UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Warm Up Area :. » A nice place for new members to say hello » First Duke - Lumpy Ride ?

Old 26-07-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
MIKE SANDERSON

First Duke - Lumpy Ride ?

Hello All - I've been away from bikes for a wee while and just bought a 750 dark (2003) ooohhh I've missed it. First ride and I thought twins were lazey lumps to ride but this is very snatchy and judders at low revs. Is this normal? It seems to love full throttle but grumbles in town. I've been used to Honda and Suzuki perfromance and sort of did not expect this. I've no tacho so have to guess. In any event I'm still buzzin - I love it.
Old 26-07-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
rxtim

Welcome to the club.

It don't think it should be like that. I assume you have checked the obvious things like chain, clutch, etc. When was it last serviced?

Of course you may just need to drop down a gear!
Old 26-07-2006, 12:11 PM   #3
Will

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKE SANDERSON
Hello All - I've been away from bikes for a wee while and just bought a 750 dark (2003) ooohhh I've missed it. First ride and I thought twins were lazey lumps to ride but this is very snatchy and judders at low revs. Is this normal? It seems to love full throttle but grumbles in town. I've been used to Honda and Suzuki perfromance and sort of did not expect this. I've no tacho so have to guess. In any event I'm still buzzin - I love it.
It depends what you call low revs - if you let the revs drop too far in too high a gear then it will be very lumpy and snatchy. I am used to twins and found 4-cylinder K1200s Beemer a bit odd the first time I rode one, as it would pull incredibly smoothly from almost tickover in any gear- by comparison a Ducati air cooled twin is incredibly lumpy and snatchy at low revs (1500rpm say) you will need to slip the clutch to keep the revs up a bit.
Old 26-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #4
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool

Welcome to the club!

They all do that! Just keep the revs up a bit and it wont judder! See you on a ride out at some point!

Yorkie.
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 12:32 PM   #5
Steggz

Yeah sounds right to me. Just be careful not to look a tit in public :-) A revvy little twin really, loves the higher range - Ducati for ya. Others pull all round the range, my Ducati' dosnt, but a performance induced engine doesn't tend to. Out the factory with hunger for the throttle , don't starve it! That would be most cruel.....
Old 26-07-2006, 03:16 PM   #6
MIKE SANDERSON

Hi all - thanks for your comments - only been to Scarborough and back (108 miles) I will give it a week or so to get used to it. The bike came serviced at 3k back in April and all looks ok - maybe some through pipes could help Has anyone fitted a digital tacho to a Monster or anyone know of a new dash with tacho included ?
Old 26-07-2006, 03:27 PM   #7
MIKE SANDERSON

Hi all - thanks for your comments - only been to Scarborough and back (108 miles) I will give it a week or so to get used to it. The bike came serviced at 3k back in April and all looks ok - maybe some through pipes could help Has anyone fitted a digital tacho to a Monster or anyone know of a new dash with tacho included ?
Old 26-07-2006, 08:09 PM   #8
stef

i am in the process of making my own. 30 leds..
a doodle if you are handy with a soldering iron.
Old 26-07-2006, 08:46 PM   #9
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
You could have a look at these perhaps, I reckon they should work a treat and not too expensive either!

http://www.banditmania.co.uk/digital_clocks.htm
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2006, 10:11 PM   #10
MIKE SANDERSON

Hi Stef & Zimbo thanks for your reply - like to know how you get on with your led's and I got a new solder iron for xmas ! I've check'ed out the Zimbo link and looks tempting mmmmm
Old 27-07-2006, 11:11 AM   #11
Tigerlily

Hiya Mike, welcome to the club

Monsters are a bit lumpy, like the others have said you just need to change how you ride a little bit - leave it a bit longer until you change gear.

My 600 doesn't have a tacho either so I know what it's like when you're "guessing" when to change. It's not too difficult to fit a tacho unit (just a bit expensive).

Another option is to change the front sprocket for a 14 tooth one. Quite a few people have done that and it makes it much smoother

ps.... Hope you don't mind about the threads being merged