UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Wanted and Offered :. » For Sale » Rear suspension jack up kits for older monnies with the 'hoop'

Old 17-02-2006, 12:18 PM   #1
NattyBoy
Monsterless again for now

Bike: M900
Rear suspension jack up kits for older monnies with the 'hoop'

Rich at Louigi Moto has just had a new batch of jack up kits machined for the earlier monsters with the suspension hoop. Look great ! They screw in to the existing rose joints and raise the rear ride height, making your bike turn much quicker/sweeter Easy to fit.

Anyway, Rich has agreed to do them at £20 a set - just quote my name when you ring him on 07775557797 to get the deal..

http://ducatisportingclub.com/xmb/vi...734&pid=292639

Cheers
Nat
NattyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2006, 09:12 PM   #2
gwyndaff

I've got these.

Highly recommended for the tall types among us.

(he also does them in gold colour to match the hoop)

Gwynd
Old 17-02-2006, 10:05 PM   #3
Shandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwyndaff
I've got these.

Highly recommended for the tall types among us.

(he also does them in gold colour to match the hoop)

Gwynd
I'll second that, Rich fitted a set to mine at the last service makes the bike much more comfortable being a tall type.
Old 19-02-2006, 03:10 PM   #4
eonan

Lanky Streak of P*ss

Thanks for letting us know about this Nat...being one of the taller types I shall be giving him a call
Old 19-02-2006, 05:02 PM   #5
Lowsider

Talking

OK So I am a technological ludite when it comes to my bike......
Where do these go on my '98 M600 Dark??????

Being 6 ft and 20 stone any help with the suspension is probably needed

Cheers

Nick
Old 19-02-2006, 05:07 PM   #6
Shandy

They fit where the suspension hoop connects to the rear swing arm on both sides,

Thats probably a realy naf discription, give me half an hour and ill go take a picture and stick it up for you to have a look.
Old 19-02-2006, 05:37 PM   #7
Shandy

Nick,

The pictures should be attached, unless i've had an IT moment again.

Cheers,

Shandy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rear View Chain Side.JPG (21.4 KB, 193 views)
File Type: jpg Rear View Right Hand.JPG (21.6 KB, 125 views)
Old 19-02-2006, 08:51 PM   #8
Lowsider

Cheers Shandy

Looks like an interseting mod...
Old 21-02-2006, 07:48 PM   #9
JayT

Do They Not Have These As Standard?

Looking in my Haynes manual for Monsters 91-96, the right height is already adjustable from standard with that "track rod end" looking thingy majig.

I was fancyin doin mine, but how do you secure your bike, i.e take all of the weight off the rear suspension so the U bar can be disconnected, a paddock stand wouldnt achieve this, although Mr. Haynes says to use one. If any1 has done it in the past please let me know.

Thanks
Old 21-02-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT
Looking in my Haynes manual for Monsters 91-96, the right height is already adjustable from standard with that "track rod end" looking thingy majig.

I was fancyin doin mine, but how do you secure your bike, i.e take all of the weight off the rear suspension so the U bar can be disconnected, a paddock stand wouldnt achieve this, although Mr. Haynes says to use one. If any1 has done it in the past please let me know.

Thanks
You need a paddock stand to get the bike upright. It's easier to remove the exhaust cans and footrest hangers and the hugger. You can support the bike in one of two ways:-

1 Stick it in gear and use a scissor jack between the rear wheel and the frame, with a bit of wood to protect the frame.

2 Use a scissor jack bewtween the swing arm and the frame cross member.

Once you've taken the weight, you can undo the rose joint bolts, then lift the jack a little and the hoop will swing away. The joints can then be adjusted.

Ped
Old 21-02-2006, 08:03 PM   #11
Pugi

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayT
1. Find a suitable beam in your garage.
2. Fix ropes to said beam.
3. Suspend bike, attaching ropes to frame. Ask mate to assist in the lift.

Worked for me.
Old 21-02-2006, 08:20 PM   #12
Yorkie
Anglo-Saxon Warrior

Bike: M900
Cool Adjustment!

How much adjustment is there?

It cannot be much, does it make any difference in the ride once adjusted?

I think if you are going through that sort of hassle you may as well fit one of those jack up kits!!

Yorkie.

Im going to order them next month!!
Yorkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2006, 08:48 PM   #13
JayT

Haynes recons you should go no further than about 1 inch, as that only leaves 10mm of thread holding the U bar. You should never reduce the amount of thread in contact with the U bar, to less than the diameter of the stud.

I'd imagin u cud make a similar piece to this one on offer for a lot less than £20, afterall its only an extension bar, then threaded stud. I dunno but Its worth a look.
Old 21-02-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Lifting the rear ride height makes a big difference in the handling - I've only raised the rear on mine by about 10mm but it turns in really quickly now in comparison to stock settings.

One other point, I wouldn't wind too much thread out, probably no more than 10-15mm. If you want more, use Rich's Ride Height adjusters, IMO

Ped
Old 21-02-2006, 10:03 PM   #15
gwyndaff

Peds right about "Lifting the rear ride height" (jacking up the rear - in fastbike magazine speak) altering handling characteristics.

If you want to keep the handling fairly stock, this effect can be minimised by dropping the forks as well. (Rich did this to mine when he fitted the jack up kit to the rear)

The only draw back I can mention is that because the bike is so high now the sidestand seems a bit short and the bike really leans over when its on the stand. (feels like your going to drop it everytime)

Gwynd