654321...must have seen me coming

I use velcro on my shoes.....
Old 22-10-2004, 10:56 AM   #5
A Yerbury

I use velcro on my shoes.....

cheat. keep the "twisttheplugo#zdm87654321" as you can reverse the polarity and use it to put the plugs back in. But remember!! it's steam powered so keep it away from electrical sources, infants, expectant mothers, the infirm and ALWAYS use the safety net provided.

good luck and god speed you dark mechanic.
Old 22-10-2004, 11:09 AM   #6
Mark Walker

If all else fails I shall use the Force..........Brute Force....

Seriously do bar end weights make much difference or are they just there to look pretty and snap off when you drop the bike.....have read the odd thing about balance and vibration, but can't imagine they make a massive difference? But then again I do ask stupid questions.....
Old 22-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
A Yerbury

you do indeed but we love ya all the more for it. now, do you mean bar end weights or bar end plugs? have a seat dear as it's going to get technical! I've got clip on bars with plugs just for tidiness. The trouble with weights is that they invariably lengthen the bars, I do a lot of filtering when I ride and need all the clearance I can get. If you had bad "vibes" man then I'd try weights but you wont on a m600 (unless the head bearings mullered) they are really just for protection and show.
Old 22-10-2004, 11:27 AM   #8
Mark Walker

can you fix them with velcro?

Not felt any vibration.....at least not through the bars.....probably just leave them as standard for now.....just wondered as it's the only modification I can afford at the moment
Old 22-10-2004, 02:01 PM   #9
A Yerbury

hacksaw blades are cheap............
Old 22-10-2004, 02:25 PM   #10
Mark Walker

but where on the bike would you put them?
Old 22-10-2004, 02:29 PM   #11
A Yerbury

dont be coy! you put them through the tail.
Old 22-10-2004, 02:31 PM   #12
Mark Walker

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Old 22-10-2004, 04:49 PM   #13
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Walker
nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!
Yessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss
Old 23-10-2004, 06:17 PM   #14
Mark Walker

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooooope.....
Old 23-10-2004, 06:23 PM   #15
DesmoDog

I weight at the end of the bar all the time. It's like they don't see me!