UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Running on one and tried all I know - HELP!

Old 06-08-2004, 08:19 PM   #1
IpauloGTS

Running on one and tried all I know - HELP!

Been away on holiday for about three weeks and return to find the bike which has never missed a beat will only run on the rear cylinder. No spark to the front and the sun is shining!

Expected a bit of condesation at the worst but..

Stripped everything down and tried as much as I can given illogical tendencies and this is what I find after a days head scratching.

Coils seem fine although secondary readings fall outside of Haynes limits of 10.8k ohms - 16.20 ohms with 16.29 and 16.71.

A few dodgy bits of wire but nothing that couldn't be eliminated.

However at the moment I can't get a reading across the terminals of the front pick up coil wheras the rear is spot on.

Questions:

Could the pick up coil give up the ghost just by standing for a couple of weeks?

Is it an easy job to replace it/them?

Am I missing something like another dodgy connection that could cause this?

And does anyone know (or have their tank up to see) which way the two wires (red/white) go into the connector block from the front pick up coil to the left hand ignition control unit (as you sit on the bike). I took them out without noting which way and they are the only ones not colour coded in Haynes.

Any leads (arf arf) gratefully received.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 07-08-2004, 12:32 AM   #2
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
"And does anyone know (or have their tank up to see) which way the two wires (red/white) go into the connector block from the front pick up coil to the left hand ignition control unit (as you sit on the bike). I took them out without noting which way and they are the only ones not colour coded in Haynes."

I did the exact same thing! Trouble is my bike is still in the shop so I can't help..

Mine had tyhe same prob and it was simply thet the wires had frayed and snapped in the connectors themselves, and it wasn't visible. And the female part of the connector had stretched and thus wasn't connecting well. Pick up coils are a nightmare...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:33 AM   #3
IpauloGTS

Thanks Nick

"Pick up coils are a nightmare..."

I'll sleep soundly now.

Paul.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:20 AM   #4
nik_the_brief

Thay bloody well are, I had the same problem last year and it was compounded by the fact that I had to wait for the Ducati factory to have their summer holiday before I could get a new set delivered!

My pick up coil went after a few days just standing around as well. I eventually replaced the pair when the new 'uns arrived but wired it the wrong way around (it still ran but ate a spark plug in minutes). I had also forgotten to check out which way round the wires went.

I have to go out today but will check later and let you know which way round they go (unless I get beaten to it by another helpful member)
Old 07-08-2004, 02:50 PM   #5
IpauloGTS

Thanks Nik

No info. on correct way to wire yet but have continued my investigations and can't do much more till Monday.

Definitely no reading across front pick up leads which to me means there's a short circuit somewhere. The wires are a bit frayed at the end but not broken and it seems unlikely there would be a break inside the sheathing going down to the engine casing so I am left with the conclusion that the front pick up is a gonner. It's one of those things that drives me nuts - something giving up while sitting doing nothing!

Phoned Ducati Coventry but technical man not there till Monday but I was told that pick up coils and wiring are all available separately.
Is it received wisdom to do the lot? I presume it's a case of drain oil, split the case and replace the gasket afterwards. Do the new pick ups go on without messing up the timing?

Frustrated but thanks again for the advice.

Paul.
Old 07-08-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
nik_the_brief

The pick up coils and wiring sub-harness come as a complete set, you have to re-use the old plastic connectors though.

I'll certainly get back to you before the end of the weekend with the correct way round to wire them up (will try and take a couple of snaps to post up too).

Yep, the oil has to be drained as I found out to my detriment last year. Couldn't get another gasket and was told by Ducati Ashford that they no longer make 'em. Blue Hylomar does a reasonable job though.

As for the pick up coils themselves, refitting the new is no real hassle (the most difficult bit being threading the wires back through the grommet). The air gap should be fine if you leave the plates in place and just fix the new coils straight on to them.

Good luck on Monday.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:54 PM   #7
IpauloGTS

Cheers Nik

Nice to know someone's been there before but I bet I can find some new things to go wrong.

It seems crazy that Ducati can sell you the bits to go inside but not the gasket to put it back together.

Paul.
Old 08-08-2004, 12:27 PM   #8
nik_the_brief

Here ya go...

Left one -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010060medium.jpg (38.3 KB, 110 views)
Old 08-08-2004, 12:29 PM   #9
nik_the_brief

and right -
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010059medium.jpg (43.5 KB, 81 views)
Old 08-08-2004, 06:12 PM   #10
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Ducati wiring strikes again

This is weird. Had a butchers at my Haynes manual, and the wiring diagram there shows brown & green wires for the front cylinder pick-up, and brown & grey for the rear?

Nicks photos show what looks like red & white or yellow & black?

Confused - you will be
Old 09-08-2004, 07:54 AM   #11
IpauloGTS

Perfect Nik

I'll be talking to the parts dept. shortly.

Exactly Gary which is why I needed to see a pic. Those are the colours coming to the control unit from the ignition coils. Somewhere in the Ignition System chapter it does mention the red/white & yellow/black pairs though!

Cheers, Paul.
Old 09-08-2004, 01:07 PM   #12
nik_the_brief

Good luck.

I meant to say, splitting the crank case is not necessarily an easy job either. I couldn't find the right size or shape of puller for love nor money. In the end I had to improvise by making my own from three bolts and an old spanner with holes drilled through it at the appropriate points (as Space said - a total nightmare) but I got there in the end!
Old 13-08-2004, 04:09 AM   #13
IpauloGTS

Anyone else know where an appropriate puller can be obtained for removing the left hand crankcase cover?

From the pic in Haynes it looks like some kind of universal tool.

Cheers, Paul.
Old 13-08-2004, 10:08 AM   #14
A Yerbury

I found a spot of weld under the sprocket cover I could lever..just. once I had about 1 mm it all came out with a blunt plastic instrument. no more gaskets so you will need some 3bond.
Old 13-08-2004, 12:06 PM   #15
stef

me bike was also coughing up when i got back from holiday a couple of days ago.
managed to get to work on 1.5 cylinders, but it would not start in the evening. i had to call the recovery to get back home. I'll have a fiddle around this weekend.
I havent checked the coils yet...