UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Powder coating, paint or stove enamel?

Old 02-09-2004, 08:51 AM   #1
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Powder coating, paint or stove enamel?

I'm looking into getting various bits and pieces 'coloured' on my bike but there seem to a variety of finishes available. Anyone know the benefits/downsides or cost differences to painting, powdercoating and stove enameling. I guess most of the finishes would be lacquered anyway so I guess they will all look the same anyway?? Are some more resistant to chipping etc.

Thanks

best regards

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:15 AM   #2
A Yerbury

which bits? and who will be doing it? paining is a diy thang so cheap and good if you take your time. powder coats are better in terms of finish and longevity but will cost more.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:31 AM   #3
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
which bits? and who will be doing it?
just throwing around ideas at the moment and a lot dependent on cost but mainly the swingarm and trellis frame. The tank, cowl and other normal stuff will obviously be painted and lacquered but it is the frame and swingarm which are the questionable areas.

As to who will be doing it, I'm talking to a few people but have a few names so they should all be good people.

Thanks

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #4
A Yerbury

ahh, well I take it you realise powdercoating would recquire a complete strip down of the bike. which is a cost to consider (unless you take it all apart yourself)
Old 02-09-2004, 10:57 AM   #5
DesmoDog

Was it m900Dom who had his baby powder coated? He reckoned that the prices were comparable, but the finish was much better. I also read somewhere about stove enamel being too brittle, but I think that was on the exhaust. The thread is here somewhere called "my project with piccies - hopefully" or something like that. He includes links.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:00 AM   #6
A Yerbury

it was, he's the chap to speak to really. I did frame and swing arm in situ. not quite a showroom finish but no longer looks like a grubby ten year old bike.
Old 02-09-2004, 11:04 AM   #7
DesmoDog

Alex, did you paint the swing arm? Or have you polished it? Does anyone know about polishing? You can't buy the "rouges" here to do it with, only kits. Or does anyone else know different?
Old 02-09-2004, 11:30 AM   #8
A Yerbury

I painted (the exposed steel started to rust after polishing -durrr) and I wanted as much of the frame/engine/arm etc gloss black. x is polished adjuster ends and y is the arm of roadracing minimudguard thing. paint was brush on 1 layer red oxy primer 2 layers vht gloss black and a few blasts of tough lacquer with some carbon adhesive to fend of stone chips. obviously no cans in this pic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sa.jpg (42.4 KB, 119 views)
Old 02-09-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
DesmoDog

do you use a spray gun for the laquer
Old 02-09-2004, 11:58 AM   #10
crust
rattles when he walks

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoDog
Alex, did you paint the swing arm? Or have you polished it? Does anyone know about polishing? You can't buy the "rouges" here to do it with, only kits. Or does anyone else know different?
here you go, they sell everything you need:

http://thepolishingshop.co.uk/

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:13 PM   #11
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Powder coating is ideal for frame and stuff as it's very tough. The other option would maybe be 2Pack paint but it's gonna be more expensive. You'll probably get a slightly better finish with the 2 Pack - if memory serves it's epoxy based and durable but is also very toxic so you can't do it in yer shed!!

I've found a guy in Hampshire that will strip and powder coats wheels for about £50 and will do other stuff too.

I'd go for powder coat on frame, wheels etc and 2Pack paint on other stuff

Ped

Last edited by Pedro; 02-09-2004 at 04:18 PM..
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 12:14 PM   #12
DesmoDog

Cheers crust, Ped dont you mean can't
Old 02-09-2004, 01:59 PM   #13
grunter
Administrator

Bike: Other Ducati
power coating

i got a man in slough sss for mine £20 black done in two days had me royal enfield frame done for about
£60 blasted and power coated
Old 02-09-2004, 06:28 PM   #14
berto

Give ak a shout he seems to do all that stuff
Old 27-09-2004, 11:45 PM   #15
Phoenix

Had my engine cases powder coated by local coaters, both sides and both hangers and foot pegs blasted. Cost me £50. Bit of a bitch to get them all back on again but was just a matter of tapping out one or two threads.
One sides great but had my regulater go just after i had them done and it spat battery acid out the overflow over the bottom of my case and kinda buggered it a bit. Not bad enough to make me take em off again though.
They do some fantastic finishes too.
http://www.redditchshotblasting.co.uk/