UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » Chain lubricants - worlds biggest con!

Old 10-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #1
Will

Chain lubricants - worlds biggest con!

Forget all those 'fancy' chain lubes - they are a total waste of money and they damage your chain!

I use a very very thin grease or gear oil - it is much much cleaner than those nasty spray on waxes and the like. Also if applied carefully with a paint brush it hardly flings at all.

Will
Old 10-09-2004, 10:35 PM   #2
Scotty

sounds liek evil scott oiler talk to me
Old 10-09-2004, 10:39 PM   #3
A Yerbury

fairy liquid works wonders, is soft and gentle on the hands plus its the same shade of green as "scottoil" but a lot cheaper.
Old 10-09-2004, 10:43 PM   #4
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
fairy liquid works wonders, is soft and gentle on the hands plus its the same shade of green as "scottoil" but a lot cheaper.
Scottoilers - PAH - not for real bikers!
Old 10-09-2004, 10:44 PM   #5
Scotty

yeah real bikers have chain failures every few 100 miles

doh that al be me then
Old 10-09-2004, 10:55 PM   #6
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty
yeah real bikers have chain failures every few 100 miles

doh that al be me then
The down side to this thin oil thing is that you have to do it at least every 500 miles - but at least it gives me an excuse to get into the garage and escape from the family :lol:

P.S. do I gather that a snapped chain did that damage in the pic?

Will
Old 10-09-2004, 11:06 PM   #7
Scotty

yup fortunatly it only hurt my bank ballance and not my leg
getting the finnal piece of me repare this weekend (fingers crossed) a new hugger
woooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Old 11-09-2004, 12:14 AM   #8
A Yerbury

better still get the family to lube the bike chain for you! you get peace quiet and a slippery chain, they get a character building experience, everyone wins!
Old 11-09-2004, 08:16 AM   #9
Duncan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will
Forget all those 'fancy' chain lubes - they are a total waste of money and they damage your chain!

I use a very very thin grease or gear oil - it is much much cleaner than those nasty spray on waxes and the like. Also if applied carefully with a paint brush it hardly flings at all.

Will

Will

I would like to think there is some technical argument behind this.

For years, chain lube manufacturers have spent loads of money on development and even more on advertising.....

Its no longer a case of removing a split link and boiling the chain in a can of lube once a month, what with O rings etc.

Its essential with an o ring chain to get oil past the O rings into the heart of the chain hence the reason why the lube is like penetrating fluid when first applied. It then sets to become anti fling or it would all be on the back tyre not the chain.

It has to lubricate. It has to condition the o rings. It has to stay on the chain. It has to be resistant to water sprayed from the tyre.

Chain lube aint perfect, its not as good as a Scottoiler but it certainly beats a tin of 3 in 1.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:04 PM   #10
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duncan
Will

I would like to think there is some technical argument behind this.

For years, chain lube manufacturers have spent loads of money on development and even more on advertising.....

Its no longer a case of removing a split link and boiling the chain in a can of lube once a month, what with O rings etc.

Its essential with an o ring chain to get oil past the O rings into the heart of the chain hence the reason why the lube is like penetrating fluid when first applied. It then sets to become anti fling or it would all be on the back tyre not the chain.

It has to lubricate. It has to condition the o rings. It has to stay on the chain. It has to be resistant to water sprayed from the tyre.

Chain lube aint perfect, its not as good as a Scottoiler but it certainly beats a tin of 3 in 1.

I totally disagree!!
1. Any lube or anything else that you put onto the chain MUST NOT get past the 'O' rings (or 'X' rings or what ever). The 'O' rings are there to seal in the grease that the chain manufacturer puts in to the chain - if this lubricant gets out then the chain will rapidly deterioate.

2. When some of these 'modern' lubricants 'set' after application they tend to collect grit which then acts a grinding paste. In fact MCN reported some time ago that 'Chain wax' tended to cause faster wear out of chains than the cheaper and more basic oils.

The best lubricant is proabably gear oil as it is specially designed to protest parts that rotate against each other.

Just because the manufacturers of these various chain lubricants say that it is good doesn't mean that it is - their objective is by clever marketing to convince you that thier products will work better than plain old gear oil - but in fact they do not.

A chain regularly cleaned chain (use kerosene only) and lubricates lightly with gear oil will probably last far longer than those lubed with 'fancy' spray on concoctions!!

See the DID website for their recommendations.
http://www.didchain.com/question.html

Will
Old 12-09-2004, 08:21 PM   #11
A Yerbury

"Just because the manufacturers of these various chain lubricants say that it is good doesn't mean that it is - their objective is by clever marketing to convince you that thier products will work better than plain old gear oil - but in fact they do not...."

It seems the D.I.D website does just that Will?! the properties of gear oil in reducing friction under stress and heat would certainly be suitable for a chain, however the chain is outside the bike and not in the sump, chain lubes are more adhesive which means they can stay stuck on performing their other function which is to repel water? As for grinding paste I dont think a poultice of sand and grit is much of a threat to modern armoured steel alloys.
just a thought.
AY.
Old 12-09-2004, 08:28 PM   #12
Nigel C

Bike spray

I use this in aerosol form it's PFTE based dries to a non tacky finish and does not fling off at all use it after every ride and any overspill on the wheels etc cleans them as well when you wipe it all down with a clean cloth
Old 12-09-2004, 10:17 PM   #13
NBs

I've been pondering this one for a while... thing is, what part of the chain need lubricating? I can only think that it's the bits inside the o-ring seals, where the chain lube doesn't get to! The chain doesn't need lubricating against the sprocket cos there's rollers that roll with the sprocket and not rub against it. The only thing I can think the lube does, apart from spraying over your back wheel, is protect it from getting wet!

What I do is clean the chain frequently with a rag wetted with water repelling oil... the chain stays clean and rust free, and last at least as long as when I used to use chain wax. It's just part of the weekly cleaning ritual, so isn't at all a pain in the arse to do.
Old 12-09-2004, 10:42 PM   #14
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Mmm, the debate goes on. For what it's worth, here's my two penneth....

Any dust that gets stuck in what ever lube you choose to use will most certainly act as a grinding paste to a lesser or greater degree depending on the particle size / density regardless of hardened steels used in chains. The chain over sprockets run is a very high stress application and it happens many times a minute so very small grinding actions soon start to add up...

I also understand that O or X ring chains are sealed and that lube doesn't get past the seals - the lube is required between chain and sprockets. A point to note is that WD40 and similar will bugger the seals - it causes them to swell and split.

Any lube is better than none, providing the chain is clean when applied. Soooo, clean and lube your chain for a long life. I use a Scottoiler (just wait for the sarcatic comments ... yawn) but I also clean the chain regularly and haven't needed to adjust it for nearly 3000 miles. Chainsaw oil is also supposed to be good which suggests that some oils are designed for chain applications.....

Ped
Old 13-09-2004, 03:11 PM   #15
Spike

I use a scott oiler on the monnie and chain lube on the 595 the monnie seems to have the cleaner chain and back wheel so its time to get another scott oiler for the rocket :burnout: