UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Cam belt tensioners

Old 08-10-2017, 07:17 PM   #1
Bigxr

Cam belt tensioners

Has anyone had experience of aftermarket cam belt tensioners?
I just changed the belts on mine, and one movable tensioner was seized solid, don't know how long it had been like this, but the belt wasn't too bad, it had just gone all polished and shiny on the rear of it! (and that is after three years and about 15,000 miles since last change).
I couldn't get the bearing off the housing, so I thought, don't bugger about, change the lot.
As the bearings wont come off the holder, I need the housed bearings which look to be a single double-width bearing now, not the double-single bearings as fitted to my bike. Ebay lists kits from Germany around the £180 - £200 mark for the two movable and the two fixed bearings delivered, but they are aftermarket bearings.
Has anyone DIY'd the bearing change, or does everyone just get Luigi to do it!!
Old 08-10-2017, 07:31 PM   #2
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
The double bearing ones are £5 each bearing roughly and not cheaply ones I just changed all of mine but the tall tensioner ones were OK. They are the same as the clutch pressure plate ones
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
Darkness

Hi Bigxr: how are things at the dirty castle?
If you read the codes off the bearings you can get SKF or other quality replacements far cheaper than Ducati prices.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
Bigxr

Hi Albie, the two movable ones are pretty shot, the seized one won't come off at all, and the good one will probably need to be destroyed to release the bearings from the shaft (two days of soaking/bashing and pressing hasn't budged it!). I concluded that the complete thing needs replacing. It would be great if I could get away with just replacing the bearings, but the holder is shot, so I'm biting the bullet and changing the lot.
I was just wondering if anyone had experience of aftermarket kits from ebay.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Bigxr

Hey Darkness, Caerfilfy is fine, I need the complete assembly not just the bearings, I wish it wasn't so. :-(
Old 08-10-2017, 09:25 PM   #6
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigxr View Post
Hi Albie, the two movable ones are pretty shot, the seized one won't come off at all, and the good one will probably need to be destroyed to release the bearings from the shaft (two days of soaking/bashing and pressing hasn't budged it!). I concluded that the complete thing needs replacing. It would be great if I could get away with just replacing the bearings, but the holder is shot, so I'm biting the bullet and changing the lot.
I was just wondering if anyone had experience of aftermarket kits from ebay.
They are a press on fit.. I had to press mine off as the inner must not spin as defeats the object.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:25 PM   #7
Bigxr

Yeah, I get that, it would be a nice saving to just change the bearings, but an expensive mistake if the refitted bearings broke down due to my ham fisted attempt at fitting them.
For the record, I've changed lots and lots of bearings bushes etc - most recently rebuilding an ancient Montesa 315R rear linkage and swingarm bushes/bearings which was no picnic, but these tensioner bearings seems a lot more stubborn. They've been in there for 11 years...
Old 09-10-2017, 06:53 AM   #8
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

No worries I understand
Most may I say that loosely by dealers anyhow but seeing I was doing a complete engine overhaul wanted to try and changed myself
Old 09-10-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
Bigxr

My main problem is how to "launder" the cost without her-who-should-be-obeyed finding out!!
(Nice 900 by the way. )
Old 09-10-2017, 12:16 PM   #10
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Thanks btw lol. This is just a service cost like your car. It's in the interests of having something devalued or worth more if serviced and running. My missus is ok she believes in me creating good
Old 09-10-2017, 12:29 PM   #11
BLUNT

This advice may be too late now but the Clarke bearing pullers from Machine Mart do work well. This is on my M1000 which is same as S2R
As you bolt the two halves together the wedge action initially pulls the bearing along the shaft so the two halves can be closed more and get behind the bearing.
If you do take your bearing to a supplier do make sure the new bearings comply with the SKF suffix 'LHT23' which means the grease is good for up to 150°C
.....and I assume you have removed the circlip?

Old 09-10-2017, 03:53 PM   #12
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUNT View Post
This advice may be too late now ..........
Nope .. never too late.
My 750 is running on 25k old bearings and I intend to change them before it hits 30k.
I shall now be nipping by Machine Mart next time I'm out to pick up one of said pullers.
Ta.

Having looked at your pics, I might also consider making some kind of centralising button to go between the end of the spigot and the puller bolt.

ps.
I notice they do two sizes .. 30-50mm and 50-75mm.
Which one did you use ?
I'm guessing that the smaller one is big enough ?

Last edited by utopia; 09-10-2017 at 03:57 PM..
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:56 PM   #13
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
But there are two pullers in use there, aren't there?
A circular one and a three legged one.

I notice that the split circular one has two opposed threaded holes, which look like they could be used with a device much like a clutch cover puller to give a straighter pull. Does something like this come with the puller? Or is one left to one's own invention?
Old 09-10-2017, 05:46 PM   #14
garry

how much from the dealers ?

moto rapido quoted £75 for the whole assembly for my evo.
Old 09-10-2017, 06:03 PM   #15
BLUNT

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopia View Post
I notice they do two sizes .. 30-50mm and 50-75mm.
Which one did you use ?
I'm guessing that the smaller one is big enough ?
You guess right - the 30-50 Part No CHT226 @ £16.99 on a VAT free day.