UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » S4/S4 Challenge » S4R, what its really like

Old 01-04-2004, 03:54 PM   #1
sidrat
ex S4rs owner

Bike: S4r
Thumbs up S4R, what its really like

As I was the person responsible for getting the best bike in the world beaten by a tractor on TV recently, I thought I would share my experiences with the S4R.
We love Monsters with the exception of two things. They are a bit small for two of us and they lack ground clearance when pushing on.
We looked at the S4 when it first came out and thought wow!, but having the 900 at the time couldn’t see how it was going to make use of all that extra power going around corners, so when the S4R came along, we took a test ride and were convinced. The extra ride height makes it feel a lot lot bigger than the old 900, and I just love the riding position, I have even got used to the strange angle of the levers.
Have been around a race track on the original tyres recently and can say that it will eventually ground the brake and gear change levers, unlikely to do this on the road, and this is on standard suspension settings. It also gets a bit wobbly heavy on the brakes, but that is part of the fun. The rear ride height needs playing with (it made a HUGE difference on our old ST4S), I am going to increase the ride height by about ½ inch and see if I can get an improvement. If anyone else has played with that, please let me know. I can then look at the rebound and compression.
In a straight line it will keep up with an Aprilia RSV until about 120mph, when the aerodynamics or lack of take over. But it is real FAST, absolutely destroyed the Ferrari (which was being thrashed) in straight line speed and acceleration at Castle Coombe, as well as a 998!!
The looks are fantastic, love the single sided swing arm and the stacked exhausts, but don’t know how I am going to carry luggage (this is our only bike). So the only down side is still the space for a pillion, which is a shame as the motor and chassis will take two easily. All of the aftermarket seats seem to make more room for the rider only??
Anyway the S4R is really a great bike and everyone that rides it is amazed at the power the handling and the riding style, I can’t see what would replace it, just saving up now for the D.P. stuff….oh and it needs a hugger.
Old 14-07-2004, 08:30 AM   #2
zedhead

Well, you could solve your luggage carrying problems by replacing it with a Buell...
Old 14-07-2004, 09:41 AM   #3
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhead
Well, you could solve your luggage carrying problems by replacing it with a Buell...
Heathen!

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2004, 06:15 AM   #4
sidrat
ex S4rs owner

We already own a campervan......more space, more style, more reliable and very nearly as quick as a Buell.......
Old 15-07-2004, 06:59 PM   #5
lox

Talking S4R Yes !!!

Having owned a 93 900 Monster (nice ) I got my S4R last Saturday I've just one thing too say, WAH HAY !!!
Rich :burnout:
Old 18-07-2004, 10:11 PM   #6
sidrat
ex S4rs owner

the s4r is bl**dy marvelous is it not!!!!! enjoy!!!
Old 20-07-2004, 11:12 PM   #7
Vman

S4r

Awsome, All the power and none of the pain.
Its the monster of monsters

I swapped my 996s for it and have`nt looked back. Great!!!

Just cant wait to get it on the track....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S4R Finished 1.JPG (37.2 KB, 119 views)
File Type: jpg S4R Finished 2.JPG (43.8 KB, 95 views)
Old 21-07-2004, 07:53 AM   #8
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
You took yer time Vman...
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote