UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » ignition module faulty ?

Old 14-08-2004, 02:13 PM   #1
stef

ignition module faulty ?

I have been getting hell from the monster since i left her standing while i was on holiday. She was runing poor thrusday morning, then fail to start thrusday eve, (had to get recovery to get me back home) and she hasnt fired up since.
I have checked most things electrical, but i am still getting a pretty weak, or no spark at all, on both cylinders. The coils seem ok, and so do the pickups. i have wd40'ed all the connectors, still no luck. last thing i can think of is that the ignition modules have had it.
Has anyone ever experienced this fault before ?
Old 26-08-2004, 04:24 PM   #2
IpauloGTS

Hi Stef

I just noticed your thread having gone back to check mine (the one before in electrical). Have you had any joy? It sounds unlikely that two ignition modules would pack up simultaneously - although I'm sure stranger things have been known.

I'm still waiting for spare pick-up coils. Nearly three weeks and little interest from Ducati. I hope I've diagnosed the problem properly if I eventually get them.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 26-08-2004, 04:51 PM   #3
stef

well,
it turned out that it was the spark plugs that were faulty after all. the spark was fairly weak, so i cleaned them , but that did not make any difference.
i finally replaced them, as i needed to buy some spares anyway, and presto, the bike started first time...
they were fairly new (<1000 miles) but still..
Old 26-08-2004, 05:10 PM   #4
IpauloGTS

Glad you had such a cheap and easy fix. If only...

Paul.
Old 26-08-2004, 09:44 PM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Stef

I've had issues with new plugs too. Bought some last year that lasted no more than 500 miles before they were fubar. Not cheap one either!

Always worth keeping a spare set in the garage and starting with the simple checks first.

Ped