UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Weird noise when hot 1100 evo

Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 PM   #1
Dandanfings

Weird noise when hot 1100 evo

When my bike gets to 4 bars it begins to make this odd ginding sort of noise at idle.
It did this the day i bought it and i had my dealer recover the bike and they readjusted the belts as they said they were a bit tight.

But i still have this noise, people on the yank forums think its a buggered bearing on the cam and that my engine is a lemon

Dont really have the time to be taking it back and forth from the dealer.
I will have to refit my stock exhaust and reconnect the o2 sensors which is a pain also,

So any ideas?
Old 07-10-2013, 12:42 AM   #2
Qba

The same here. I mentioned it to dealer twice. They supposedly checked it and didn't find anything. It improved after first service, but after a while problem came back. Someone else here had the same problem - not sure if it had been sorted though.
Old 07-10-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
Cobra88

Cant see video or hear sound as I don't have a photobucket account.
Old 07-10-2013, 09:28 AM   #4
Darren69
Transmaniacon MOC

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Have you tried with the belt covers off and checked it's not rubbing anywhere? I'd have thought if it were a bearing problem it would be apparent whenever the engine was running.
Darren69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 09:44 AM   #5
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra88 View Post
Cant see video or hear sound as I don't have a photobucket account.
LOL It's hard to hear a grinding over the rest of the engine and exhaust noise.

Make sure you've got this in writing somewhere so when they check for this noise and then say it's nothing there is a record. If you get a problem with this later then it's an existing fault dating from the time it started (or when you have a first record with some provenance) and they will be obliged to sort it even if it's after the end of the warranty period.
Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 PM   #6
Flip

Bike: M900
Sounds a bit daft but you could try sticking a screwdriver in various places around the engine and putting your ear to the handle. You might get an idea on the different sounds and possibly the area where the noise is coming from.

If it's a bearing rumbling you really don't want it to break up in there coz it will make a horrible mess, likewise if, as Darren said it's a belt rubbing it could break without warning with horrible consequences- although I would have thought that would make the noise from start up.

I am guessing it is making the noise all the time but you can't hear it when riding or are you 100% certain it is only at idle?

In the meantime try and get some kind of proof that the dealer has looked and confirmed it is firstly safe to ride, not doing further damage and if it all goes horribly wrong they will sort it and not make excuses.

Personally, I would print out a little sheet with tick boxes for them to sign against each time you pick the bike up- if they won't sign then that might tell you something?
Old 08-10-2013, 06:10 PM   #7
Dandanfings

Ducati themselves and the dealer are both aware of the problem.
if anything were to happen i have emails and also a little invoice from the dealer stating belts readjusted due to noise.

So if it goes bang its on Ducati not me!.

At least i know somebody else had the same noise.
Old 14-05-2014, 10:41 PM   #8
wezrvf

Hi guys,

I MAY have developed this problem too. Did you get any further with Ducati? Do you still have the noise?

Any help would be good.

Cheers
Old 15-05-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
wezrvf

Seems like a bearing whine/ rub
Old 15-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #10
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Hard to hear on a video but sounds OK to me, my 916 makes much more mechanical noise but I wear earplugs otherwise I'd think it was ready to explode...

Dukedesmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #11
wezrvf

well after speaking with Ducati it seems something could be amiss whoever they are happy for me to make the 20 mile trip on it for them to check out and don't seem to think anything is going to go bang !!

I am running it up in the morning and will let you know what the update is.
Old 16-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #12
alan s4

Bike: S4 challenge
I think that's called "character" - my S4 has loads - just ride and enjoy
alan s4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2014, 08:34 PM   #13
wezrvf

It is defo an additional noise to the usual character that is only recent and doesn't sound like the normal chugging of a big twin.
Old 16-05-2014, 10:44 PM   #14
Dandanfings

yep im still having this problem, though now it only happens at 5 bars, when its really hot in traffic.
sounds like a rubbing noise.
Old 16-05-2014, 11:06 PM   #15
wezrvf

You have had it for a while then. I will let you know Ducati say tomorrow, if anything !!!