UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Throttle Problem.......or is it?

Old 11-10-2004, 08:40 AM   #1
Mark Walker

Throttle Problem.......or is it?

Right, as some of you may be aware, I had a little accident recently.......but just before the accident I had a problem with the throttle staying open, so that from a standing start in first gear there were enough revs to pull away without touching the throttle. Had a play at the weekend and now the bike stalls in first if you let the clutch out....as it should (and I have the 2-3mm of slack in the throttle). However, the fast idle lever has me a little confused. When the bike is fully warm, does it work correctly? While I was tinkering I opened it half way and the bike stalled. Fully open and the bike screamed in an unhealthy fashion (which I kind of expected). I have noticed in the past while warming up that the lever has to be fully open and the throttle often needs a quick blip to get the revs up.....if I close it off to half way, the revs drop too far (even after a few minutes warming up) and the bike stalls.

So, basically, can the fast idle lever be adjusted in any way, or should I just replace the cable....or has the whole system gone belly up........or perhaps I am clueless and it is actually working in the correct fashion???

Thanks!
Old 11-10-2004, 12:05 PM   #2
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
That sounds like it's working ok to me - well, mine does about the same as have several other bikes I've had.

Ped
Old 11-10-2004, 12:10 PM   #3
Mark Walker

Cheers Pedro

Sounds good to me......serve me right for playing around with things when I probably shouldn't.......and it scared the hell out of the Guinea Pigs so best left well alone.......
Old 11-10-2004, 12:32 PM   #4
stef

mine did play up a while ago.
I just removed it (it was really mashed, and would not get back in the sleeve)
it is still off the bike to this day, as i found that i dont need it. I choke for 30 sec max by pressing the opener with my finger (usually 5-10sec, if nice morning), and then ride the first miles without completely closing the throttle.
works well, and no risk of riding with the choke on.
Old 11-10-2004, 12:36 PM   #5
Rockhopper

Yep our does the same. By the way, its a choke on the M600 and a fast idle on the injected M620. Moving the lever with the engine hot will make it cut out becasue its running way too rich.