UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » S4 cutting out

Old 20-06-2010, 11:12 AM   #1
littlejimmy12

S4 cutting out

S4 has been cutting out for no apparent reason, seems to happen if I'm
in first gear, for example yesterday filtering slowly through heavy traffic, 30 mins into riding and it went dead. Everything else works, lights, indi's. Swtiched it on and off and the usual movement from the clocks. It's as if the cut out switch has been flicked!!!!

It has had clip ons put in and lowered the clocks so the only thought is that there's something going on with wires because ifctge mods??

I left it to stand for 20 or so mins and then it fired up fine and I continued on my way. This is happened a few tomes now but thus was the longest amount of time it's been until
it decided to fire up again.

Anyone have any ideas ??
Old 20-06-2010, 11:32 AM   #2
LVC
The Loire Valley Monster

Bike: S4
Check out the side-stand cut off switch isn't full of grud and causing it to cut out

Edit: Also check out the neutral light connection (back of block near rear suspension) as this caused mine some minor issues a while back - bit of WD-40 and a wiggle worked for mine.
Old 20-06-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
littlejimmy12

checked all connections and no issues, bike is never full of crud!! ha ha ha

I think its the immobiliser!!!
Old 20-06-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
retskcid

it may be a long shot but have you checked that the R/R is ok? Are you getting 14ish volts at the battery with the engine running? I had intermitent running/cutting out issues, which were cured on replacement of R/R - mine was sending too many volts and fried the battery as well.
Old 20-06-2010, 08:38 PM   #5
littlejimmy12

apologies for question - what is R/R short for?
Old 20-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #6
Bunny

R/R = regulator/rectifier.
My S4 used to suffer from the coil/plug cap breaking down on the front cylinder when hot
Old 20-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #7
weimeranerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlejimmy12 View Post
apologies for question - what is R/R short for?
Regulator rectifier. It regulates and and converts the charge from the alternator. to the battery. It is under the seat on the S4. Mine went recently. It is a doddle to to replace.
Old 20-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
littlejimmy12

thank u all
Old 28-08-2010, 05:48 PM   #9
bonesaw

Hi,
My s4 is doing what bunny speaks about here. When the bike gets hot and is idling it doesn't fire consistently on one cylinder....It's like one drops off for a second and then gets spark again..I's only when the bike is at idle though and is worse when the lights are switched on.It's driving fine but in traffic when hot it gets troublesome.I got the front coil/plug cap replaced and it seemed ok for a day or so but now it's back to the same thing. Is this an r/r problem.
All help appreciated.
Old 28-08-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
analogue_rogue

check the power across the battery with engine running.. normal (with lights off) is around 13.25 - 14.5 anything outside these ranges idnicates a charging problem try revving the engine while metering thi also, the charge rate shouldnt change.
Old 30-08-2010, 12:33 PM   #11
slipperyweeguy

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
S4 cutting out when hot + poor slow running

I usually use my S4 only on open roads in the dry and avoid towns when possible. I had been aware of the lumpy and uneven slow running on my bike, but it had not really been a problem. However, due to getting the 16 year old an Aprilia 50 and keeping her company while she gets experience, I had really been cursing the S4's manners. Over the space of a couple of days spent at between 5 and 45 mph the Ducati began to misfire consistently at low rpm, and cut out a couple of times when it got hot at traffic lights. The temperature-related symptoms indicated a coil and simply unplugging the white connector onto the front coil identified it as the front coil that was mis-firing. (Smooth stable idle on just the rear cylinder).
Pattern parts not listed anywhere, so trawling the 'net offered some good info. I Ebay-purchased a coil for a 03-08 CBR600rr and it has sorted the S4's problems. Took it into Central Glasgow just as a test, and it was perfect. Similar (approx 5 inch / 128mm long coils are used on lots of bikes.
Turns out the Denso coils are mostly quite similar electrically, and the differences are length, and the seals, which just slide off. They use the same connector plugs. I measured the resistance on the Duc and CBR coils and they were the same. The fix took 60 seconds and cost £24. Hope this is of help, as a lot of folk seem to have similar problems.
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/betthome/...dencoil002.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/betthome/...oncoils001.jpg

http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/betthome/...oncoils002.jpg
slipperyweeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2010, 01:22 PM   #12
weimeranerman

Cheers Andrew! Useful; bit of info!
Old 30-08-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
The low speed runing can be vastly improved with PC111 and my map

Last edited by jerry; 31-08-2010 at 08:29 AM..
jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2010, 08:30 AM   #14
jerry
Old Git

Bike: Multiple Monsters
thanks for the info about the CBR 600 coils I just bought 4 off ebay for £25 as spares
Old 31-08-2010, 06:04 PM   #15
slipperyweeguy

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Happy if it helps.. Not just cbr coils as shown - i spoke to a friend who is a very experienced mechanic last night, and so long as the coils are the right length(128mm), and have a primary resistance (measure between the two terminals at the top*) of about 1.4 ~ 1.5 ohms ish we should be ok. For instance, if you or a friend happens to have a late r6, zx636, zx10, and maybe a hayabusa / other gsxr from certain years then compare - better than silly money at the dealer.
*first touch the meter's probes together to get a resistance reading for the meter itself, then deduct that from the reading you get from the coil. I read that 2006 R6 is the right size and has a range of 1.2 ~ 1.6 ohms. Ideally we want the resistance to be the same as the Ducati. Too little resistance means the coil flows more current, which heats the ECU (bad).
Info is rather sparse, and I think it would be great to build a table of coil types that we can use. I have a list of possibles/probables at the house, and will post it in a day or two. I could not find a Denso application list anywhere.
slipperyweeguy is offline   Reply With Quote