UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Belly pan - good or bad?

Old 07-03-2004, 09:02 AM   #1
paul620sie

Belly pan - good or bad?

So, big question is ... Should i get a belly pan for my Monster? I think they look the Dogs whatsits but whats the downside? Let me know what you think.
Old 07-03-2004, 09:43 AM   #2
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Just getting mine adjusted to go on this bike - no downside - I take it off once a month for a good clean.
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 10:09 AM   #3
tony_unn

No down side, had mine almost all of the time I have owned the bike, looks better on than off (to me).

No fitment problems took about twenty minutes to fit and comes off in 5 for services etc.

I have the longer Imola type from Spareshack.

Last edited by tony_unn; 07-03-2004 at 10:11 AM..
Old 07-03-2004, 10:33 AM   #4
slug

I am putting one on to prevent the sump and starter motor being peppered with s**t and gravel. They also look good.
I should have done it sooner because the paint on the sump is begining to flake off, I assume this is because it gets peppered with road debris
Old 07-03-2004, 11:52 AM   #5
james007

do they ever scrape, especially when:

1. you drop off a pavement;
2. you go over a speed bump?

ahhh, the beauty of city riding.....
Old 07-03-2004, 12:02 PM   #6
Migsangel

I thought that my 620 dark got hotter (tempwise) in the summer, but it did not adversly affect its performance...

I still have the belly pan and my wife does not want to put on her Monster...so if you interested...let me know and maybe we can workout something...
Old 07-03-2004, 12:08 PM   #7
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Quote:
Originally posted by james007
do they ever scrape, especially when:

1. you drop off a pavement;
2. you go over a speed bump?

ahhh, the beauty of city riding.....
1. YES, sometimes.
2. No - hasnt happened to me yet.

Occasionally had it 'grounding' when hitting a bump in the road, when riding 2 up, but never when solo.

Go on - get one

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 12:18 PM   #8
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

I've got an Imola Bellypan from Spareshack:-

Never bumped a kerb but have grounded it round a roundabout. Also had to cut a slot in the underside to clear the exhaust but that may be just my bike as I've not seen anyone else do this.

They also keep the **** off the motor and look good. As Mummy Charlotte said, take it off once a month to get rid of the grot etc inside.

Ped
Old 07-03-2004, 12:38 PM   #9
paul620sie

Quote:
Originally posted by Migsangel
I thought that my 620 dark got hotter (tempwise) in the summer, but it did not adversly affect its performance...

I still have the belly pan and my wife does not want to put on her Monster...so if you interested...let me know and maybe we can workout something...
Have sent you a PM. Paul
Old 07-03-2004, 01:39 PM   #10
JONJAR

Mine has grounded on speed bumps, one time I really thought I was going to fall off! I got mine from Spareshack and it was a sod to fit, I gave up and took it to the local dealer in the end. But - the bike looks so much better with it on.
Old 07-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #11
steviej

...personally don't like 'em...........................................

Each to their own; as they say................................

Last edited by steviej; 07-03-2004 at 03:52 PM..
Old 07-03-2004, 04:23 PM   #12
McMONSTRO

Ive got the Imola one from Spareshack....never grounded out (yet) and was a doddle to fit, only thing that caused a problem was I overfilled the tank once and the drain goes into the bellypan, some fuel came out through the holes in it but a bit was still sloshing about! So a bit of cautious riding over the next few miles till it evaporated! My fault, not done it since!

McMonstro
Old 07-03-2004, 04:35 PM   #13
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
All my bike riding mates say it really finished the bike off. Mine is a monza stylee from spareshack, and although its gel coated (bad reputation for colour match & finish), the finish is superb and colour match cock on.

Downsides of ownership..people will dribble over your monnie even more than they would if it didnt have one !!!!!
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:37 PM   #14
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
I think they are a bit like silicon implants-the owners love 'em but I think it detracts from the purity of line. I mean just look at the example above me on the left-if she was modified it would ruin her lines and ground clearance, and a belly pan wouldn't do the bike any favours either. But then I'm sure they're might be people who find that there Jordan attractive-though I haven't met either of them yet.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2004, 04:43 PM   #15
Matt Black

The downside is the bit underneath.