UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » S4/S4 Challenge » New S4R owner with questions

Old 07-09-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
rjc

New S4R owner with questions

I'm getting my new S4R this weekend andm, in anticipation, I've been reading the owner's manual (sad, isn't it?!). I was very amused to read that you're meant to take the bike in to have the chain adjusted - surely not?????

I'm new to Ducati ownership, and new to London too . Are there any meets coming up? I didn't see anything upcoming mentioned in the forum.
Old 07-09-2004, 11:02 AM   #2
Melnie Mouse

ohhhh how exciting......

good luck and have fun... i'm sure you will...
Old 07-09-2004, 11:03 AM   #3
PaulS

If you want to pay £40 for some spotty teenager at your local Ducati dealer to adjust your chain then be my guest. Adjusting the chain on a Monster is no more difficult than any other bike. Yours will be easy as you don't even have to bother about wheel alignment. Don't expect to find the tools you'll need in the toolkit though! It's pathetic. Welcome to the club!
Old 07-09-2004, 11:06 AM   #4
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
as long as you haven't got two left hands or ten thumbs, i'd risk adjusting it myself!

probably be a few monsterisers at the ace cafe on thursday evening, see london region forum for map.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #5
rjc

Thanks for the replies. I'm glad to hear that the chain's not tricky. I took a quick look at the one on the demo bike I rode and there was no obvious way to adjust it though! How the hell does it work?

As for Thursday night Ace Cafe, there is a slight chance the bike will be ready then, but most likely Saturday morning, so if you see a blue/white Monster around London with a lost-looking rider it'll be me!

Richard
Old 07-09-2004, 02:37 PM   #6
PaulS

I'm not sure that I can explain this very easily but here goes. The rear wheel spindle goes through a round block of metal that is clamped in a boss at the end of the swinging arm. The hole in the block that the spindle goes through is eccentric. You loosen the clamp holding the block and rotate it which has the effect of moving the rear wheel backwards or forwards relative to the gearbox sprocket. Hope that helps! If you look at the end of the swinging arm it should be fairly obvious.
Old 07-09-2004, 02:42 PM   #7
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Hi mate..welcome and all that..youve just bought a gem of a bike Dont pay too much attnetion to the manual - especially the running in section etc !!! If you pay attention to that youll NEVER take your bike above 6k revs !! Ironically - if you talk to ducati UK they say that the latest generation of dukes dont really need to be run in at all (although I still treated mine gently for the first 1k miles!).

PeteS4 is organising a club meet on 12/9 at the new ducati aylesbury showroom and this would be a good opportunity to say hello..??

Cheers and good luck with the new bike..

Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #8
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NattyBoy
PeteS4 is organising a club meet on 12/9 at the new ducati aylesbury showroom and this would be a good opportunity to say hello..??
Was just going to suggest the same thing... check out the thread in National Events section, but basically - meet at the drive-in McDonalds on the A41 as you leave Aylesbury on the way to Bicester - 11am.

Also, you could even put a few miles on it on Saturday and come down to Brighton for the Speed Trials Lunch...

Hope to see you at the weekend...

xxx
Old 07-09-2004, 07:03 PM   #9
rjc

Wow, such hospitality! Thanks! Saturday sounds perfect, especially as the dealer says the bike might be ready on Friday. I'd do Sunday but got people coming for lunch ... and they just won't take a 'no'. Could someone give me details for the ride down pls.

Richard
Old 07-09-2004, 08:17 PM   #10
peteS4

hello fella.............. shame you cant make sunday but sure we'll see you soon.......... there always seems to be a few heading to the ace cafe on sunday for coffee........... i think slob is from your neck of the woods and is out often............. look through the events section............. always something going on............. and jmo doesnt seem to far from you. shes always doing something or other !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just dont call her lara !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-09-2004, 08:29 PM   #11
JMo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjc
Wow, such hospitality! Thanks! Saturday sounds perfect, Could someone give me details for the ride down pls.

Richard
Hi Richard - can't think of a nicer way to put a few miles on your new bike!

You can either meet us all at the restaurant itself (see the map/directions in the specific thread in Sussex Events) from midday, or if you wanted to hook up with a few others beforehand, P&H motorcycles in Crawley which is en route south - J10 of the M23 (tap postcode RH10 9RD into multimap.com and you'll find it ok) - they are on Gatwick Road, about 200yds up from Suzuki GB HQ, from 11am - leaving 11.30... just look for the Monsters (and a red 800SS) outside - they don't bite...

Hope to see you on Saturday then!

xxx
Old 08-09-2004, 08:04 AM   #12
slob

Quote:
Originally Posted by peteS4
...... i think slob is from your neck of the woods and is out often.......
That's quite a neck! I'm over in the East(Docks), so I tend to ride out Essex way...the roads are emptier and Londoners seem so busy(antisocial?). I'm not even sure who the London Rep is!?
Old 08-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #13
rjc

Hi Rob, I'm in Docklands too, 2 mins walk from South Quay DLR. Where are you?

Richard
Old 08-09-2004, 01:20 PM   #14
slob

I'm over by the airport, I didn't think there was much residential building at South Quay(I used to work at the top of Limeharbour, a few years back).
Mind you, the landscape changed a bit after 'the big bang' in '96.

Last edited by slob; 08-09-2004 at 01:24 PM..
Old 22-01-2005, 02:17 PM   #15
DesmoDude

Congrats man! Time ta start doin some mods.