UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Events :. » Events » Trackdays » Trackday Preparation

Old 02-05-2011, 04:29 PM   #1
randall356

Trackday Preparation

Hey guy,

I have signed up for the UKMOC track day at Mallory Park and, to be honest, I don't really know what I have let myself in for. I didn't want to add this to the ongoing thread in case it went off on one!

Can someone advise me if I need to prep my bike in anyway prior to turning up? My 2 year belt change is due in June - should I do this before or after the track day?

Do I need to take anything particular with me such as extra fuel etc?

Anything else I need to bear in mind?

Cheers guys,

Stu
Old 02-05-2011, 04:52 PM   #2
Mr Cake

Extra fuel is a good idea. Leave the bike alone because you know where you're up to with it as it is; tweak it a bit on the day if needs be. Pack a foot-pump and a few basic tools if you can. Best thing to do is not to think too much about it. If you're going to be worrying about mechanicals, get them done. It'll only take up headspace that should be used for riding. Keep your head in good nick and keep yourself hydrated so fetch plenty of water.

We'll be there so if there's owt you need just nip over and we'll do our best to steer the job right.

C

Last edited by Mr Cake; 02-05-2011 at 05:02 PM..
Old 02-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
Tape up the headlight. I remove my mirrors. Pay particular attention to tire pressures, a bit lower for the track.
Take an extra gallon of fuel, not sure if the circuits pumps will be open.
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:03 PM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I second what Cake said.
There's too much worrying before a trackday, for then every novice to find it an easy day, well within their capabilities. I as always will be riding to the track on my bike, I'll park it, let a bit of air out of the tyres, sign on, then go on the track. You can tape bits up if you like, but it's not needed.

I like using my mirrors on track and others don't, I don't cover my number plate, I don't cover my speedo.

Extra petrol is a help as it's always expensive on-sight, and I'm not sure if there'll be any on site actually, and it will save you riding to find some, but it's not a problem. Remember, you'll have 40 minutes of downtime between your track time.

You can always bring snacks, lunch, cake for yourself to save you a few bob.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 05:51 PM   #5
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Get belts done if you get time or otherwise check and adjust tension. Give the bike a once over beforehand and on the trackday too. Look for tyre damage, pressures, chain adjust and lube, oil and hydraulic fluid levels. You may be able to run slightly stiffer damping/preload settings for track use. Take plenty of water and snacks to keep your sugar levels up.
Old 02-05-2011, 06:20 PM   #6
Capo
You Are What You Is

Bike: S4r
If you are not riding to the venue, remember to take your key!!!
Capo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:30 PM   #7
Mr Cake

Sounds like the voice of experience!

C
Old 02-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capo View Post
If you are not riding to the venue, remember to take your key!!!
Yeah - coz let's face it you'd have to be a complete cabbage to forget your key when you've trailered your track bike all the way to silverstone... !!

Good advice from the experienced boys. don't underestimate the hydration bit..but most of all don't worry about it. This is the VERY best opportunity you will get to attend a friendly and relaxed track day with a bunch of like minded enthusiasts.

Have the opened the doors for the naughty corner yet BTW ?!!!!
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #9
Mr Cake

I wouldn't have thought so yet, Nat. Not until after the Weekender at least.

C
Old 03-05-2011, 10:20 AM   #10
steeevvvooo

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins View Post
Give the bike a once over beforehand and on the trackday too. Look for tyre damage, pressures, chain adjust and lube, oil and hydraulic fluid levels.
+1

Check your tyres before you go! I (well, Jim I think it was) spotted a nail in my tyre after the first session at Cadwell!! Must have been in there ages, and definitely through the 100mph+ first track session I then had to have the rear replaced on track, so ran with a Dunlop GP Racer on the back and Michelin Pilot Road on the front. I was paranoid about the mismatch for a couple of sessions afterwards.

Otherwsie, basic stuff, make sure things are in decent working order and you ave enough oil etc.
steeevvvooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #11
PDL

+1 all good advice.

My 2 pence would be don't stuff yourself at lunch, just keep topping your blood sugar up after each session so take loads of tit bits, as others have said remember to drink water after each session as you will sweat more than you realise. Also just enjoy it, take it easy first couple of sessions get to know the track, you have all day, it isn't a race it is a track day so don't worry if people are passing you it doesn't matter. If there are instructors there get a free session with one of them, ask them to take you out and check your lines etc. Finally short shift before you hit Gerrards.

Enjoy it as it is a fabulous experience.
Old 03-05-2011, 12:37 PM   #12
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
The reason I mention chains in particular...

Scotty had a chain snap on his S4 on the first 2004 UKMOC trackday. It let go flat out on the pit straight and destroyed his engine. Very lucky not to have a massive off in the process. Someone caught it on video at the time - I'll try to find some pictures..

Last edited by gary tompkins; 03-05-2011 at 12:42 PM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 04:56 PM   #13
mazydog

i was at Mallory a couple of weeks ago and they had fuel on £1.50 a litre, well worth watching you tube vids for lines some say Mallory is a bit boring i found it OK good circuit to start at as your basically only learning a few turns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5p0nVTUr-o&feature=fvsr

stay up a gear on Mallory very easy to high side especially coming out of Edwina's setting up for Cooper Esses, must have been 6 bikes go their a couple of bad ones.

don't forget tape your clock up looking at that is the best possible way to run off, don't worry about what's going on behind you nothing you can do about it.

most important enjoy it
Old 05-05-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
Mr Cake

Very important, Randall, is not to listen too much to advice like this. Approach the track as you would the road until you get a feel for the circuit. You wouldn't tempt a highside on your local A-road so you're not going to do it on track. You'll instinctively carve out a decent enough line to remain safe on your first trackday. Only pay attention to circuit guides if you're chasing down sub-minute lap times around Mallory. Like I said earlier, keep your head clear. When you've finished your first session you'll soon work out what was good advice and what wasn't. More interesting than that, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and why you hadn't booked one sooner.

C
Old 05-05-2011, 06:18 PM   #15
mazydog

i beg to differ old boy the track is not the road are you suggesting this lad indicate shoulder check look for traffic emerging from the left ??????????????

you could ride round the track like your on a local A road but then why not save the cost of a track day and just ............... ride around a local A road.

Last edited by mazydog; 05-05-2011 at 06:22 PM..