UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » M1100s Rear shock absorber siezed.

Old 21-02-2018, 03:13 PM   #1
Mossleymonster

Bike: M1100s
M1100s Rear shock absorber siezed.

Had a problem getting the rear wheel out, but thanks to a post on here regarding the same for a 1200R I've just been to machine mart and bought that mains powered impact wrench (£72.00) wheel out in a trice!

Next week I'm supposed to be taking my forks and shock absorber to Teut in Preston for servicing and a new rear spring...

Anyhoo, once the wheels out and the hugger removed I attached my nice new impact wrench to a 10mm allen bit and attempted to undo the lower bolt. Given that this impact wrench is capable of something in excess of 400Nm I expected a similar result to the wheel.

Fecking no chance! this bolt is siezed!!!

Has anyone had this problem and found a cure? It looks like it's going to be an awkward one this !

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 22-02-2018 at 09:45 PM.. Reason: Taken the pictures out
Mossleymonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 04:28 PM   #2
rollo22

Bike: M1100evo
Give it a good soaking in a penetrating type oil/spray.
It may help to give it a good sharp bang to get the oil in.
You could undo it at the top to aid access ?
Old 21-02-2018, 06:30 PM   #3
jonzi
Mary Mary Quite Contrary

Bike: M796
I had to have my swing arm off a few years back. I think it took heat, whacking and breaking a few snapon sockets to get the shock out and the swing arm off.
jonzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 06:49 PM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Try soaking it with Plusgas for a few days?

Termignoni and Bucci - Italian for pipe and slippers!

S4 Fogarty, S4R 07T, 748, Series 1 Mirage
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 08:44 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
I had a problem seeing the HUGE pics of part..Heard of a few not undoing easy on these.. Brute force after a soak is only option hoping it succeeds
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Find someone with one of those induction heater to get the nut really hot, sucker will spin off no problem
Old 21-02-2018, 10:09 PM   #7
Luddite

The 1100S set up is the same as my 1100 Evo so should only be 42Nm and lubed with molybdenum grease. The bolt is buried snugly and quite deeply within the swinging arm so you're unlikely to get an induction heater round it.

The threaded portion is blind and to the left of the shock eye so it's difficult to get penetrating fluid in there; just squirting it at the bolt head won't work. Try directing the fluid at the gap between the left side of the shock eye and the swing arm. If you've got a hot air gun, try pointing that on a low setting to the left of the shock eye. Be careful not to damage the swingarm paint.

Is the bolt head still in good condition or did the impact gun round it off? Is your impact bit chrome moly (black) or vanadium (silver)? Only use chrome moly with the impact gun.

Assuming the bolt head and impact bit are still good, with penetrating oil and heat, try the gun again. Give it several 4 or 5 second bursts rather than one long one and keep checking the condition of the bolt and bit - any hint of distortion or rounding off, stop immediately.

Hopefully, with heat, oil and continued use of the impact gun, you should get it off. You might want to replace it with a new one once it's out.

When you reassemble, torque it up to 42Nm after lubing it with moly grease.

Good luck!
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 05:07 AM   #8
Luddite

PS as you've got good access to the bolt, you could also try good old-fashioned brute force and ignorance with a breaker bar if you feel the impact wrench isn't having the desired effect.
Old 22-02-2018, 07:43 AM   #9
bobbertandsammy

I use XCP Pro as a penetrating fluid, give it a good soak and go back to it in a day. Do you have an impact driver - one of the ones you hit with hammer - to try? Sometimes it gets bolts out for me that my air or electric guns can't budge.
bobbertandsammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #10
Mossleymonster

We move on, left it with penetrating oil, then warmed it, then penetrating oil, then 450Nm impact wrench from machine mart. then put the breaker bar on it and gave a tug, guess what, the allen socket has snapped off inside the head of the bolt.

Swing arm removal time, lets hope the swing arm spindle isn't siezed.
Old 22-02-2018, 11:23 AM   #11
Luddite

Ouch! That's one stubborn bolt. Was it a chrome moly allen socket or chrome vanadium?

What's the plan once the swinging arm's removed? Do you plan to drill it out?
Old 22-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #12
Mossleymonster

I don't know exactly which type of plasticine the key was made from, academic now lol.

Anyway, I have the Abba Superbike stand complete with "Universal Swing Arm removal Adapters" so, just to be sure, I rang a nice chap at Abba stands to ascertain exactly where to fit said adapters... Response. They don't work on Ducati Monsters due to the footrest arrangement. (Great)

I have limited workspace and no ability to suspend the bike whilst attempting the swing arm removal

Eventually I rang Pete at Bury Motorcycle centre where I got the bike from, he's not phased at all, taking the bike there next week. They are going to remove the swing arm/shock and the forks, so that they can be serviced/resprung for my weight and then re assembled. he says he has an engineer that will make short work of the offending bolt!!!

We shall wait and see, undoubtedly this is going to be costly... On the plus side it won't be at Ducati rates.

Last edited by Mossleymonster; 22-02-2018 at 12:01 PM..
Old 22-02-2018, 12:16 PM   #13
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
That's a bit of a bugger, hope it isn't too 'spensive.
Old 22-02-2018, 12:41 PM   #14
Mossleymonster

To add insult to injury the new pannier brackets just arrived! No point in fitting them now, although maybe it's time to find all the other fecking siezed bolts.....
Old 22-02-2018, 12:48 PM   #15
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Can of worms. I still wonder whether Space Monkey ever got that rear engine mount bolt out of his early m900 he was planning to restore
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote