UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Fuels & Oils » oil change

Old 08-05-2012, 06:36 PM   #1
jamiedan2009

oil change

i've been changing my engine oil & filter every 3000 miles, how often do you chaps with similar bikes change yours?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:38 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Pretty much the same give or take a few hundred miles
Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 AM   #3
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Likewise with Shell Advance Ultra 4 15w-50.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #4
Saint aka ML
Junior ah to be young

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Yyyyy 6-7k or every year.

"I am Lucazade"
Saint aka ML is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
jamiedan2009

thanks for the replys, the oil always looks fairly clean so wasnt sure if i was wasting my money with such a short interval
Old 09-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #6
Headhunter
THFC

Bike: M620ie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint aka ML View Post
Yyyyy 6-7k or every year.
For me it's because I ride in extremely warm temperatures, so like to change it as regularly as possible - obviously without taking the p*ss.

Appreciate oil is designed to work in harsh environments (engine / outside temperature etc) but TBH, I don't mind spending 40/50 every quarter.

Sir Winston Churchill
Headhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 05:48 PM   #7
Nickj
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: S2r
Oil at 3 and filter at 6K, these are 'hot' miles so the oil lasts quite well. The oil is bog forecourt 10:40, the engines done about 42K since I got it and is quite happy on it so no plans to buy ultra specced stuff that meets pretty much the same standards.
Old 07-07-2012, 06:55 PM   #8
Dookbob

Every 3000 miles on semi synthetic, every 1000 miles on mineral, or once a year if I,m not using it much. The oil change interval on my Peugeot is every 20,000 miles, on what they call long life oil, can you imagine what the oil would be like after that kinda mileage. I change that every 5000.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:01 PM   #9
urbanfireblade

Dookbob, my Golf GT TDI was on that long life oil service and was almost solely the cause of wrecking my variable vane turbo about 6 weeks ago, VW Independant says it was a gimic for the reps who do mega milage years ago, thats where you get benefit as the oil works as it was designed to under those conditions, normal driving doesn't allow the oil to work as it should and so it gets contaminated easily and then cloggs up the oil lines etc in the turbo. Cost me £600. Its now on a yearly/10k service interval.
Old 07-07-2012, 08:03 PM   #10
urbanfireblade

I'd change mine probably 3-4k, same with the oil filter. £25 for oil and £11 for the filter isn't gonna break the bank and its nice to know there's fresh oil flowing round your engine. I know oil can go much longer but where's the harm in changing early?