UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Dyeing the old scruffy grey belt covers

Old 11-03-2013, 08:37 PM   #1
lookleft

Post Dyeing the old scruffy grey belt covers

Last summer I finally got my Monster 600 2002mod, unfortunately the engine looked like crap (still do) and so did the belt covers. Going to paint the engine later this season, but decided to take small steps and start off with the belt covers. Was debating to paint them but found this “how to” online a few years ago, but can’t find the link anymore but had the text copied into a word doc. This guy had dyed his covers using RIT dye. This colour is permanent and give a nice satin black finish, and the colour penetrate deep enough that scratches are still black. The process is simple and straightforward, and can hardly go wrong.
So I gave it a go and result was great!!!! Just need to paint the rest of the engine now. Hope these instructions can be useful for someone as well.

1.Thoroughly scrub your covers with degreaser. Rinse them with soap and warm water. If you don't get all the grease out, it'll leave a stain, dark bluish stains. Degrease it more if you're not sure.

2.Take large waterproof tray, old cooler, or something that you can cover your parts in

3.Boil a few pots of water. Get them up to boil and keep pouring them into the container. If you have to wait to boil more water, just keep a lid on the bucket. The hotter, the better the colour penetration.

4.The instructions said you'll need 4 bottles of liquid Rit Dye, total 25£ (3 black / 1 dark green) NOTE: Don't buy the powder dye. This quantity is what you need for a 5 gallon mix. (This is quite a bit and now after I did this, you can probably half the amount of dye and water. But then the mix might cool down to fast...? Anyways I followed the instructions as it did work for this bloke. And any remains you can use to colour your old black t-shirts )

5.Shake up the dyes and pour them in. Stir for a min.

6.I did dip them into the mix and placed them gently on the bottom of the tray, top up. Alternatively you can hang your covers with wire, hanger, phone line, no clamps. Dip them into the dye. Lift them up and down to ensure there are no bubbles.

7.Put the lid on and wrap the bucket with tin foil and a old winter coat, thick blanket or duvet. Whatever that will keep the colour mix hot.

8.I let it sit overnight 12 hrs. When its time, open the lid, the water will be very warm to pretty hot.

9.You'll pull them out and see a tint of purple. If sections of the parts are blue, heat the water again, if cold and let them dye for some more time. Again the hotter the water the quicker it will dye. Rinse them out in warm water and rub them down real good with a rag and WD40. And you will get a nice dark flat black and new looking belt covers.

Last edited by lookleft; 13-03-2013 at 04:58 PM.. Reason: typo..
Old 11-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
lookleft

BTW if anyone is planning to do some colouring this weekend I still got my 5 gallon of colour mix only in need of reheating. Send me a PM and bring a sealed bucket .
Old 11-03-2013, 09:03 PM   #3
Petej

SUPERB!!

Thanks for this I was going to go and buy paint tomorrow, but think this sounds a better idea! Have you any pictures??

Pete
Old 11-03-2013, 09:21 PM   #4
lookleft

Hi Pete,

Here you go, a few pics. Not the best quality but give a fair impression. Will get more pics up when mounted on the bike and weather is better.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/93986785@N06/

Last edited by lookleft; 11-03-2013 at 09:38 PM.. Reason: new better info :)
Old 15-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
Petej

Cheers mate, they look really good. Great finish!
Old 16-03-2013, 05:45 AM   #6
AmoK

It looks really nice and even color.
But has anyone done this in "reverse". I mean, I got covers that are little darker than the originals, and I would like to maintain the look. So is it possible to bring back the old color with this method and how would you match the color? My original covers are quite light gray...
Old 16-03-2013, 11:47 AM   #7
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The dyed covers look really good
Old 16-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #8
lookleft

Petej, Glad it turned out nicely for you. With this method minor scratches wont show either so should be pretty durable. And the colour is nice and even. My only problem now is that the covers look so good that my engine look even scruffyer. Need to get that thing paintet soon.

AmoK, I am not sure how to go back to the original colour, as I guess the if the covers are dark and patchy its due to dirt and muck etc. Dying them black is pretty straightforward as it covers up any patching. As you can see form my pics.

Perhaps someone else has a idea how to refresh the original light grey colour?
Old 16-03-2013, 06:30 PM   #9
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
The dyed covers look great.
What a cracking idea.
Thanks for posting.
My covers are fine so far, but I'll certainly be filing this one in the memory banks.

In a similar vein, I'm wondering if there's a laundry stain remover (vanish ?) which could be used to refresh the paler coloured covers.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #10
Nottsbiker

The original link is from either US or Australian Monster forum
Old 17-03-2013, 09:59 PM   #11
lookleft

You are right, the how to is from another site, but as I mentioned what site I dont know as I only had the "how to " copied into a word doc. But as it was a great idea with a smashing result it had to be shared.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:43 AM   #12
Geoff Ives

There is another way if you like a bit of 'Bling' and don't have keep the bike standard.
Use 'Carbon Fibre wrap'. This is a self adheisive cladding that is bubble free and easy to use. It requires no skill, no special tools other tha a hair dryer and looks just like carbon fibre.
Old 18-03-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
lookleft

Not a bad idea, and its a wallet friendly mod that might get approval by the wifey as well