UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Service/Dealer & Insurance » Rosso Corse is ace

Old 04-12-2009, 08:30 PM   #1
yantheman
Bronze Member

Bike: M620sie
Rosso Corse is ace

Hi, just back from Rosso Corse.. my bike has been running rough lately and today finally given in and mainly run in one cyclinder and then the second cyclinder can kick back in and launchs me forward bloody dangerous.

So I phoned up Ray and luckily they had a slot for me and spend some time finding the fault. First the front coil was faulty and then there was intermitent power feeding into the injector. Electrical problem!! The loom was full of water inside

I am a bit broke at the moment so I didn't have the money to ask Ray to trace the broken wire and repair it... however Ray suggested a workaround and put a jumper wire from the other injector and put a power feed into the "non working" injector. Bam the bike came back to live again instead of limping along. I must say this is quiet a good work around and thank Ray for suggesting it and fixing the bike and get me going again. Still need to work tomorrow (couldn't go because of the bike fault and my boss wasn't impressed!)

Tommy the puppy is cute!

Now the bike runs fine but I am not sure I am too anal about the whole thing but it is still a work around and I would like to find the fault and repair the loom, i.e have the injector back to its individual feed as standard. Am I wrong in thinking this is doable? I know how to do continuity test on a circuit with a multimeter and I have the wiring diagram.... Are there any electrical geniuses that can help me out? I cannot afford much but something under a hundred pounds, anyone willing to help or give me some "instructions" I will at some point open up the loom and separate the loom and look inside, are there any sub-looms to make finding the broken wiire easier? too many questions...

Last edited by yantheman; 04-12-2009 at 08:33 PM..
yantheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:03 AM   #2
seby

Hello yan
this is the coil you need

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-ignitio...b#ht_500wt_956

regarding the electric wire, this is quite complicated, the best think to do i s to find a cheap second hand 620/695/800 ie wiring loom
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DUCATI-MONSTER...ht_1158wt_1167

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-S2R-800...#ht_1867wt_941
Old 05-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #3
yantheman
Bronze Member

Thanks Seby, are the wiring loom all the same across all the range? or do I need to find specific models?

The coil has been changed and it is not working fine, the other thing that I don't like is the jumper wire getting electricity to feed 2 injectors and I am bit worried that might overload the feed and cause more damage

May be changing the loom is the only option I guess.

So my question is secondhand loom any good? or I am buying in more problems?
Old 05-12-2009, 12:18 PM   #4
pegboy

Yan

I don't think Ray would do something if it was going to casue you more problems. Bypassing a section of wire will come from the same power source and therefore it will function in the same way.

When I have had problems with the wiring loom I cut open all the insulation and exposed the wires and on close inspection I could see the problem, look for melted, corroded, exposed wires etc then test the other wires for when it is live can be a long process, but unfortunately with wiring it's a process of elimination, and you have to be thorough and go through it all. It is time consuming. Once the problem area is found you can cut and replace the wiring but you will need to solder and cover with heat shrink tubing and protect the repairs really well. This is what i have done with my main loom for the ignition and no problems so far.
Old 05-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #5
yantheman
Bronze Member

Hi Paolo, I don't doubt Ray's method I am a bit anal about the wiring and I would like to have a go to find the broken wire somewhere and repair it as there was a lot of water in the loom and would like to go over it and take some preventive measures.. Electrical problems are very costly to fix and next time I don't know how much Ray is going to charge me.

Thanks to Ray as he was very sympathetic to the problem and gave me a bit of a discount. I would thoroughly recommend them to anyone here. Without Ray's help I would be still lumping along.. (in fact the bike was unrideable before the fix)
Old 05-12-2009, 03:07 PM   #6
seby

yea mate
all ie models monster
in particular 620/695/800/s2r 800 are the same
Old 05-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #7
pegboy

mate i feel for you, i'd offer my services and try to help you out but i have a new fully rebuilt motor sitting in my shed waiting to go into my bike, i havn't touched it and with Christmas around the corner and all i don't have any time what so ever, come new year it should calm down i hope, so if it can hang out till then i don't mind helping you out.
Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #8
yantheman
Bronze Member

Cheers Paolo, thank you for the offer, I am sure I can wait to sort out the problem after the New Year. The bike is running good at the moment. Will PM you after New Year. Many thanks
Old 15-12-2009, 08:14 PM   #9
bex

I love that puppy, Ray said it distracts me while I hand over the plastic. Now I know why he brings it to the workshop.