UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Flaky engine paint

Old 06-03-2004, 12:23 PM   #1
Billy Bigwheels

Unhappy Flaky engine paint

Just noticed that I have big flakes of paint comming off the underside of my engine. Don't have salt corrosion on any ally parts which makes sense cus I'm pretty fanatical about a cold washdown after going on a road which could quite possibly still be a bit salty.
I've been searching for the old thread which covered this issue, but I guess it was one the unfortunates who perished in the clean-up.

Can anyone clarify what the dealer position was - does it have to go through the dealer you bought from? & which dealers are sympathetic or tough titty?
My bike is still under warranty, was supplied by DLS and I do obviously intend to take it back, but ideally not to them as they are miles from me.

I know that Terry also got a statement from Ducati UK but I can't find that either. What was the jist of it?

Just want to be armed before I start causing S_*t.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:34 PM   #2
fatbloke

I had a similar problem with my engine and the
heads were replaced under warrenty.
If you have any warrenty problems (after you have been to the dealer) contact Peter Brooking
at Ducati UK I'll get his email address and forward it on to you Carl.
Old 06-03-2004, 02:35 PM   #3
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
My bits with 'lifting chunks' on the 750ie also got fully replaced Carl.

C
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 02:53 PM   #4
Billy Bigwheels

Cheers guys - will post updates along the way.
Old 06-03-2004, 05:00 PM   #5
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

For what its worth, I know that Blufoots also got done - and Sazza & MartinS4 (he doesnt get on the forum often), are also in contact with dealers on this issue.......there are others too....

C

ps - anything else gone 'boobs up' BBW??? My clocks have already gone for a burton (so steamed up I cant see them!), so will be done at 1st service..........seat catch not staying shut (caused a 'nasty moment' for me today).... piddling things really.... just need to be 'sorted'
Old 06-03-2004, 06:46 PM   #6
Billy Bigwheels

My clocks also get a bit steamy, worthy of warranty I reckon but not too bad. Aprt from that nothing else at all. Still very very happy.
Old 07-03-2004, 02:00 PM   #7
kevin5952

flaky engine paint.

i,ve notied that the paint on my engine is starting to flake.Not too bad at the moment,bike is 1998 so no warranty with it.Is there anything anyone can recommend to stop it continuing or any tricks to try and get it back to what it was without forking out ££££,s...regards
Old 07-03-2004, 04:53 PM   #8
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
My '97 bike was appalling when I got it. Brushed off all the dead stuff and cleaned it/degreased the best I could, masked the bike THOROUGHLY, and then dusted it over with a car spray paint. The secret is to get a thin layer of paint so it doesnt look cack.

Also removed cam & belt covers and wet and dried them down, spraying them gunmetal, and finshed off with new stainless bolts all round (Ill have even more when Billy pulls his finger out and sends me his spares!!!!!:lol: ).

Now this sounds like a bodge, and I have to admit when my mate suggested it I cringed, but you wouldnt believe the difference..looks great IMO/ See attched piccie with the front cyliner finished, before I painted the belt/cam covers.

Hope this helps..

Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2004, 03:05 PM   #9
Billy Bigwheels

Angry

Round 1

Pegasus Reading are not prepared to take up my case and suggest that I go back to where I bought the bike from which was Ducati London South. Unfortunately this is bloody miles from me but ho hum.

Having bought 1 bike from Pegasus i'm not sure if I ever will again.

Now waiting for the relevant person from DLS to call back so that I can
arrange to call in the same day that the Ducati Regional Rep is there.
Old 08-03-2004, 03:14 PM   #10
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

What about 'on your Bike' Carl - wont they be nearer - and Terry has connections there too.
Old 08-03-2004, 05:13 PM   #11
NattyBoy

best of luck pal..dont let 'em stress yer !!!!!

Nat
Old 08-03-2004, 05:46 PM   #12
Billy Bigwheels

Yea, guess I could give on yer bike a ring to sound them out.

Too late with the stress though nattyboy - done 140 miles today to try and blow out the cobwebs but it still doesn't make me feel better. Will update round 2 as & when.
Old 08-03-2004, 07:23 PM   #13
SazzaG

Carl, could you let me know when the rep's coming to DLS? I've got the same problem on my bike, and like you, it's a bit of a trek there, so it would be great to get the bike there on the right day!

I spoke to them a few weeks ago, and all they were going to do was take photos and send them to Ducati...

Ta

Saz
Old 23-03-2004, 01:29 PM   #14
johnypebs

This is like athlete's foot, I've now got flaky paint syndrome aswell. The paint on the crankcases has just come off in sheets, with the crankcases left with a white furry residue and looking truly ****e. It's not just underneath, lots came away from around the neutral switch too. I just spent the morning taking the calipers and pads off to clean and grease everything and got a bit carried away with cleaning up the rest of the bike when the extent of the paint problem revealed itself. I have to leave my bike under a tarpaulin for a fortnight at a time whilst I'm at work so I admit some complicity in this and can accept things like cadmium plated bolts looking cack, but the paint is not right. How much is my six month old bike worth as a trade in looking like the engine has been pulled out of a canal?
By the way, the centre stand I put on last week is rusty already, can they paint anything properly?
Old 23-03-2004, 01:40 PM   #15
NattyBoy

Seems like they still, even after all these years, only make the bikes for a mediterranean climate !! I feel p***d off when I strip and clean my 888 and the paint comes off in sheets underneath, but youd half expect that with a 10 year old duke. Plus the fairing hides most of the cackness underneath on mine !

I did hear of a guy who had the problem with a 998S..£13ks worth!....not good.

Im sure youll get the desired result, but I have to say that your unlikely to get a dealer being pro-active..I would tap terry up for some contacts @ DUK.

Best of british...!
Cheers
nat