UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Cans, Tyres, Brakes, etc. » Loose seat

Old 19-01-2004, 11:22 AM   #1
invigiator

Unhappy Loose seat

There is no section for this. Most of my technical questions don't seem to fit a category ...

I've got a loose seat. It can slide front to back a bit. I suppose it's not exactly dangerous, but it is disconcerting. The problem seems to go away when the under-seat compartment is jammed full, but if it's empty then the seat can slide back and forward about 1cm or so.

Anybody else have this before?
Any suggested cure?

Julian
Old 19-01-2004, 06:44 PM   #2
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Bike: M900
2 Immodium with water. Cures most loose seats. And eat less sashimi....
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2004, 10:31 PM   #3
crust
rattles when he walks

hi

at the back of the seat, underneath, in the middle is a pin, this should locate in a hole in the mudguard/bracket

either this is loose or has snapped

mind you if packing the toolbox cures it then stick some extra tools in there.

mines got a small set of allen keys, mole grips, some wire and a couple of spanners.

wrap them in a rag or the rattling will make you think something is falling off

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2004, 01:04 AM   #4
invigiator

Thanks for the tips, I'll look for that (missing?) pin. I know there is one that I use with a cable for a helmet lock, but I'm assuming there's another. I do pack the seat box with waterproof trousers and a cargo net, but if it's raining and I am using the net ... it's slidey time.

Immodium ... ??????
Oh! I get it. Sorry 'bit slow today.

Last edited by invigiator; 20-01-2004 at 01:06 AM..
Old 20-01-2004, 06:23 PM   #5
COR

How the hell do you get stuff under your seat - there's no room for anything under mine! Not being silly but are you fitting it on properly, took me a couple of wobbly seat moments before I realised how it fitted securely at the tank end - sorry but the salesman never showed me!
Old 20-01-2004, 08:46 PM   #6
pete

Julian,
when you say loose, I'm not sure exactly how loose you mean,
but you might find that the round pin with the notch in it
hasn't "clicked in" to the retaining latch in the hole that crust
mentioned. On mine it takes some considerable downward
force on the seat before it is sufficiently held. And from what I
can see there isn't any adjustment, and my dealer says it is
normal. As is seemingly every little quirk on a Ducati :-)

Pete
Old 20-01-2004, 09:22 PM   #7
Desmodue

Question Loose Seat

Hi Julian

I've had this problem !

The round pin located to underside of seat is a tad adjustable

However, the problem is with the crap design of the latch-mechanism, the one that turns when you turn your key to remove the seat

Not only did I clean & grease the latch/lock, the cable, but I replaced the spring with a slightly stronger one

This has made turning the key a bit harder, but it has cured the problem, no more loose seat, the pin & latch now engage more solidly
Old 20-01-2004, 09:48 PM   #8
crust
rattles when he walks

Re: Loose Seat

Quote:
Originally posted by The Chef
Hi Julian

I've had this problem !

The round pin located to underside of seat is a tad adjustable

However, the problem is with the crap design of the latch-mechanism, the one that turns when you turn your key to remove the seat

Not only did I clean & grease the latch/lock, the cable, but I replaced the spring with a slightly stronger one

This has made turning the key a bit harder, but it has cured the problem, no more loose seat, the pin & latch now engage more solidly
Think your problem is you maybe a chef but you obviously need to brush up on your pie skills

eating them that is

I never have a problem latching my seat, one park of the bum and its latched

Crust
crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2004, 09:57 AM   #9
invigiator

Well I'll need to check it out again ...
It does slip down to a resounding 'click' though, and won't open (at either end COR) so I doubt it's the problem.
The hole in the seat where the pin locates (helmet lock pin) is bloody oval shaped, as if it's designed to allow for lateral play. Nuts.

As for fitting lots of stuff in, if I pack it carefully and vigourously, I can fit a disc lock with warning cable, the 'toolkit' with an extra alan key, a cheap (thin) cargo net, and some really cheap (really thin) waterproof overtrousers.
THEN the seat requires a little pressure to close and there's no sliding around.

Anyway, sadly I've got more pressing issues now with leaking forks, so this'll have to wait.
Old 22-01-2004, 08:28 PM   #10
spacemonkey
I see dead people.

Location: Carving a slice thru the braindead masses..(pun intended)
Ouch! Leaky forks can be pricey. If the chrome is scored you will need to get them replaced. Mine is scored enough to catch your fingernail. The bottom of the leg comes with the chrome and costs £256!!! My option was to send the leg off to be stripped, rechromed, ground back to size, re assembled with new innerand outer seals, and sent back all in for £145. However, if the chrome is fine (check carefully) then it was £80 just to strip, reseal and reassemble. I was playing with the idea of putting chemical metal in the groove and smoothing it down, but went with doing it properly in the end...
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote