UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Mods & How To's » Tricati project 2 - Update

Old 05-11-2005, 11:24 PM   #1
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bike: M900ie
Tricati project 2 - Update

Hi all,

Progress has been slow the last couple of weeks, as it's taken me a while to track down some of the tools, materials and equipment I needed. However a couple of weekends and late evenings in the garage has seen the project take a leap forwards.

Finally got the back to grips with the mig welder on Friday night, and after an hour practicing on scrap steel was happy to tackle the real thing. Still no expert tough, and I think most of my welds would get 10/10 for strength but maybe 6/10 for appearance - I'm sure I'll crack it with more practice.

I lost count how many times I double checked the alignement, before finally committing to weld it in. It's well within the 3mm tolerance specified by Trike Design (nearer 1-2mm actual) so should steer fine on the road.

Picked up the wheels & tyres this week, so I had the chance to fit them today and finally drop the trike off it's temporary support jig. Felt a bit weird rolling it out of the garage on 3 wheels, but it's a Tricati for sure now and no turning back! :burnout:

Hope the photo's do it justice - I'm chuffed to bits
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trike_1.jpg (79.8 KB, 130 views)
File Type: jpg trike_2.jpg (82.1 KB, 110 views)
File Type: jpg trike_3.jpg (87.3 KB, 106 views)
File Type: jpg trike_4.jpg (86.0 KB, 108 views)
Old 05-11-2005, 11:36 PM   #2
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Wheels are 17inch X 7.5J lightweight, multispoke alloys from Germany, fitted with 205/40/70 ZR tyres which gives a rolling radius about 15mm less than the original 170/60/17 rear wheel. I'm planning to swap the front wheel for a PVM forged 20 spoke design to match if I can stretch to the £500 it costs

I'm sticking with the original 15/39 final drive, so hopfully the smaller rear tyres (about a 5% reduction) will help it to pull the extra weight of the trike rear end. I've calculated it should pull an extra 300-500 at any given road speed in top gear, which is roughly the same as adding a couple of teeth to the rear sprocket.

Close up shows where i've welded the subframe to swingarm, which was cut down by about 300mm. It's only extended the overall wheelbase by about 15mm, so it'll still be a very short trike and may need a steering damper keep things under control :twisted:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trike_5.jpg (75.9 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg trike_6.jpg (77.3 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg trike_7.jpg (76.0 KB, 83 views)

Last edited by gary tompkins; 06-11-2005 at 08:30 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2005, 11:49 PM   #3
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Final set of photos shows the mudguards mocked up in the final position on 1" packers. Had my doubts they were going to be wide enough to cover the 7.5" rims & 205's but they look fine.

The trike is still actually supported on the original rear shock and linkage, but this will be stripped out in the next few days. The rear subframe will then be solidly braced to the frame above and below the swingarm, after finalising the rear ride height position to lock up the rear end. This will leave the twin shocks attached the top wishbones to soak up the bumps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trike_8.jpg (74.5 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg trike_9.jpg (69.5 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg trike_10.jpg (73.6 KB, 76 views)
Old 05-11-2005, 11:51 PM   #4
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Well that's the lot for now - more updates soon

Good Nite all ZZzzzz
Attached Images
File Type: jpg trike_11.jpg (89.6 KB, 84 views)
Old 05-11-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
Lost Again

Looks like it should be a giggle. Looking forward to seeing the finished item at the weekender if not before.
Thats if I make it to the weekender, doing the whole poor student thing at the minute so havn't been able to book anything. Should have it sorted by next wek though.

btw. run it for a bit with the pipes as they are, ran mine around for a few days last week with just the front pipes. Sounds very cheeky!
Old 05-11-2005, 11:54 PM   #6
BoozyBOB

Looking good GT...
i have been welding for a long long time now...and if your welds are 10/10 for strength...they can be 2/10 for looks..(pigeon **** in the trade)..

do you need a special MOT...road worthy test for this project..just curious
Old 06-11-2005, 01:17 AM   #7
Pugi

Thanks for the update. Very slick rear rims, but they don't match the bike at the mo. Maybe it'll look better with the front £500 upgrade? Which colour will you paint the bike eventually? Paint the rear mudguards dark to match the bike or the other way around, or something new all together?
Old 06-11-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Bob,

Thanks for the vote of confidence on the welding. As you say strength is a priority anyway - the last thing I need is for the back end to part company at speed

Not sure on the SVA test at the moment - gotta talk to the DVLA & DOT, but it will need an mot (class3) when the time comes.

Ben,

I did toy with a Buell style underengine exhaust, with twin stubby exits where the downpipes finish on the standard system. I think I'll go for a set of high levels (sil's) to keep costs down, and may even pinch the ones off my other monster to get the trike on the road.

Pugi,

The front wheel swap will happen later in the build, as theres plenty of other things that need the £500 cash for more urgently. Paint... hmmm not sure yet, again depends what money is left over next year, but the colour matched dark option would be the most simple (and cheap) to achieve

These are the wheels I may have to sell myself into slavery to get...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pvm-20spoke[1].jpg (31.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg pvm-20spokefr[2].jpg (72.7 KB, 62 views)

Last edited by gary tompkins; 06-11-2005 at 08:33 AM..
gary tompkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Mand

Aww no Gary!

Al and I have just looking at your piccies, we think it looks ace. The only thing now is I have a fella at home that wants to trike something now - ANYTHING! :lol:

God help me..........
Old 06-11-2005, 11:49 AM   #10
gary tompkins
1/2 man - 1/2 pogo-stick

Noooo... I'm the only trike in the village!

So (copy cat) Alex wants a trike eh?

No problem, im sure Mand (loadsabikes) could always flog a couple to finance the project :lol:

Hmmm... a Honda V-Storm trike - now theres an idea
Old 06-11-2005, 01:36 PM   #11
slob

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Take a close look at the front wheel from a KTM Duke II next time you see one about. Look an even better match for the rears, not sure if it'll take twin discs though.
slob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 02:42 PM   #12
GULLY

Hi Gary
Your trike is looking I am looking fwd to seeing it on the road :burnout:

I like your camo welding mask

See you soon
Gully :twisted:
Old 06-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #13
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary tompkins
So (copy cat) Alex wants a trike eh?

No problem, im sure Mand (loadsabikes) could always flog a couple to finance the project :lol:

Hmmm... a Honda V-Storm trike - now theres an idea

I knew it was a bad idea showing him your project, he keeps whispering the words.... "mmmmm trike" (Homer Simpson stylie) under his breath. :lol:
Old 06-11-2005, 02:56 PM   #14
Lost Again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand
Al and I have just looking at your piccies, we think it looks ace. The only thing now is I have a fella at home that wants to trike something now - ANYTHING!
My flat mates got a 20 odd year old CB100 N sitting in the garage that hasn't moved in a while.......
Old 06-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #15
Mand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Again
My flat mates got a 20 odd year old CB100 N sitting in the garage that hasn't moved in a while.......
I am NOT buying anymore bikes!!!!!!! Enough!

In fact the CCM has just been listed on ebay today....