UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Hello!

Old 19-08-2008, 07:57 AM   #1
TristanK

Hello!

New to the forum and returning to bikes after a five year break (not literally though!).

Was almost going to buy a CBR600, but then thought "what about a monster?" Always fancied one, but never thought I'd be able to afford one. Now I can!! WooHoo!

So question is which one do I get? I'm going to be using it mainly for commuting to work (all town stuff) and then for hooning at the weekends. I may occasionally wish to do some motorway stuff and some distance.

Would I be better off with the M900? Or would the M600 or M750 suffice?

Cheers
Lads!! (and lasses obviously)
Old 19-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #2
Arbeia

depends how much you want to spend. If you can get an 07 model or upwards as they`re cheeper to service than older 1`s. I had an s2r 800 which i loved then bought a new 696 which i thought was better in everyway,but its personal choice.
The 696 has same bhp than the s2r 800 (80bhp) I personaly wouldnt get anything below 80bhp. anything below that just feels lacking in my eyes.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:04 AM   #3
squiffything

This one http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=29345 one of the nicest monsters on here and well worth the money. Give Marcus a shout and treat yourself.

Welcome to the forum by the way.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:08 AM   #4
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Hello to another new member.
Choice of bike is pretty wide for you now, you've got the older 800's, 900's, 620's, but also don't forget about something like the 695's as their used prices will have tumbled because of the new 696. Quite a few 695 owners on here, and I used to have one too.
All depends on the dosh you want to spend in the end.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-08-2008, 08:10 AM   #5
TristanK

Yes, that is very nice!! However my "price range" is more like £1500!! Now I know that's going to buy me a headache, but I'm a competent spanner man and don't mind getting me mits mucky!!

My main worry is, is there anything I should be wary of? any known faults on the earlier models?? I've heard a few can suffer with starting issues.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:14 AM   #6
Arbeia

u`l hear all kinds i`m sure. one i have witnessed 1st hand is engine paint flaking off. just hope they have sorted that with this 696.
Old 19-08-2008, 08:22 AM   #7
TristanK

Well that's OK then! I'm not overly bothered bu cosemtic stuff as tht's easily rectified. It's more the mechanics of the things as they're a bit different to what I'm used to working on (mainly two smokes, I had an addiction to Jap import 250's). Saying that the engines appear to have a lot in common with cars, i.e cambelts rather than chains. How easy is it to change these? I'm assuming it's easier than a chain?
Old 19-08-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
Scotty

1500 ? get a 900 make sure it has the big valves , and an issue of that generation might be the cylinder studs they sometimes brake
Old 19-08-2008, 09:55 PM   #9
TristanK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty View Post
1500 ? get a 900 make sure it has the big valves , and an issue of that generation might be the cylinder studs they sometimes brake
Hmmmmmm, sounds like a plan!
Old 19-08-2008, 10:20 PM   #10
BluprintZ

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by TristanK View Post
... my "price range" is more like £1500!! Now I know that's going to buy me a headache...
Not necessarily!
I bought my 900 in April for £2k, with 10k on the clock, on biketrader.
So long as you are careful and don't rush for the first one you come across, you should get a decent Monster for the amount you have to spend.
I was checking out various bike webshops for about three months before i came across mine, it was one of those situations when you have one of those feelings (ooer, missus!) and you just know that is the one for you.
Good luck.
Old 20-08-2008, 08:35 AM   #11
TristanK

I've been doing a lot of research last night and several people (in reviews) have said "great bike but fooking uncomfortable unless your vertically challenged". Well I'm six foot and about 12 stone. Is it gonna be a bit cramped? I do have trouble with my right leg if squashed up to much due to a Vulva driver having a good go at killing me in 1992. Bust right femur, left fib and tib, left wrist, three vertebrae, oh you get the gist!!

Am I going to be in agony after 20 mins?
Old 20-08-2008, 06:31 PM   #12
Scotty

I would say not , but that depends on just how 'ard / soft you are , try and get a test ride I guess
Old 20-08-2008, 07:02 PM   #13
BluprintZ

Smile

Quote:
I do have trouble with my right leg if squashed up to much....Am I going to be in agony after 20 mins?
Probably, no i'm only joking!
I shat myself the first time i took the bike out, i had to stand up on the footrests within 100 yards or so, i got a hell of a cramp in me right hip.
I thought i would have to fit something to bring the seat hight up a bit but once i got settled a mile or so later, it was fine and has been since.
I've done a few 200 milers on mine, i found the seat could be a touch hard and arse numbing, so i might sort that out over the winter stripdown.
I'm sure you'll sort the bike out to your own liking over time, it's called customising!
Old 21-08-2008, 05:19 AM   #14
dam

Monster cramp

I'm 6 foot too (and 11 Stone) and not had any problems fitting the bike. I have a couple of knee problems too and again feel ok.

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of research last night and several people (in reviews) have said "great bike but fooking uncomfortable unless your vertically challenged". Well I'm six foot and about 12 stone. Is it gonna be a bit cramped? I do have trouble with my right leg if squashed up to much due to a Vulva driver having a good go at killing me in 1992. Bust right femur, left fib and tib, left wrist, three vertebrae, oh you get the gist!!

Am I going to be in agony after 20 mins?
Old 21-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #15
TristanK

Excellent! Test ride it is then.