UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Engine Warm-Up?

Old 30-07-2004, 06:51 AM   #1
madhatter
Gold Member

Bike: S4
Question Engine Warm-Up?

Ok. We all know that the advice is to let your Monster warm up before getting on and riding off, and the good reasons behind this.

But, who really has time to do this every time they leave the house, leave work, leave the pub at night etc. Also as most of us have Termis/Sils/or other loud cans, do you really do this consistently and stuff everyone else who may be asleep? :twisted:

My earlier 750 Monster (1997) doesn't have a temperature gauge, so how would I know anyway other than just feeling the engine warming up?

So what are your opinions? allow 1 minute at half choke? 2 mins at half choke or 5 mins at full choke and go back inside for a coffee before leaving??
madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 07:00 AM   #2
Dave in USA

1. Full choke until it starts, then back it off to half...

2. Put on lid, gloves etc....

3. Ride off gently and close choke lever gradually over the next mile or two...depending on the weather of course.

As for race cans....screw the locals!!

Dave

:burnout: :burnout:
Old 30-07-2004, 07:40 AM   #3
madhatter
Gold Member

Ahhhh.....a man after my on heart....full choke (wake up neighbours), half choke while putting on lid and gloves (can't hear neighbours shouting), ride off reducing choke as you go (missing objects thrown by neighbours)........sounds just like my routine a couple of hours ago! :twisted:

California Sunshine in UK at moment with 28 degree temperatures!!! :burnout:
Old 30-07-2004, 07:46 AM   #4
Shandy

I follow roughly what Dave does, apart from the full choke bit, I don't think i've ever needed that. I just use what ever it needs, as long as its above about 10 degrees i only need a touch just to get her going, if its above 15 degrees i don't need any.

For the first couple of miles or so i take it real easy not reving at all. All the traffic lights i have to drive through first help, as theres a bloody set every hendred metres or so , which gives lots of time sat ticking over.

I can't realy leave it ticking over where i keep it as the cans would wake the dead (especially at 7am if i'm riding to work). Its in a mates garage so i don't want to **** him or his neighbours off as i've nowhere else to keep her out of sight and out of the rain.

I've no idea when it is warmed up like yours mines to old to have a temperature gauge, i go for about ten minutes before giving it some! :lol:

Cheers,

Shandy
Old 30-07-2004, 08:22 AM   #5
madhatter
Gold Member

Hi Shandy,

I think I'm beginning to see a pattern here, we all seem to respect the fact that you must not blast the hell out of it from stone cold.......but at the same time we don't leave it running on half choke for 5 minutes and no choke for a further 5 minutes before kicking it into first gear! I also take it real steady through the gears for the first 5 -10 minutes and think this is fine.

Anyone have any other opinions......I have actually seen Harley-Riders start their bikes and leave them running for a good 5-8 mins before riding off on them to get them "up to temperature".....scarey..
Old 30-07-2004, 09:02 AM   #6
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Both monsters are started like Dave USA says:- start - leave on half fast idle while putting on helmet & gloves.

I keep below fast idle part open (only to stop possible chance of 'cut out' at end of road & also roundabout further down road), till oil temp shows. This can take anything from 2 to 5 miles - depending on ambient temps.
Gives tyres a chance to warm up too.

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2004, 09:09 AM   #7
Chris

I normally get my leathers on, start the engine on full throttle (that way you don't need the choke), and warm the tyres by doing a rolling burnout down the drive......!!!
Old 30-07-2004, 09:10 AM   #8
madhatter
Gold Member

I've also found it very difficult to get the balance right between; arriving at the first junction with the bike jerking like an idiot because there's too much choke............or gracefully gliding to a stall because there's too little choke.........either way it's easier for you "posh types" with your techno temp gauges.

I still have to use a rasher of bacon on the head casting, turning twice before arriving at the dual carriageway bypass!!!
Old 30-07-2004, 09:13 AM   #9
madhatter
Gold Member

Talking Discraceful Behaviour!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
I normally start the engine on full throttle and warm the tyres by doing a rolling burnout down the drive..!!!
........having ridden with you.........and me being the responsible, steady, influence of the Beds and Bucks regions.........I do not find this difficult to beleive.....
Old 30-07-2004, 10:54 AM   #10
Macca

I'm new at all this but for what it's worth......

Start engine - Set fast idle so I show about 1500/2000 revs, get togged up, lock up, kill the fast idle and set off - By this point the engine feels warm and it normally takes about 1-2 miles of easy riding before I get a temp reading

Macca
Old 30-07-2004, 10:57 AM   #11
madhatter
Gold Member

It sounds from the replies posted so far that this is the best approach, especially, as I said earlier, for those oldies of us who don't have the sophistication of either a rev-counter or a temperature gauge (yes, Ducati did build them like that in the olden days).... :burnout:
Old 30-07-2004, 11:06 AM   #12
Billy Bigwheels

Given the fact that Monnies used to come with the suicide stand I reckon Ducati think it's ok to ride straight off - surely they didn't expect you to sit there for 5 mins??

Any mechanics out there care to give us their wisdom?
Old 30-07-2004, 11:18 AM   #13
madhatter
Gold Member

Oh yeah....I forgot that....as well as no rev counter or temperature gauge, mine has the suicidal side stand, which flicks up just as you get off the bike, because you either haven't got it down properly or it was caught on the bottom of your boot.....had several near misses when I first got it, but seem to be getting used to it now (famous last words....crash...****e!)....
Old 30-07-2004, 11:39 AM   #14
Bobble

Hi everybody,
This is my first post since joining the elite monster ownership, my thoughts on warming up has always been to start up the bike with as little choke / revs as possible as not enough oil will be around the engine from cold, this (high revs) could do damage to un-lubricated parts, then once run for a short time to ride off gently and allow the engine and gearbox etc to warm up at the same time - warm engine and cold gearbox = different expansion rate in materials.

As I said thais is only my way of doing things, and as this is my fiirst monster I would be glad to hear if Ducati (or anybody reading this) could suggest a better way of warming up a monster ":lol:"

Bobble

p.s. any members in the midlands.
Old 30-07-2004, 11:43 AM   #15
madhatter
Gold Member

Your first Monster.... .....and it's an S4R.....

I hate you already....