UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Ignitech Ignition unit TCIP4.

Old 29-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #1
Nasher

Bike: M900
Ignitech Ignition unit TCIP4.

To make it easier for other members searching for information I thought I’d start a new thread about the Ignitech TCIP4 ignition unit I’ve purchased to replace the two IC Ignitors on my 1997 M900.

The thread that started me down this route is here:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=56817

And a link to the unit itself is here:
http://www.ignitech.cz/en/vyrobky/tcip/tcip.htm

My thanks go to Dukedesmo for posting on the original thread.

My order turned up yesterday just a few days after placing it.
1 x TCIP4 Pre-programmed with standard settings for my 1997 Ducati Monster 900.
1 x set of connector adaptor/cables.
1 x USB/COM cable to communicate with the TCIP4 via my laptop.
All the instructions, software etc are emailed to you when you place the order.

It appears to be very well put together, I work in the Aviation Electronics industry so have a certain expectation, and was pleased to see everything neatly finished etc.
The guys at Ignitech proved very easy to deal with.
They prefer to be paid by Bank transfer but give the option of PAYPAL.
My bank would not let me transfer money to their IBAN code so I had to use PAYPAL, but it was probably safer for me anyway.

The instructions to ‘play’ with the ignition timing had been emailed to me when I placed the order, and appear to be quite straight forward.
My M900 has V2 heads, a K&N panel filter, a Dynojet Stage 2 Kit, and Remus Ducati Performance exhaust cans, I’m not really expecting it to need non-standard settings, but might have a play anyway and see what happens.
I do need to get it on a Dyno to fine tune the Dynojet kit, so having the ability to adjust the ignition might be a bonus.
I’ve previously set the Pick-up positions using a degree wheel, so know they are good.

I also have long term 900SS project on the go which has a few more mods including a 966Big Bore kit, so another unit will be purchased for that if my experience with the one for my M900 is good.

I didn’t have a lot of time last night, but couldn’t resist plugging it in for a quick test.

It’s not immediately obvious what plugs in where without consulting the connector pinout instructions supplied, which is the only way to establish which of the 3 way connectors is for the Vertical cylinder and which is for the Horizontal Cylinder. Once that’s established it’s easy to decide which of the two pin connectors is which as they are colour coded.
1 x 3 pin and 1 x 2 pin in Black, the other one of each are in Natural colour.

I disconnected the 3 pin and 2 pin connectors from both IC Ignitors and plugged the cables into the new loom attached to the TCPI4 ,and just ran the cable down the side of the battery so I could lower the tank and start the engine.

It started immediately, and settled down to a nice idle on the choke with no trouble.
It’s probably excitement/wishful thinking, but I’m sure it idled better than it did. Only a good blast when I’ve mounted it properly will prove it’s worth.

Pics to follow when I place it more permanently.

Nasher
Old 29-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #2
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
TCIP4 is a great unit and if you also upgrade your discharge pack boy does it pickup better.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #3
Darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
TCIP4 is a great unit and if you also upgrade your discharge pack boy does it pickup better.
Do you have a favourite for those?
Old 29-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #4
Darkness

Thorough and very interesting Nasher.
I’m looking forward to the next instalment.
Old 29-08-2018, 10:36 AM   #5
Nasher

Saint, I’m planning on a pair of Exactstart coils but have spent rather too much on the old girl lately!
My 966SS project has even stalled because I’m spending any money I can justify on the M900 instead.

Have you, or anyone else, had any reliability issues with the TCIP4?
Under the tank of a Carbie Monster or SS isn’t the most friendly of environments for a box of electronics, what with the heat, temperature cycling and vibration.

I’m probably going to leave the original Ignitors in place for a while and mount the TCIP4 behind the battery so I can swap back easily if it packs up whilst I'm miles from home.

Darkness, will keep you updated.

Nasher.

Last edited by Nasher; 29-08-2018 at 10:38 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2018, 11:02 AM   #6
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Have you, or anyone else, had any reliability issues with the TCIP4?
Only problem I had was one of the wires pulled out of the connector in the large plug into the unit due to poor crimping.

It was the signal wire for the horizontal cylinder coil so the bike ran on just the rear, actually sounded OK and idled smoothly enough but had no power.

Easy enough to fix but not immediately obvious where the break was as the sheathing of the wire was still held in the connector with just the core having pulled out, meaning it didn't look broken.

Also need to be careful with routing the wiring as I had a slightly 'jumpy' idle, with advance flitting about on the strobe due (I think) to running the OEM cable from the pickups too close to the rear cylinder plug lead. I re-routed the pickup cable behind the carb manifold so that they didn't crossover and the problem went away.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 06:30 PM   #7
Nasher

First ride out with the TCIP4 fitted this afternoon.

It has definitely made a difference to the old girl.
She feels a little smoother, picks up a bit quicker and cleaner, and feels like she has a bit more mid range.

I'm not happy with the fitment at the moment, to get out for a ride I just tucked it under the battery straps, but need to do something much better.

Nasher.
Old 03-09-2018, 05:58 AM   #8
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

What Duke Desmo said no failure for 3y I had it on bike. Then sold the unit on. Cable routing is important and I also had irradic idle when cables were to close to sparkplug cables.

CA cycleworks was where I got my discharge pack. Exact sales the same thing but I do not like the guy so still prefer to get from CA.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 03-09-2018, 07:54 AM   #9
Nasher

Thanks Saint.

Where did you, or Dukedesmo, mount the unit?
I’m aware the cable routing is sensitive.

I had a look yesterday, but because I wanted to get out and try it I just put it on top of the battery tucked under the rubber straps.
That’s obviously not ideal, but I can’t see where else to put it.

It won’t fit where one of the original IC Ignitors is currently, although I could make a new bracket and shunt the coils over to the Port side to make room.

The cable is long enough to run it back and put it under the saddle, but it’s too big to fit under there with the standard tool box lid in place in the bottom of the saddle.

I thought about making a bracket to mount it on the back of the battery tray, but that puts it right above the Vertical cylinder head and I’d be concerned about the heat.

The only places I can see are the gap alongside the suspension rocker, but I’d want to make a tray to fit it there, or behind one of the side panels, which I’d worry about if I was using the bike in the wet.

Nasher.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:17 AM   #10
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

I had a Lithium battery so had plenty of space left.

Frankly I had custom bracket for all parts under the tank as dynacoils are also bigger then stock.

"I am Lucazade"
Old 03-09-2018, 10:29 AM   #11
Dukedesmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasher View Post

Where did you, or Dukedesmo, mount the unit?
Due to my carb setup (split-single FCR) I removed the airbox, I also fitted different coils which were larger (underneath the relay bank) so relocated everything, the Ignitech sits just in front of the battery.

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2018, 11:02 AM   #12
Nasher

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to have to persevere with making space.

I think my best option is to shunt the coils to the port side by modifying the bracket. I do really want to upgrade to the CCW Coils, but the images I've seen look like they'll fit in the standard space.

Nasher
Old 03-09-2018, 07:08 PM   #13
Billbo

I have the exactcoils fitted to my 750. From what I remember of my old 750ss for comparison, the monster starts instantly every time.

Old 04-09-2018, 06:20 AM   #14
Nasher

Thanks Billbo, it's good to see they fit in the standard space.

Your image has also reminded me that I have a bit more height to play with than I was thinking.
My M900 came fitted with separate K&N Filters, I've since replaced the airbox, but never fitted the lid because I made up an Aluminium clamp plate to hold the filter down instead.

I was thinking that the top of the coils was about as high as I could go without touching the underside of the tank, but your image has reminded me how much higher the airbox lid is than the coils, so I should be able to mount the TCIP4 upright if I shunt the coils over to Port by modifying the bracket.
Just need some time in the garage to do it, hopefully this weekend coming.

Nasher

Last edited by Nasher; 04-09-2018 at 06:29 AM..
Nasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 09:45 AM   #15
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
1938 Morris 12/4 series 3?