UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » how much is there to get out of a 600

Old 08-09-2004, 09:32 PM   #1
stef

how much is there to get out of a 600

How much more do you reckon you can pull out of a m600 carb.
k+n, cans, jets, without going to the extreme of nos, how much of an improvement can you get ? in my view, probably around 20bhp max ? am i far off the mark ? has anyone got a link with some sort of idea on this ?
the dilemna is the following: should i beef up the old m600, or should i save me cash, and go for a bigger cc in a couple of years time.
(The m600 as it stands is not powerfull enough for the use i have of it, and eventhough i trully love the bike, i could do with a bit more 'confort' around the 70mph mark) Would the extra 20bhp i would get with a few mod actually be enough ?
Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 PM   #2
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
As a 600 owner myself I think i can say the better you ride the bike, the more you ride it, the better the bike will perform. I used to want a bigger engine, still do but not as much as I can now use my 6 better.
Mines a 99 model and until this summer had standard gearing, then i dropped a tooth off the front and 4 or 5 off the rear, now she pulls soo much more up to 90 without a problem before she starts to squeeze for more power, used to be 75 before you'd sit there and wait for the speedo to climb. So that's the first thing to look at. I have open cans but no air box mod, no K&N, no carb changes at all. And I'm no skinny git.
Phoenix is the one to talk to on this subject, 'max' the magnificant moster is her 600, stage 2, open pipes etc and she's a much smaller frame than me, she gets 120mph without much problem i hear.

So look at the gearing, get the cans, then adjust the airbox to suit, and as the new saying on here goes, it's a 600, ride it like you hate it. :twisted:
Old 08-09-2004, 10:01 PM   #3
Scotty

hummm i cant make my mind up on this one
i wish i still had my 600 you could thrash it and proberyly avoide a permanant ban if you were caught
as far as wasting money goes thers an american saying 'there aint no substitute for cubes boy' or sumit like that the most cost effective way is proberly bigger engine (insurance mutter mutter mutter) thers also the other +'es of the next model up twin discs adjustable suspension etc again cheaper with a whole bike than upgradeing one without if ya see what i mean

and then thers that thouight of the 748/916 debate the higher reving engin different character and all that but im not sure the 600 reves higher anyways ~:?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:02 PM   #4
Scotty

umm some crazey wish i once had was a turbo 600
ummmm what was i thinking ~:?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:06 PM   #5
PaulS

In my experience the old adage that there's no substitute for cubes is correct. I think you're unlikely to get anywhere near an extra 20bhp out of an engine that produces 51bhp as standard just by going for cans, K&N and jets. I have a DP Termi kit fitted to my bike that includes an open airbox with different filter and upgraded ECU and Ducati only claim it gives an extra 4.8bhp. Probably the best and most cost effective way to get an extra 20bhp out of your bike is to swap it for a 900.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:08 PM   #6
A Yerbury

blimey how tiny is phoenix? I have those mods but dont go much over 105? (5,11 and 12 stone if ya must know) curse you dave, I may have to investigate dropping a few pegs at the rear now..are you 35-36? its the 30-80 that I like, If I was interested in getting more gatso shots-ahem- I'd just get an old gixer (probly will actually)
Old 08-09-2004, 10:12 PM   #7
PaulS

Spooky - seems like Scotty and I were simultaneously having exactly the same thoughts. I guess we must be right then!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:13 PM   #8
A Yerbury

as paul says the 900 is probably the cheapest but if you have a 6 and dont want to change then kehin carbs and a flywheel that weighs 3/4 less than standard on top of air box and cans should/could push you up to the 20 bhp mark? bearing in mind its a light bike but then 900s dont weigh much more.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:14 PM   #9
Scotty

umm i think we should build a club turbo 600 and dare people to ride it at mental boost just to see if the rear cylinder will go through their groin
Old 08-09-2004, 10:15 PM   #10
Scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
as paul says the 900 is probably the cheapest but if you have a 6 and dont want to change then kehin carbs and a flywheel that weighs 3/4 less than standard on top of air box and cans should/could push you up to the 20 bhp mark? bearing in mind its a light bike but then 900s dont weigh much more.

humm now i didnt think there was that much weight saving between models ~:? am i wrong ?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:22 PM   #11
A Yerbury

no you're right thats what I said, the weight increase is pretty marginal? perhaps some bore sorry enthusiast has the dry weights to hand?
Old 08-09-2004, 10:23 PM   #12
Scotty

il get my coat and another beer while im at it and perhaps some glasses and maybe a frontal lobotamy then i could post crap on the wheele thread
Old 08-09-2004, 10:26 PM   #13
PaulS

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
no you're right thats what I said, the weight increase is pretty marginal? perhaps some bore sorry enthusiast has the dry weights to hand?
I've just looked them up on Ducati.com but won't post them now. Ya boo sucks! Go back to that dodgey wine you were drinking this afternoon!
Old 08-09-2004, 10:27 PM   #14
A Yerbury

cheers!.....slurp. dont get your coat tho scotty just the weight specs. crap on the wheelie thread hmmm must have an eek.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:31 PM   #15
Scotty

humm your right i might get slated without a smileiley