UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » Help and Site FAQ's » Help ! e bay

Old 04-03-2004, 08:18 AM   #1
netstar

Help ! e bay

Ahhhh !! I put my bike on e bay and I have had quite a few emails to deal with. Can someone give me advice as to what to do if someone wants to come and see my bike.... does one just trust that they are ok? I will take their wallet and id if they want to take it out, other than that is there anything else I can do? Thanks... Jeanette x
Old 04-03-2004, 09:00 AM   #2
Bunny

Don't trust anyone !!
As you say, don't let them ride it unless you've got the money in your hand.
If they want to ride it, are they insured ? make sure they agree that "they drop it - they buy it"
Don't show them where you keep it if possible.
There are genuine buyers out there, but there are also thieves, and insurance companies will not pay out if you give them your keys and they ride off on your bike
Old 04-03-2004, 09:18 AM   #3
superlight3

Good advice Bunny.

Only ever let your bike out for a test ride if you've got the full asking price in cash in your hand..

That way if it all 'turns turtle' at least you've got the money.

Also, if there's no other way than to let the punter come round to where you store the bike, make sure that it's seen that you have extensive security to protect it. If necessary borrow the local private security companys rabid Pitbull and chain it to the handlebars!

Cheers.

Lee.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:40 AM   #4
gwyndaff

Netstar,

If possible take a photograph of them with a digital camera (or polaroid)
A genuine buyer would have no objection - and a thief would probably say no. (even if he/she doesn't you have a photo to show plod)

You could also ask anyone who wants a test ride to get a cover note from their insurers. (fully comp)
When they arrive, phone the insurance company (don't use the telephone number on the cover note - find the number yourself) and check its all above board.

good luck
Gwyndaff
Old 04-03-2004, 10:38 AM   #5
Drucilla

Excellent advice from all, also suggest you have another person there with you when they come to view the bike for your safety.
Old 04-03-2004, 01:45 PM   #6
JJCool

Mate, Ive bought bikes of ebay, in deed my last bike was a Honda NTV (so i dont have to use the duke in winter) and it normally goes like this, Dont let them meet you at your house unless they have won the auction, if they wana ride it meet them somewhere with a good freind, Make sure they have the cash in there hand, (the reserve price or the price you would take if sold privatly) and once you have that let them lose, People need to ride a bike to see if they like it, but in the same instance, you need to be covered, so make sure they dont have your address and make sure they have the funds to cover the cost of yer bike.... BE CAREFUL, LOTS OF **** HEADS ON EBAY AS WELL AS GOOD HONEST EBAYERS....
Old 04-03-2004, 03:07 PM   #7
grunter
Administrator

Bike: Other Ducati
you could

nail one of there feet to the floor so they cant go to far?
just a thought
Old 04-03-2004, 03:30 PM   #8
netstar

You little beauties! ... top advice thanks so much. Tiz all new to me and abit worrying, has put my mind at rest. Jxxxxx
Old 04-03-2004, 03:50 PM   #9
kevb

just to reinforce whats already been said: ducati manchester let someone take out a 998 renegade rep with lots of special parts for a test ride, asked for licence, insurance, etc. The bloke took it out never to be seen again. MAKE SURE EVERYTHING IS GEN!!
Old 04-03-2004, 06:58 PM   #10
Matt Black

I would ask them to surrender their licence as proof of ID and if the deal is done only let them ride it away when funds have cleared.

If they want the bike they shouldn't really need to ride it if you can demonstrate its all in working order. Money talks bull**** walks.
Old 07-03-2004, 10:39 AM   #11
netstar

yes Matt I completely agree.. Have had alot of interest and one guy is in Sheffield so that'll be good and handy ... have reserve on it tho so not sure wot'll happen yet! x