UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » 1000SSie DS/900SL Project

Old 09-02-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
1000SSie DS/900SL Project

Thought you guys might like to see how I'm getting on with my Ducati Non-Monster project.

2003 Ducati 1000SS with that peach of a Duel Spark engine, Ohlins/Showa suspension, EFI etc. But Pig Ugly.

Now fitted with very pretty 1992 900 Superlight bodywork and Remus DP Oval cans.

It’s been more work than I thought, obviously, and I’ve still got a lot to do.
Spraying the seat unit was fun this weather with rattle cans in buckets or warm water and a hair drier warming the parts.

I’m going to change the seat unit numberboards I cut from White vinyl and paint them on with a slightly yellow or grey off-White paint as they are too White.
I’ve got some different Tank decals on the way to match the fairing ones, as the tank I used is late 90’s with a different colour decal.
Then I need to strip the whole thing down again and give it a deep clean under all the bodywork as I found some significant crud etc when I took the old bodywork off.

More info here:- https://www.ducati.community/threads...0/#post-314523

Nasher
Old 09-02-2021, 03:22 PM   #2
Moco1961

Looking good Nasher...............fairing is a huge improvement
Old 09-02-2021, 03:35 PM   #3
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
That looks fantastic, I think the 900ss/851 era of bikes is my favourite.

Is it pattern parts Nasher or original?
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Nasher

It's all original Ducati parts except the seat unit, which is quite a good copy of the SL part, and rear light.
Although the seat pad is genuine Ducati.

All the std 1000SSie DS parts are wrapped up nicely so it can go back to standard if required and I've not touched the frame.
Because despite it being really ugly, it's actually quite a rare bike.

Nasher.
Old 09-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #5
velosam

Bike: M1000ie
Very cool. Have a constant argument with a mate of mine who hates the early-90's shape - I love it. Then again, he doesn't like the Troll Supertwin inspired later models either!
velosam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 03:50 PM   #6
Bitza
Bronze Member

Bike: M900ie
Total transformation looking great now. The original was yes pig ugly, but I never "Got" what the designer was trying to create, it had no lines just bits going in & out all over. i.e. The bottom line of the fairing, has a defined kink which kind of looks like damage to me. So yes you've done the right thing. Bitza.
Old 09-02-2021, 04:29 PM   #7
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
What a transformation! Nice job.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:49 PM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

That looks pukka!
Old 09-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #9
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
Nice job Nasher, everything looks as if it belongs now instead of the "damage" that Bitza referred to.

The early SS was a classic looking bike, the only jarring note for me was the square headlight and to add injury to insult it was a pathetic light too.. Or at least mine was.

I wondered if you were considering anything with the lamp? I think we discussed it before?
I thought this was a good conversion, which I bookmarked in case I ever ended up with a Paso.. It might work on an SS or something like it?

http://ducatipaso.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=3261
Old 09-02-2021, 05:40 PM   #10
slob

Massive improvement! Nice work
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #11
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

It does look good, but I was glad to hear that you kept all the original bits. I'm a fan of the injected SS bikes, having had three of them so far, and I think that particular model with the five spoke wheels and Ohlins shock is a sure future classic ...
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 06:37 PM   #12
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Lovely job Nasher, the SL seat and upswept pipes only enhance what I think is a classic design anyway.
My first (and only) new bike was a 1992 750SS, wanted the 900 but couldn't afford it at the time. It was a wonderful bike, 4 Italian holidays 2 up and the only thing that went wrong with it in 35 k miles was a leaking oil pressure switch - I still have it - to be restored later this year
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:20 PM   #13
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

You've already mentioned some of the future improvements. The only thing that jars with me is the fairing logos would suggest an early white frame/black engine model, I had one the same. But if you're having it professionally painted it would look gpod in sliver like the 900FE model, just something a bit different imho.

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 07:22 PM   #14
Nasher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gazza View Post
The early SS was a classic looking bike, the only jarring note for me was the square headlight and to add injury to insult it was a pathetic light too.. Or at least mine was.

I wondered if you were considering anything with the lamp? I think we discussed it before?

Mr G.
I wasn't going to build it with the original headlight, but used it to set everything up and have got used to it.

The rear end has some tiny, just legal LEDs:

And the eventual plan for the front is to use a race front fairing piece I have with no current headlight aperture, and a single small round projector offset to one side.
I already have the projector, it has just one bulb filament and a solenoid operated internal flap for Dip and main beam.
I'll get some images tomorrow.

Nasher
Old 10-02-2021, 02:28 AM   #15
yellowfever

Bike: S2r 1000
Love it, nice work.

I think some designs get misunderstood and only later come into their own. We’ve seen how the various monster updates over the years have divided opinions, some later getting better accepted, some less so.

The 999 springs to mind as another obvious example from Ducati. I for one quite liked it even at the time, though its looks were widely detested back then. Eventually time caught up to its then futuristic look and I think it’s much more appreciated today (maybe more than the 1098 which was I think a bit of a 916 pastiche and to me just screams fear driven rehashing). Ducati should maybe have held their nerve there, though the Panigale was certainly a daring and successful return to more cutting edge form.

And going further back I have a soft spot for the 860 GT designed by Giorgetto Giugiaro, who had a similar problem of updating an iconic and widely loved bike. Everyone loves his Ducati font, the bike not so much. And many of them have consequently been turned into specials or 900ss clones etc. A shame I think as I quite like the design...

So I applaud your decision to keep all the original removed bits safe and make everything reversible back to standard.

BUT I have to say I think the 1000ss model is the exception to the rule of give it some time and the design will come into its own and be appreciated. It looks like it’s been repeatedly hit with the ugly stick then wandered dazed into the road and been hit by a sewage truck before catching fire and melting its bodywork into a shape like a well used church candle made from pensioners earwax... even painting it yellow didn’t help it, so we know it’s looks are beyond redemption... (though the half faired option is a bit better...).

On the other hand I really like the 900ss it’s a great looking bike. There is one often parked in the street near me and I always stop to take a look if I’m walking past - there would definitely be room in my fantasy lottery win garage for a 900SL any day. And the 1000cc DS motor is a peach so putting the two together is genius.

Many thanks for posting the build thread link, I needed a new build thread to devour given the excellent ones I’ve been following here are nearly done... good look wity the further work, keep us posted even if it’s not a monster...
yellowfever is offline   Reply With Quote