UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Fuel Light

Old 16-02-2004, 11:37 PM   #1
BoozyBOB

Fuel Light

has anyone had a prob with thier low fuel warning light ..

as i was going to our meet at the weekend my fuel light came on...strange i thought...it stayed on for 6 miles till i stoped to fill up...the tank took £2.36 worth...then the light went out....mmm small tank..
Old 17-02-2004, 07:40 AM   #2
NewMon
Titanium Member

Bike: M600
I've had the opposite - it never has come on! Difficult to test properly, but the bike was coughing and spluttering and no light. I've checked the connection under the tank and it looks ok.

I get the impression that this part is not very reliable. Apparently, there is a jap part which fits instead. Anyone remember?

Pete
NewMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 08:10 AM   #3
grunter
Administrator

Bike: Other Ducati
fuel light

I have cannot remember if it was dodgy sender or it was earthing out the cable on frame?
grunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 08:33 AM   #4
Melnie Mouse

Hi Bob, good see you Sunday.. your fuel light... I'd get it seen too obviously not right, sounds dodgy wire... but I never rely on light, i just re-set the 'trip' when gets to 120 miles I fill up anyway... then you never need to rely on light...
Old 17-02-2004, 09:26 AM   #5
JR

I have the same problem. Duncan checked it over for me and confirmed the unit was defective - a quick call to the Ducati dealer for a price - I think it was about 55 quid. Back to the tried and trusted method like Melnie - fill up at 120 or so miles. No doubt some ancient Fiat or Moto Guzzi uses the same part costing a couple of quid but it is a question of finding the information.
I am still searching!

JR

JR

JR
Old 17-02-2004, 07:02 PM   #6
BoozyBOB

thanks for the replies...looks like the Mel way
cheers
Old 17-02-2004, 08:03 PM   #7
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
I had to replace mine last summer (god, it seems so long ago-hot days, no rain....) the part costs about £50 and you have to totally drain all petrol out to fit it. But it is simple once that is done. It's nearly always the sender. You can test if it's the bulb by taking the connecter from the sender and bridging it with a wire. It should come on with the ignition on if memory serves.
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2004, 08:23 PM   #8
SazzaG

Mine's been stuck on for the last 2 months, ever since I managed to get 165 miles out of the tank (and then ran out!) Keep meaning to get it fixed on the warranty (yet another thing...), but like Mel, I usually fill up around 120 miles or so.