UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Tracker means my insurance goes up!?

Old 01-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Martin696

Tracker means my insurance goes up!?

I've been looking at getting a Road Angel bike-trac system for my little monster... just called my insurance company and they're telling me if I do, my premium goes UP. WTactualF!?

Their reasoning is that someone could nick the tracker!? We're talking £2 over a year, but still, really!? If the bike was nicked, surely that would increase the chance of it being recovered substantially, and therefore greatly reduce the chance of them having to pay out for a new bike?
Old 01-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
If you were dealing with rational and logical people... yes

Unfortunately insurance companies are run by useless twats
Old 01-08-2013, 03:14 PM   #3
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I think they work on the basis that once nicked your bike is stripped so quickly the chance of recovery is fairly low, and getting anyone to bother to try and find it is also very difficult, so all you've done is spend more money and you still have no bike.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #4
bex

Speak to Ducati Insurance when you're renewing. They actually have brain cells.

Tracker got my insurance significantly reduced.

BikeTrac supposedly have a very good recovery rate.

Last edited by bex; 01-08-2013 at 03:29 PM..
Old 01-08-2013, 03:38 PM   #5
Martin696

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
If you were dealing with rational and logical people... yes

Unfortunately insurance companies are run by useless twats
Don't sit on the fence like that Gary, tell what you really think!!
Old 01-08-2013, 09:47 PM   #6
DaffyDuc

Bike: M800ie
About three years ago I was renewing my multibike insurance and had to go look at what security was on the bike (make etc), took time but I guess once you know it's easier the next time. I then decided to see how much for it was if I had no security on any of the three. That's no immobiliser, alarm, padlocks, disc locks nothing. It put it up £10 - £15. I now don't declare any security, pay marginally more and know I will not have the arguement about whether it was being used when some scrot made off with it. Incidentally I do use the security.
DaffyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:52 PM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
I was quoted a 5% discount (£20) for a professionaly fitted alarm that would have cost £400

muppets

Old 02-08-2013, 07:59 AM   #8
boris
More Tools!

Bike: Multiple Monsters
When renewing the insurance on the good-ladys bike this year, again under the 'no argument' auspice, i un-declared the previously specified security measures. Outcome, no increase in the renewal premium quoted
Old 02-08-2013, 06:02 PM   #9
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
I have trouble (and a lot of fun) convincing them that having about 80 kilos of fang infested dogs (one big one and one little one) roaming around makes any difference to the security of my bikes.

Security systems... if they want it they'll have it no matter what you've done to make it safe.
Old 03-08-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Geoff Ives

It seems odd that one insurer charges more for a security system whilst another (Carole Nash) supplies their DNA system free.
Old 03-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
bluestoesonnose

Got a garage like Fort Knox as the previous owner of the house restored Lotus Élan's and usually had three knocking about. Camera's, secure door, deadlocks and alarm that almost requires a PhD to program. All this and both bikes with alarms, chains, ground anchors etc has no effect on the insurance as we live in a "safe" area!!!! WTF...
Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM   #12
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
I don't declare any security, despite having multiple Almax chains and locks as well as other bits and pieces. I was told i would not be covered for theft if the security is not on the bike when it's stolen. I.e. I'd have the take the stupidly heavy chains and locks everywhere I go! How many people do you see going for a ride out, stopping off for a pint, and chaining everything up!?
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #13
DaffyDuc

Bike: M800ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by steeevvvooo View Post
I don't declare any security, despite having multiple Almax chains and locks as well as other bits and pieces. I was told i would not be covered for theft if the security is not on the bike when it's stolen. I.e. I'd have the take the stupidly heavy chains and locks everywhere I go! How many people do you see going for a ride out, stopping off for a pint, and chaining everything up!?
Exactly why I don't declare it, use same principal on house insurance, one of my husbands colleagues is having a tussle with the insurance company because his window locks were not in use and he has a discount for this. They entered the house through a door!
DaffyDuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2013, 09:59 AM   #14
turbohobbit

I'm starting to think that I shouldn't have mentioned my Abus City-X lock when I insured my bike. When the renewal comes up (next year now) I think I may undeclare it and see what the net result is. Last thing you need is to have a knock-down/drag-out with the insurer when your pride and joy is pilfered by some TWOKer / gang 'n' a van.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:46 AM   #15
Dukedesmo

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaffyDuc View Post
Exactly why I don't declare it, use same principal on house insurance, one of my husbands colleagues is having a tussle with the insurance company because his window locks were not in use and he has a discount for this. They entered the house through a door!
Some years ago my TV aerial was struck by lightning which caused alot of damage to TVs and other electrical stuff.

The insurance company sent an assessor to check that I had the declared mortice locks on the doors and locks on the windows, presumably they wouldn't have paid if my locks were not right.

They didn't ask to see any of the damaged electrical equipment...

Dukedesmo is online now   Reply With Quote