UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Regions :. » Region Announcements » SCOTLAND » Seat Lowering

Old 11-04-2006, 06:58 PM   #1
Fran

Seat Lowering

Was wondering if any of you guys/gals knew of anyone on the west coast who does this? Im teensy ... and since coming off my620ie in october, my confidence has gone, and would feel much better if i could get two feet firmly on the ground. I thought about lowering the seat first to see if that would help, before going to the extremes of getting the suspension lowered.
Any suggestions?
Old 11-04-2006, 07:24 PM   #2
tamtbam@hotmail

Apart from that you could eat loads of curries, that'll put the weight on.
Know what you mean about confidence going. Ihad a bang in Kuwait and after i got back on it took about a month before i thashed it again.
Keep yur pecker up Fran and it'll come back to you, that's if the bloody weather changes.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
marchesini
Um, thinking of something

Bike: S4r
A forum member wanted to swap seats - offering a low one for a standard one for the pricely sum of zero pence. Might be worth a look:

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/s...ad.php?t=16834

Also look for a company called Bum Wraps who can cut down you seat and while their at it, cover it in some snazzy like a different coloured vinyl or perhaps something ironic like leopard print. As well as the height, I would take some off the width or 'girth' as it is known in some quarters. Once you are moving you can slide back into the wider comfy part of the seat and the narrow part at the front is perfick for traffic lights. Seem to remember it was about £50-£60.

If alcantara (a faux suede) tickles you fancy, a fellow called Glyn on the DSC (Ducati Sporting Club) does a cracking job - for about £30 if I remember correctly - as long as you are happy with grey or black. The material itself is about £80 a metre

One last thing to think about is to find a second hand one and do tghe cutting yourself and then just get it covered. At least then you'll know it's the right height. Try to avoid lowering the suspension if you can as it'll not ride as well.

Hope this helps

simon
marchesini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 09:36 AM   #4
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Or you could wear stacked heels like simon... (sorry bud !!)

On a serious note - plenty of people on here have had their seats modded so you should be fine..

Cheers
Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2006, 11:16 AM   #5
sidestand

lower seat

buy a mcn that will give you all the companys that do that type of work
Old 12-04-2006, 04:13 PM   #6
singletrack

Bike: Other Not a Ducati
Fran

Have you got Daytona Ladystar boots? They are built up inside and give you an extra few centimetres. (I even know a guy who wears them).
Old 02-05-2006, 09:15 PM   #7
Fran

Update!

Thanks everyone for your replies.
Tam, i do love curries but unfortunately intentional weight gain for me is a no no I'll have you know...i'm female afterall.
John, in all the weeks that ive bought mcn i've never read the supplement... and when i did could'nt find anyone listed for west coast!!
Anne thanks for the info on the daytona ladystars... will have a look out for them.
Simon, cheers for the info. I decided to get a 2nd hand seat to get it modified. I checked the part number of the seat as its off a 2000 900 model and it matched mines....but the fitting is a loop style and my 2004 620ie is a pin, did'nt realise it would have been different! Ive been on to Ducati Glasgow and seemingly Ducati dont do replacement pins????
I was wondering if anyone has a spare pin lying around that i could possibly buy? I eventually managed to find a place on the west coast Blazin Saddles who is gonna do the mod for me.... if im lucky to get a pin!!
Old 05-05-2006, 06:05 AM   #8
tamtbam@hotmail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Thanks everyone for your replies.
Tam, i do love curries but unfortunately intentional weight gain for me is a no no I'll have you know...i'm female afterall.
John, in all the weeks that ive bought mcn i've never read the supplement... and when i did could'nt find anyone listed for west coast!!
Anne thanks for the info on the daytona ladystars... will have a look out for them.
Simon, cheers for the info. I decided to get a 2nd hand seat to get it modified. I checked the part number of the seat as its off a 2000 900 model and it matched mines....but the fitting is a loop style and my 2004 620ie is a pin, did'nt realise it would have been different! Ive been on to Ducati Glasgow and seemingly Ducati dont do replacement pins????
I was wondering if anyone has a spare pin lying around that i could possibly buy? I eventually managed to find a place on the west coast Blazin Saddles who is gonna do the mod for me.... if im lucky to get a pin!!
Scuse me for bein daft but can't you slave the pin off your original seat and fit it to the one you've bought
And no i'm not posing aspirations about your brain capacity Fran
Old 05-05-2006, 01:44 PM   #9
Fran

Tam.... I may be blondish!!!! LOL. I did think about that... but want to keep original seat incase i say bye bye to it at some point!
Old 05-05-2006, 01:49 PM   #10
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
How short are you??

I dont mean to be nosey but im tiny too and am gettin used to the ride height more everyday, i was rammed from behind (oerr behave!) by a car and still managed to hold the bike up!! its the reach to the bars that im changing as its to long for me!!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 01:55 PM   #11
Fran

Hey Ricky.... read bout your lil spat..... hope the rear end is doin ok !! Glad it was'nt too serious for ya.
Im 5ft 3.5..... got to get that half inch in !!! and a weakling ..lol. Since coming off the bike last year my confidence is shot..... and problem being im not out on it alot. Im a fairweather lass.... and livin here we dont see much sun.....apart from today...and theres loads of bikes out and me fingers and toes are twitchin!!!
Old 05-05-2006, 02:00 PM   #12
ricky
5ft 3 of perfection!!

Bike: M620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran
Hey Ricky.... read bout your lil spat..... hope the rear end is doin ok !! Glad it was'nt too serious for ya.
Im 5ft 3.5..... got to get that half inch in !!! and a weakling ..lol. Since coming off the bike last year my confidence is shot..... and problem being im not out on it alot. Im a fairweather lass.... and livin here we dont see much sun.....apart from today...and theres loads of bikes out and me fingers and toes are twitchin!!!
Aw your MASSIVE!! a whole inch taller than me!! Its not fair!!
Seriously though i dont blame ya for wantin it done then, it helps your confidence when your feet touch the ground! Not that i would know of course!!

drunk:
Northern Irelands answer to common sense-NORTHERN IRELAND REP!!
ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 08:15 PM   #13
Fran

Further Update !!

The sun arrived here today, so plucked up the courage to get out on the Monnie. Bit wobbly to begin with, but considering its been 8months i reckon i did not too bad..the lowered seat definately makes a difference. Anyways.... cant wait till tomorrow and hopefully more sunshine and im out to clock up the miles !!!
Old 03-06-2006, 10:23 PM   #14
Chappers

Try the Daytona Ladystar boots as they have a heel inside.

Try skimming the seat.

Try Ducati Leeds who can advise on a adjustable link/hoop for the rear of the bike and can adjust the forks as per what they did for Jane's bike (PM her for more info).

I was really worried about collecting my new S2R yesterday as I can only get balls of feet on the floor but I'm fine with it already, just shift my big butt over to one side when stationary or doing slow manouvers but I must admit still not happy with fannying around with parking on uneven surfaces yet as I figured out at mum's tonight.
Old 03-06-2006, 10:43 PM   #15
The Kevlar Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chappers
I must admit still not happy with fannying around with parking
Cue joke about women drivers

Errr ahem...