UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » oil prssure light!!!

Old 06-05-2004, 10:44 AM   #1
new boy larry

oil prssure light!!!

Please Help ..My oil pressure light is on!! However it seems to be activated only when it either rains heavily or washed thoroughly!! When the connector is removed there is water in the switch!! I am hoping that this is the fault!! As oil present and bike running fantastic. This is the 2nd switch in 2 years, last time it was the switch. It stays off for ages then suddenly - on .How do I test the switch. Please any help, but it needs to be in non engineering terms!!
Old 06-05-2004, 10:49 AM   #2
grunter
Administrator

Bike: Other Ducati
GET A WATER PROOF PLUG

IF THERE IS WATER IN THE PLUG THIS WILL ACT AS A SWITCH MAKING THE CIRCUIT, CANT SEE IT BEING THE SWITCH ITS SELF?
Old 06-05-2004, 10:55 AM   #3
steviej

Plenty o' WD40 should do the trick..................
Old 06-05-2004, 11:05 AM   #4
new boy larry

so i can squirt wd40 onto the connector in the switch? god i am thick!! "get a water proof plug.." where from and how will it attach. I can see another trip to Ducati. God they must rub their hands together when they 1st har me coming then finally see me..
Old 06-05-2004, 12:15 PM   #5
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
WD40 will do it .... open the connector, spray both switch and plug liberally and replace.

Ped
Old 06-05-2004, 01:17 PM   #6
PaulS

This is a common problem- been mentioned on here before. Does the warning light just glow slightly? I.e. not as brightly as when the ignition is on but the engine not running. This is caused by moisture in the switch itself. I've had three switches in two years and however much I try to seal the plug into the switch nothing seems to work. Every time I wash the bike the warning light starts to glow. I've tried drying out the switch by warming it in the oven which worked (for a while).
Old 06-05-2004, 02:36 PM   #7
new boy larry

Exactly that. It can either glow fully or not at all until you increase the revs..If fully sealed then surely no moisture can get in? Don't fancy putting it in the oven, knowing my luck!!
Old 06-05-2004, 03:35 PM   #8
cerebus

I heard somewhere (I think on this forum) that WD40 is slightly conductive so may not be the best thing for this problem.

Had the same thing on mine after heavy rain, I think the water came in down the wire into the top rather than through the seal. I put some silicon round that and it hasn't happened since, though I have replaced the switch since then as it died completely

Cerebus
Old 06-05-2004, 08:40 PM   #9
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
Christ, that's about the only 'common fault' I've never had. Fitted a new spec switch 15000 miles ago and even when it's Noah's ark weather it's still fine. Sounds like a good plan to fill the cap with silicon.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote