UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » More lies (or rather omissions) from Haynes

Old 07-07-2004, 01:19 PM   #1
nik_the_brief

More lies (or rather omissions) from Haynes

Gave my Monnie a spark plug, oil and filter change last weekend.

Went into Ducati Ashford to get an oil filter, in line fuel filter, fresh crush washers etc. Very helpful guy behind the counter says, "You'll be wanting a new washer for when you remove and clean the in-line oil filter then mate". Now I had read the Haynes book of Lies (TM Spacemonkey) and nowhere in the massive tome is there any mention of said 'in-line' oil filter. Mr Helpful shows me a blown up parts diagram on his pc and points at the offending article. "You just have to remove it, wash it through with paraffin and then replace it with the new washer in place" says he. "Fine I'll take one of those there washers for the princely sum of 11 pence as well) I replied.

Sure enough, I get home, do the aforesaid oil and filter change and remove and thoroughly clean this here in-line thingamajig. Just like the guy said the filter was "covered in ****e". All better and replaced now, with the new washer etc.

Now I know that most of you are probably aware of the existance of this in-line filter (despite Haynes' complete failure to mention it) but I thought I'd just let the few who, like me, were previously unaware of this service requirement in on the secret...
Old 07-07-2004, 03:08 PM   #2
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Do you by chance mean the gauze filter at the side/bottom of the lump?
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 03:59 PM   #3
A Yerbury

that one is in the manual but is only done on lager sevice. sorry larger even......
Old 08-07-2004, 09:12 AM   #4
nik_the_brief

That's the one Space, it must be just me that couldn't find it in the book then!!
Old 14-07-2004, 08:17 AM   #5
zedhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Yerbury
that one is in the manual but is only done on lager sevice. sorry larger even......
All the servicing I do is lager servicing... which probably explains why things keep going wrong...
Old 14-07-2004, 01:24 PM   #6
nik_the_brief

That's a coincidence, the cost of my servicing always makes me 'bitter'. That's why I attempt to be a 'stout' fellow and do what I can for myself.
Old 12-09-2004, 01:12 AM   #7
Ewan620

The joy of haynes.

I am rebuilding a car engine at the moment and to quote Haynes "Bend back lock washer, undo bolts and remove flywheel". THREE Hours with ever increasing lengths of torque wrench a length of steel tube and two mates the first bolt loosened. Five left. Dont even start me on the Cam shaft, it's been emotional.