UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » Ear Plugs

Old 03-06-2009, 09:27 AM   #1
muthaducka

Bike: M1200R
Smile Ear Plugs

Just fitted my new cans yesterday - not for road use, Art Pro II carbon black and boy do they sound good. The sound is unbelievable, just awesome. Other than that, I'm pretty sure my ears are close to bleeding, so I'm going to invest in some custom made ear plugs.

Don't know if anyone has tried anything like this before but thought a few others might be interested. I have particularly small ear openings and have never got on ear phones and other types of plugs.

http://www.ultimateear.com/motorcycle.htm

I will upload some pics and sound recordings of the bike in the next couple of days.
I no longer wait for my bike to warm up outside my house, it's too embarassing
Old 03-06-2009, 09:48 AM   #2
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by muthaducka View Post
Just fitted my new cans yesterday - not for road use, Art Pro II carbon black and boy do they sound good. The sound is unbelievable, just awesome. Other than that, I'm pretty sure my ears are close to bleeding, so I'm going to invest in some custom made ear plugs.
I feel sorry for people around you whom you are subjecting to stupid levels of totally unnecessary noise.
Old 03-06-2009, 10:06 AM   #3
muthaducka

I'd like to get them DB checked to find out how loud they are. If they are louder than the norm e.g. termi's etc, then I'll see if I can get some DB killers (not quite sure what they are but sound like the right thing).

I'm not intending to be a public nuisance and if they are just too giddy then I'll take them off. I just managed to get a great second hand deal on these (£125) and want to have something similar in sound to the termi's on a lower budget
Old 03-06-2009, 10:14 AM   #4
Diego

loud cans save lives
Old 03-06-2009, 11:16 AM   #5
binky

I have some ultimate ear plugs (I am a musician) and tried using them on my bike but found they pulled out as I put my helmet on, so got some made by green lizard I THINK they are good and comfortable all day
Old 03-06-2009, 11:32 AM   #6
moony

Last edited by moony; 16-11-2009 at 10:19 AM..
Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM   #7
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
I have ultimate ears squidgys - they do the job just fine.
I am already a bit hard of hearing so I got mine with filters so I can still hear something with them in.
Even if your cans are too loud ( which I suspect they are NOT) the earplugs will save your ears from wind noise.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #8
AndyG

If you need loud cans to save you when riding you should not be riding. People who have loud cans are a total pain for everybody else.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:02 PM   #9
Paivi

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
If you need loud cans to save you when riding you should not be riding. People who have loud cans are a total pain for everybody else.
Agreed.
Old 03-06-2009, 01:43 PM   #10
Nonnie
Dipstick!

Bike: M620ie
Ooooh! I've got a comfy chair and some popcorn.

As you were.....

http://www.think.norfolk.gov.uk/content.asp?pid=6
Nonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #11
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Quote:
Yes i simply cannot understand their attitude!!

Yorkie

PS I am of course taking the Pi55, loud is the only way to live!

Last edited by Yorkie; 03-06-2009 at 07:40 PM..
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:33 PM   #12
Diego

Quote:
Obviously noise levels are a subjective matter. No doubt there. Going as far as calling people with loud cans a pain. Not done!

As far as load cans go in a city like London they come in quite handy when for ex pedestrians jump between busses to get to the other side of the road.
If they hear you coming people are more likely not to jump out in front of you risking their lives and yours. Another classic example is when your filtering past slow and almost stationary traffic on the left and the cars that tend to drift into you don't because they hear you behind or beside them.

Visibility is not always that great during commuting times hence if ones presence or awareness of it is enhanced by sound than so be it.

Anyway, most aftermarket cans on a Monster are typically classified as loud.

Last edited by Diego; 03-06-2009 at 02:58 PM..
Old 03-06-2009, 02:47 PM   #13
muthaducka

Well it's good to hear that other people are using Ultimate ear plugs, so it's not that uncommon. They make on set specifically for bikes that should be a better fit.

I've been aware that most riders around me are using plugs and know that I should get it sorted, even if it's just to reduce the wind noise (can cause sufficient damage).

As for the pipes, there are some comedy comments and a few from the headmaster. Good to see that I've got a bit of support.

Second day out with the pipes today, a bloke stepped out from the front of a bus. Regardless of the pipes, I was aware it's a typical danger point but the pipes helped wake him up to the situation.
Old 03-06-2009, 03:31 PM   #14
Black Bob

Bike: M1100evo
Quote:
Are you serious or have you never actually ridden in situations where :

- pedestrians step into the road without seeing you (because they're looking out for cars and develop some sort of blind spot for bikes / bicycles)
- cars pull in front of you without looking / checking their mirrors ( as above )

That's just two examples.

Fine, if you are travelling out in the country in normal moving traffic situations then you cannot expect your lovely booming exhausts to help you avoid any nasty situations, but in a congested city or filtering through miles of stationary traffic, it can make a real difference.

That and a Stebel Magmum hooter.

Honestly, the streets are chock full of kamikaze, homocidal morons who you'd swear are both blind and deaf.

And if you've ever taken a trip on a passenger jet then you can shut the **** up full stop, because that would just make you the utlimate noise hypocrite. Have you heard the noise those things make lately ?

And if you don't use a manual push-mower to cut your grass..... blah blah blah....

Bob.
Black Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 04:10 PM   #15
cairojay

Celebrity Deathmatch....

LETS GET IT ONNNNN......!!!!

Honestly, who really cares??? There are far too many things in this world that are much more serious than someone blatting around on a noisy bike. Lets face it Air France and the families of the poor lost souls have got something to think about, not to mention all the cr*p going on in the world what with disease, famine, poverty, drugs war etc etc. People who moan about noisy pipes have way too much time on their hands or are simply so egocentric that they ought to take a good look at themselves before sounding off. Bikers constitute such a small minority in comparison with the amount of traffic on the roads and always will in the UK. There is a law regarding noise, if you get caught then you're bang to rights but in the meantime guys show a little solidarity!!