UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Carb icing

Old 12-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #1
graeme s

Carb icing

More newbie questions... When its cold, my Monster 600 stalls at idle after a fast run (its okay 'round town) unless I rev it up. Is this due to carb icing? (I used to get this on an old Beetle I had). I've printed the 2000 owners manual off the Ducati website and there's mention of a carb heater - would this be on a '95 bike? (Suplimentary question - if the downloaded manual is not much relevance to my bike, is there anywhere I can get an owners manual?).
Old 12-12-2003, 06:29 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Maybe this will get into FAQ one day?

Graeme s,
If your 95 bike is without the carburettor heater kit (fitted as factory mod) then icing will be a big problem. Even with oil heaters installed it will still run like a pig in the winter, but Silkolene FST Pro fuel additive can help to delay the onset of freezing. Injected bikes seem to be immune to icing, but all carbed monsters (especially eary models) suffer from it.

Earlier threads on the subject...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ighlight=icing

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...t=cold+weather

Or leave the bike until the weather warms up? ... er that would be about March then
Old 22-12-2003, 02:21 PM   #3
johnypebs

carb' icing

Harley shops sell stuff called 'idle boost' which worked very well in the winter on my M2 Cyclone, I wished I'd known about it when I had an M900.
Old 22-12-2003, 02:30 PM   #4
A Yerbury

warmer plugs seemed 2 help mine as well as the fst. 8's as opposed to 9's. technically the plugs arent helping the icing but...well Im sure a more technical person could explain. Anyway she runs better.
Alex
Old 22-12-2003, 03:55 PM   #5
graeme s

Beetles got around it by a little electric blanket around the inlet manifold - might work on a Duke? I guess the front cylinder is the problematic one...?
Old 22-12-2003, 04:47 PM   #6
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
graeme s,
I'm guessing both carbs will be equally effected, if you look at where they are positioned up behind the headstock you will see they are very exposed to the incoming cold air. If one of the carbs was mounted behind the rear pot (as on Pantah motors) then I dare say the rear cylinder would run ice free. :burnout:
Old 22-12-2003, 11:01 PM   #7
DavidT

I tried making up an "electric blanket" to fit round the manifold and carbs from a set of heated grips - no difference!
Old 24-12-2003, 08:48 AM   #8
johnypebs

My old m900 had the oil supply diverted to heat the float bowls which helped a wee bit, only after about ten miles though. As soon as I went out the drive I had a half dozen roundabouts to deal with on a bike that ran like a dog, which to keep from stalling you had to throttle blip like a boy racer. I read an article in one of the comics that explained the problem in detail, from what I understood it's because of the volatility of the petrol we get now. The easiest way to beat this one is to modify the fuel. Adding 'idle boost' to my M2 was like night & day the difference it made. Put on some denim and pay your local Harley shop a visit.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:50 PM   #9
graeme s

Haven't got any "Idle Boost" yet (my chaps are in the wash, so I can't go to the Harley shop...). But I have got some octane booster in the garage - is it pretty much the same stuff?
Old 12-01-2004, 05:09 PM   #10
Dave in USA

What you need is Silkolene FST Pro.

Availiable (usually) from all H*nda dealers or good bike stores
Old 13-01-2004, 08:45 AM   #11
nik_the_brief

I have tried octane booster - STP make one but it's not a perfect solution.

I've recently found that using the higher octane petrol from the petrol station - Shell Optimate or something similar - seems to dramatically reduce the problem.
Old 13-01-2004, 08:53 AM   #12
graeme s

I'm already using Optimax
Old 13-01-2004, 12:05 PM   #13
nik_the_brief

You could always move to somewhere warmer
Old 14-01-2004, 07:09 PM   #14
slowerthanmymum

Thumbs up

If its any help, my M600 suffered badly from icing, refusing to run at anything below 10 deg C.
I now run it on Optimax and Silkolene but the biggest change was after I bought some gauges off E-bay and balanced my carbs.
I ran it today in rain/snow at 3 Deg C and no problems at all.
Old 14-01-2004, 07:32 PM   #15
hog

I can vouch for the Silkolene Pro FST as well. She ran like a stuck pig before in the cold - adding 200ml to each tank of petrol sorted the problem out.