UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » 1100 Evo battery charger connections

Old 30-11-2017, 05:08 PM   #1
crawsue
Bronze Member

Bike: M1100evo
1100 Evo battery charger connections

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere,but although there is plenty of Google stuff I haven't found an answer that makes sense...( to my electrickery challenged brain).
When I bought the bike the previous owner removed the seat and pointed to a connector plug and said it was for the charger, I didn't pay close enough attention so when I went to attach my Optimate there isn't a connector that works.
I understand that there might be a compatible adaptor lead that will allow the Optimate to plug in and not involve digging down into the battery to fit a standard Optimate lead.
Pleased to get any advice on battery charging on a 1100evo.
crawsue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 06:53 PM   #2
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

The battery terminals are a bugger to get to easily. I fitted an optimate lead even though I don't use an optimate charger. I use it to provide power to a 12v socket for a satnav. The charger lead has a female terminal. I got a couple of mini crocodile clips & soldered them on to two separate lengths of flex (one red, one black if poss.) on the other end I fitted a spade terminal. I can now fit the crocodile clips to the optimate terminal & attach the clips from the battery charger to the spade terminals very quickly so it doesn't matter what charger you use. Make sure you make the lengths of flex different lengths so the spade terminals can't touch & short out.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #3
Luddite

As BRD said, it's a real pain to reach the battery on the Evo so you really need a remote charging lead for convenience.

What does the existing plug look like? If it's a multi-pin arrangement, then it's the diagnostic plug and you'll need the Ducati charger if you want to use it. I believe you can use the Ducati charger on an Optimate socket, (with suitable adapter), but not the other way round.

On the other hand, if it's a two -pin socket like this:

then it's an SAE type as used by C-TEK and other chargers. If that's what you've got then you'll need one of these adapters.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/High-Quali...7/332039593678
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #4
Doggy

Bike: M796
That plug under the seat will be the DDA port . Ducati data analaysis .

I bought a ducati charger off ebay that came with a few different leads and connectors . My 796 came with a lead connected under the tank so I plug into that .
My dads 821 lead connected to the battery in the swingarm was dead so I used one of my spare leads and plugged it into the DDA port and it charged straight away .
Doggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2017, 07:38 PM   #5
garry

a pic of what you have may help.
Old 30-11-2017, 08:10 PM   #6
crawsue
Bronze Member

Thanks.

It looks as though the Ducati charger utilises the DDA connector block ( 1 of 3 different blocks grouped together under the seat). I'm not sure which one that is. But it must be probable that one of the Optimate leads available (many on Amazon) would allow plugging an Optimate into the DDA block. Someone out there will know which one.... hopefully!
Old 30-11-2017, 08:21 PM   #7
crawsue
Bronze Member

On further investigation it looks like Optimate do indeed do a lead.....047 Optimate SAE to Ducati Lead is shown on their website....can anyone confirm that this is for fitting through the DDA block?
Old 30-11-2017, 09:29 PM   #8
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
....can anyone confirm that this is for fitting through the DDA block?
After looking under my saddle, I think you're right - the O47 will allow you to plug your Optimate into the DDA socket.

The socket itself is the four pin item attached to the plastic tray with a small rubber strap. If you pull the dust cover off you'll find a yellow plug and it's onto this that you attach the O47 adapter.

Note that, if your Optimate is old and doesn't have an SAE connector, then you'll also need the O17 adapter that I mentioned in my earlier post.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by Luddite; 30-11-2017 at 10:44 PM..
Old 01-12-2017, 08:02 AM   #9
crawsue
Bronze Member

Talking Excellent!

That sounds just the ticket, Luddite, was a bit hesitant having read the manual re accessing the battery, but this lead will fit my fairly modern Optimate and I can switch it about Between the rest of the "fleet". Trific
Old 05-12-2017, 01:10 PM   #10
crawsue
Bronze Member

Charging through DDA plug.

Sorted! Attached Optimate lead number 47 to the DDA plug under the seat. Turns out my Optimate charger had the original style connector block, but Optimate lead number 17 is basically an adaptor and allows connection from old to new.
Old 19-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #11
crawsue
Bronze Member

696 Optimate connectors.

Having sorted out the 1100 Evo Optimate connection by utilising the DDA socket, the new owner of my 696 bought an new Optimate which of course doesn't fit the old style lead fitted to the battery....does anyone know if there s an adaptor lead to convert new to old, or does the 696 have a similar DDA socket that can be utilised? Cheers, CR
Old 19-12-2017, 01:12 PM   #12
davkyt

... So basically the only no fuss options are an optimate plus adapter £70 or the ducati one for £80
Old 19-12-2017, 05:37 PM   #13
Luddite

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawsue View Post
Having sorted out the 1100 Evo Optimate connection by utilising the DDA socket, the new owner of my 696 bought an new Optimate which of course doesn't fit the old style lead fitted to the battery....does anyone know if there s an adaptor lead to convert new to old, or does the 696 have a similar DDA socket that can be utilised? Cheers, CR
I think this is the adapter:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...54&postcount=2

I don't know for sure but I would expect the 696 to be chargeable through the diagnostic plug in the same way as the 1100.
Old 19-12-2017, 08:00 PM   #14
Tim88

http://[url=https://postimg.org/image/568p6qqkt/][/url]http://[url=https://postimg.org/image/4gpwubkvh/][/url]

This is the thing I made from a piece of perspex and some copper mains cable soldered to a suitable in line fuse and a connector for my charger. I used this into the four pin connector under the seat of my 696. The perspex is asymetric so that I could not get the polarity wrong. All my charger fittings use that same RC car type fittings.

I use the charger via a connection to the battery on the 1100 evo in the usual way rather than monkey around under the seat.

Tim
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2017, 08:12 PM   #15
Tim88

http://[url=https://postimg.org/image/kk2dubp19/][/url]

Sorry, forgot to send photo of my curly cable connected to cigarette socket for use with my satnav. This just plugs into the usual tender lead socket where it emerges from under the tank and then is tucked into my tankbag.
Tim88 is offline   Reply With Quote