UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Web Page & Forum :. » UKMOC Suggestion Box » Buying a Monster - generic thread suggestion

Old 09-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Bike: Other Ducati
Buying a Monster - generic thread suggestion

No offence to anyone who posts on site about "i'm buying a monster, what do I need to look out for" but would it be a good idea if there was a Tips for Buying link, sticky thread or section somewhere that covered everything..

for example.

monster:
service history up to date
belts changed every blah blah
look for corrosion on the blah etc

specific models:
S4 - blah blah

620 - blah blah.

As you can see i'm not the best person to write such a link but it would be a great tool for anyone shopping, even old pro's like us after another bike...

Any thoughts.
Old 09-06-2008, 07:11 PM   #2
Blah blah
Upsetting normal people..

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Dave View Post

monster:
service history up to date
belts changed every blah blah
look for corrosion on the blah etc

specific models:
S4 - blah blah

620 - blah blah.

As you can see i'm not the best person to write such a link but it would be a great tool for anyone shopping, even old pro's like us after another bike...

Any thoughts.
Why ask me, I've got a 750 ???
Blah blah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:16 PM   #3
adam15

That does sound like a good idea, it would certainly help people who are considering getting a monster or who want to get another one but a different model
Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
Dave G
Imagineer

Great idea!
Who's going to start it?
Old 09-06-2008, 07:32 PM   #5
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Yep good idea. I guess you could compile all the results of threads into a section .Copy paste all decent info into the relevant bikes.
Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #6
adam15

And you can use owners on here who have had experience with a said bike to help with identifying problems that are common or they have found to be a problem
Old 09-06-2008, 07:35 PM   #7
Dave G
Imagineer

Might I suggest a look at this as a sort of template.
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/buyingused.php
Old 09-06-2008, 07:38 PM   #8
adam15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
Might I suggest a look at this as a sort of template.
http://www.ducati-upnorth.com/tech/buyingused.php
Not bad....I'm willing to help with the setup/HTML code if this does happen and help is required
Old 10-06-2008, 04:59 PM   #9
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

well i'm hopeless with info and set up, but good with suggestions. Anyone care to make a start.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:25 PM   #10
Scotty

could always just have a sticky in the bike reviews section for buying a used ### monster
Old 10-06-2008, 07:52 PM   #11
Dave G
Imagineer

Right,heres a start, its not comprehensive or perfect in any way but if each of us chimes in with basic info about our own model then it can be cut and pasted onto a proper article page!
We also need a general buyers guide if anyone wants to volunteer, that'll cover things like belts, service history etc!

Hopefully I'll have made enough generalisation to get someone annoyed enough to correct me.

Model- Monster S2R 800
Years in production-2005- 2007
Identifying features- Aircooled motor,single sided swingarm,black two piston brake calipers
Colours-red/white, black/orange,yellow/black,dark
Specs-
Motor: Air-cooled four-stroke 90-degree L-twin.
Capacity: 803cc.
Bore x stroke: 88 x 66mm.
Valvegear: SOHC with two desmodromic valves per cylinder.
Compression ratio: 10.5:1.
Power: 56.7kW @ 8250rpm.
Torque: 72.6Nm @ 6500rpm.
Induction: Marelli electronic fuel injection, with two 45mm throttle bodies.
Ignition: Electronic.
Starting: Electric.
Clutch: Hydraulically actuated APTC wet multi-plate clutch.
Transmission: Six-speed gearbox with final drive by chain.
Suspension: 43mm Marzocchi inverted cartridge forks at front, adjustable for preload, compression and rebound damping, single-sided swing-arm and Sachs monoshock adjustable for ride height, preload, compression and rebound damping at rear.
Brakes: Twin 300mm discs with Brembo twin-piston floating callipers at front, 245mm disc with Brembo twin-pot opposed piston calliper at rear.
Tyres: Front: 120/70 ZR17 tubeless. Rear: 180/55 ZR17 tubeless.
Wheelbase: 1440mm.
Seat height: 800mm.
Dry weight: 173kg.
Fuel capacity: 14 litres.

Good points-
Lightweight clutch lever and anti hop 'slipper'action clutch.Smooth and refined fuel injection

Points to watch out for-

Brakes need more pressure than other Ducati brakes but are aimed at newer riders and still effective,softer pads help.

Common modifications- 14tooth front sprocket or larger rear help driveability. Other Ducati 320mm discs and goldline brakes are a straight bolt on job. Cat replacement pipes help the looks and the sound of the stock cans.Aftermarket mirrors are common but generally aren't as good as the OE ones.
Old 10-06-2008, 10:15 PM   #12
Scotty

So, you want to buy an S4

regarded by some as the worst monster ever made, the S4 was the first water cooled monster inheriting the old 916 engine, I would perhaps describe it as a bit more raw and unrefined.

a comparison of 916 sized engine can be explored here at the moto one website (which is also full of other interesting stuff)
http://www.moto-one.com.au/performan...ters4diff.html

there have been two VOSA safety recalls
one for fuel lines and another for a clutch issue
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...freeText=Blank
http://www.vosa.gov.uk/vosa/apps/rec...freeText=Blank

the S4 verity was produced or 3 years 2001 through to 2003 before it was superseded by the S4r and its later variants
you can see the technical specifications etc on Ducati's website in the previous years models
http://www.ducati.com/my2001/monster.jhtml
http://www.ducati.com/my2002/ducatiM...l?modelName=S4
http://www.ducati.com/my2003/ducatiM...odelName=S4-03

you can also retrieve 'owners manuals' and 'parts manuals' from the Ducati website, for a 'work shop manual' you can buy one from a dealer or if your good at foreign languages try http://www.duc.nu/manuals/

now then the observant among you may have noticed the 'Foggy S4' on the Ducati pages, this was essentially an S4 but with the performance parts book thrown at it good for 15 extra bhp and plenty of 'Bling' for good measure

there was also a promotional race series run alongside BSB (s4 challenge) for a year or two and a fair few of these bike made it back to dealers on onto the road these bike also included a few racing goodies

now then, whilst were on about model variations, the one major change I'm aware of over the years was the electrics upgrade for 2002 , 2003 model's
this can be seen in the owners manuals (2001 has a electronics schematic in the back where as later owners manuals don't) if you want to play with electrics buy a 2001 model as the later variations have the modern clock set with extra immobiliser chips.

now then specific S4 things to look for

the front plug hole is right behind the front wheel and prone to collecting water (if you ride in the rain) over time this will rust and split the front coil which sits on top of the spark plug and you will end up with a misfire at low rpm make sure you grease the rubber collar to help keep water out, a new coil is £100 ish

handling unlike other monsters you are limited to how much you can drop the yokes down the forks by the radiator , the only solution for a quicker steer is to jack the rear up ( I hope your tall) this has a possible knock on effect, if your going to alter the finial drive gear ration I would always adjust the size of the rear sprocket to prevent the chain rubbing on top of the swingarm too much.

Ducati John has a good list of general things to look for on Ducati's
http://www.ducati-john.co.uk/ducati-points.htm
Old 11-06-2008, 05:01 PM   #13
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Dave G, nice try and thanks for the effort but when buying a bike, dry weight and fuell consumption can be found in any spec sheet, what i was thinking was a list of what a new owner would need to look for when viewing a bike. Check for cracks in the hangers or scrapes on the bar ends from a drop, do the grips match in wear or has it had a replacement after sliding down the road. Specific issues to look at on certain bikes and general stuff. Maybe i should rename this thread "what do you check when buying a monster"
Old 11-06-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
Dave G
Imagineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoid Dave View Post
Dave G, nice try and thanks for the effort but when buying a bike, dry weight and fuell consumption can be found in any spec sheet, what i was thinking was a list of what a new owner would need to look for when viewing a bike. Check for cracks in the hangers or scrapes on the bar ends from a drop, do the grips match in wear or has it had a replacement after sliding down the road. Specific issues to look at on certain bikes and general stuff. Maybe i should rename this thread "what do you check when buying a monster"
Absolutely right Dave,the spec sheet is a crib from elsewhere, it may be useful to have a list of these somewhere for the older bikes as that info is usually only readily available for current models.
What I'm trying to do is goad others into doing better, your turn to do your model of monster now Dave.
What would you recommend you check on yours?
Old 12-06-2008, 07:13 PM   #15
Paranoid Dave
Is it meant to do that?

Oh ask me an easy one please. But little things like:

Check odd wear on swingarm from chain, check chain adjustment and lube, is front hugger mount broken, can't think of any more right now.