UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Number Plate Sizes

Old 21-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #1
Shandy

Question Number Plate Sizes

Following on from another thread and not wishing to hijack it i have a question on number plate sizes.

The road legal size is 9" x 7" which lets face it looks like someones stuck an advertising hoarding on the bike of your bike

I was just wondering what size everyone runs around with and how much smaller you can go below the standard size before attracting undue attention from the local sheriff.

Ta in advance,

Shandy
Old 21-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #2
dazzi-b

I've got a 8 X 6 on the back with the legal sized letters. I think it looks a lot better
Old 21-06-2006, 08:17 PM   #3
tommo

7 x 3 with 25mm high lettering, no prob's yet.
Old 21-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #4
dazzi-b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommo
7 x 3 with 25mm high lettering, no prob's yet.
I didn't want to risk that around here.......it's a good enough reason to get pulled over and have the bike checked out.......mind you it's gone quiet these days, the blitz is dying down a bit

The bit No No around here is the letters & numbers all in a line
Old 21-06-2006, 08:30 PM   #5
DesmoDog

kni small, but not a 7x3, that's an oblong right? Mines a square, and the new version I put on I had ot put a yellow tape over the "Not for Road Use" bit on the bottom. What will get into trouble is the angle the plate is at. You could almost sit a cuppa on there. No problems yet.

But, as my spanner monkey says: "if the coppers are going to pull you over, it's because they hate bikers, and then you're nicked no matter." Wise words, unless of course you ride a BMW, Harley, or Pan European.
Old 21-06-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
eonan

7 x 5.5

I don't know about other areas but up here they seem to be really clamping down on plate sizes. The 7 x 5.5 with standard lettering doesn't look as if it's taking the p*ss, so fingers crossed eh.
Old 21-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #7
im_Jimmy84

i've got a 6"x4" number plate with 35mm letters/numbers and i've never had any problems! I've had alot of looks from the police but i thing they're admiring the bike!!
Old 21-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #8
CK & AK
flob-a-lob-a-lob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
std sizes only: Thames Valley, Surrey and Hants finest disapprove otherwise, and Wilts are downright nasty about it
CK & AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:08 PM   #9
stuartg

I've got a 6 x 4 plate with non standard font.

I got pulled on the way to the trackday but not for the plate, didn't think he was going to mention it but he did in the end, but only after giving Madhatter and I a bit of a roasting. He just told me to get it sorted then let us on our way.
Old 21-06-2006, 09:24 PM   #10
Stafford
P3, nice.

Bike: S2r 1000
But where is a good place to get a non standard plate made up?
Q

The probability of survival is equal to the angle of arrival.
Stafford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2006, 09:28 PM   #11
Shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by quarxuk
But where is a good place to get a non standard plate made up?
Q
Roberto posted this earlier for me on another thread thats what started this one all off, looks like they do some good stuff,

http://www.design-a-cover.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK & AK
std sizes only: Thames Valley, Surrey and Hants finest disapprove otherwise, and Wilts are downright nasty about it
As i ride mainly in wiltshire and thames valley it looks like the advertising hoarding may be staying on the bike after all

Cheers,

Shandy
Old 21-06-2006, 10:33 PM   #12
Zimbo
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: Multiple Monsters
www.malplates.co.uk

go to show signs. They've a great online design tool too.
Zimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 07:18 AM   #13
markus

i used demonplates for mine - you get to design it on line and can have funky raised carbon lettering like mine and lots of other custom features like borders and slogans. I've never run a legal (or for that matter close to legal) sized plate on any bike and not been pulled once, could be just luck - but i've always found that if it's on two lines and readable they don't care too much. it's the miniscule single line plates that get up their noses.
Old 22-06-2006, 08:02 PM   #14
bigredduke
Nothing to see here

Bike: M1100evo
I have a 7" x 6" plate, looks much neater but doesn't look ridiculously small. I went deep into enemy territory recently on a bikesafe course and there was not a single comment from any of the police riders present.

I think the way you ride and your attitude is more likely to attract unwanted attention.
bigredduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2006, 08:28 PM   #15
neilbaldry

ive just ordered one from malplates.co.uk. put a slogan on the bottom too - 'www.ukmonster.co.uk'.

when it arrives, i will get a photo and post it up here if anyone would like to see it?