UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » Newbie in SW London

Old 08-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #1
crash

Newbie in SW London

Hi all,

Passed my test last Wednesday and picked up my 695 yesterday.

Still can't believe I've got one - have dreamed of riding a motorcycle and owning a Monster for a long time now. I said I would never own one but hey life is too short not to live your dreams. Have been outside to check that I am not dreaming but she is still there and a real beaut as well.

Will be using it for my cross London commute and the odd blat down Boxhill. Went straight out on it yesterday down the A24 and put 80 miles under the wheels grinning from ear to ear.

Think I'm going to have difficulty not taking the long way home everyday!

Looking forward to some good chats on the forum.

Ride safe.

cheers,
John
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 PM   #2
Paivi

Welcome here, too, John! Loads of other 695s here.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:57 PM   #3
Humbucker

Welcome mate, now you have Duke you'll never have anything else. see you soon
Old 09-06-2007, 07:50 AM   #4
benson

Hi John and welcome to the forum - you'll probably meet up with the Kenties quite soon given that yu're south of the river and I'm Benson the London and Essex rep - I'm in east London - yes very close to Essex!!! - but welcome and see you soon I hope!
Old 09-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #5
adds666

Welcome. hopefully see u at The Box soon!! lol
Old 13-06-2007, 10:33 PM   #6
crash

Thanks for all the kind greetings.

Well after 5 and a half days of Monster ownership I have fallen into the perils of Italian machinery.

Leaving work yesterday, hit the plipper on my Datatool System 4 and nothing, zip, nada.

In desparation, turn the ignition on and the alarm goes off which I manage to disable using the plipper which now seems to work.

However, now the bike is really buggered. Speedo is going haywire, trip and odo are racking up mileage (as the bike seems to think it is doing 150mph) rapid clicking noise coming from relays by battery and of course no sound of the fuel pump priming or starter.

Tried everything, kill switch, side stand, clutch, neutral, swapping relays all to no avail. So eventually at 11pm, recovery van arrived to try and jump start the bike. With the battery connected up to the car, ignition appears to work normally. I.e. needles sweep around, fuel pump primes and alarm seems to disable. However, still no joy starting, just a click from the relay under the seat.

So it gets loaded for the transport of shame back to home base. Ironically, the alarm motion sensor did not go off once in the back of the van

Being picked up again tomorrow to be returned to Metropolis to find out what's wrong with the bike. Possible scenarios:

1) I left the parking lights on which flattened the battery
2) Alarm installed incorrectly which flattened the battery
3) Relay has blown
4) Loose earth / electrical connection

Will keep you posted as to how I get on.

Now where was that trick they used in Ferris Bueller's day off to run the Ferrari in reverse to reduce the mileage?

Damn, bikes don't have a reverse...

Wish me luck,
John
Old 13-06-2007, 10:48 PM   #7
Gadget
wtf...

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Good Luck.

Gadget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 08:30 AM   #8
banditloon

Talking

Welcome to the group. Sorry to hear that your Monster is playing up already

I'm usually found lurking in Chelsea at the weekends and sometimes 'kidnap' the girlfriend, just to put a silly grin on her face heading to Box Hill on 'old reliable' pillion slippy seat (never thought I'd call my bike that )

Hope it's sorted soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget View Post
Good Luck.
Is that for Metropolis actually finding a problem on the bike??
Old 14-06-2007, 08:59 AM   #9
Nim

Hey John,

You just gotta love italian machines, huh? Ive had my 695 for a few months and its been pretty much ok (ish), my old 600 never had a problem.....not that that helps you. Im also SW London, and just so you know, we are starting up a rogue group of 695ers....well, when we can get them all to work as they should

there are a few of us around here, so ill send you a PM next time we're planning to go out and about if we actually decide in advance. maybe box hill this weekend on sat? Theres a ride up from the ace cafe so they will prob be at box hill around midday......
Old 14-06-2007, 09:00 AM   #10
Nim

If youre bike's ok by then....i also got mine at metropolis....let me know what you think of their service
Old 14-06-2007, 09:03 AM   #11
spm23

My Speedo's went lupi, showing 6000 miles after 60. They were replaced under warrenty. So your problem is not uncommon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash View Post
However, now the bike is really buggered. Speedo is going haywire, trip and odo are racking up mileage (as the bike seems to think it is doing 150mph) rapid clicking noise coming from relays by battery and of course no sound of the fuel pump priming or starter.
Old 14-06-2007, 02:01 PM   #12
Lucati

Well hello all,

I'm a new boy too, also 695, owned it a month and also bought it from Damiano at Metropolis! Sorry to hear about yours John, I may well bump into you at Metropolis as mines in there at the moment having an MPH clock fitted that they forgot to do when I bought it - also hoping they will have the rear seat fairing that they also forgot!..... Have to say I'm a convert though.
A fellow Monster rider pulled up at the lights last week and told me to check out the forum, nice to see so many like minded individuals and if the guy reads this then thanks mate!

It usually gets to this point in the afternoon and I start counting the hours to home time and the second best part of my day (the ride home! - First best part of my day is the ride in!)

I guess I better do some work!

Lucas aka Lucati
Old 14-06-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
J.P
No more Monster...

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Nim, I definitely like the idea of the sub-break-away 695'ers.

-------------------------------

My Mum says, there's no such thing as Monsters.
J.P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2007, 02:35 PM   #14
banditloon

Welcome to the group Lucas

Old 14-06-2007, 03:05 PM   #15
squiffything

Quote:
Originally Posted by spm23 View Post
My Speedo's went lupi, showing 6000 miles after 60. They were replaced under warrenty. So your problem is not uncommon.
I wasn't aware that you could get a warranty for swimming trunks......