UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Electrics » Can any help, it wont start?

Old 11-05-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
JamesM750

Question Can anyone help, it wont start?

Hello, I bought my first Monster last month (M750, 2000) and this morning it would not start. The immobiliser (datatool sys3) deactivated ok, the usual lights came on, but pushing the start button did nothing, the starter did not turn over. I did check that the side-stand was up, kill switch was off, and it was in neutral, but still nothing .

I will check the side-stand switch and try and bump start it, which will rule them out. But are there any other 'first' checks I should make or any other common faults that may cause this beside the starter button not working?

Thanks in advance for any info!!

Last edited by JamesM750; 11-05-2005 at 01:01 PM..
Old 11-05-2005, 12:41 PM   #2
Plum

Check the relay under the seat. If there is any crap on the contacts it will stop it from starting. Mine had a similar problem. When i turned the key all you could hear was this clicking under the seat (the relay). After giving it a clean (regardless of if you can see muck on it) it started and never gave me any grief since.

Try that and let us know

L
Old 11-05-2005, 12:44 PM   #3
JamesM750

I will have a good look at the relay as there does seem to be plenty of crap under the seat, cheers!
Old 11-05-2005, 12:55 PM   #4
ruffnex

when was the last time you used your bike mate as lot of probs can be battry related
Old 11-05-2005, 01:22 PM   #5
JamesM750

I last used it just over a week ago, and it started up fine. This morning I switched the headlamp on at it wasnt dull, but I will check the battery voltage when I check the side-stand switch.

Are these mains powered trickle chargers any good if you know the bike isnt going to be used for a while?
Old 11-05-2005, 01:24 PM   #6
nik_the_brief

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM750
I last used it just over a week ago, and it started up fine. This morning I switched the headlamp on at it wasnt dull, but I will check the battery voltage when I check the side-stand switch.

Are these mains powered trickle chargers any good if you know the bike isnt going to be used for a while?
Short answer I know but - Yes, they're great - many peeps on here recommend the Optimate one.
Old 11-05-2005, 01:56 PM   #7
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
I had this problem with the same bike,it baffled me at first as I didnt even get a click or response from the starter.The sidestand switch has been disconnected or doesnt work on mine and I found if you pull in the clutch (like triumphs and suzuki) it started fine.
Not sure if thats whats meant to happen,but worth a go.
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2005, 03:32 PM   #8
JamesM750

Dave G, I will give pulling the clutch a go, and also check out the stand switch/unplug it. I notice you have an S2r (I wanted one of those), how did you find the M750, any interesting stories?
Old 11-05-2005, 04:16 PM   #9
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
I'd put money on it being the starter relay - pop the cover off and clean the contacts with a piece of fine wet and dry. Might also be worth checking the kill switch on the bars - carefully open the covers and clean the contact points again if no joy with the starter relay.

Ped
Old 12-05-2005, 04:34 PM   #10
JamesM750

Talking

Job Done! Plum and Pedro, give yourselves a cigar, it was muck on the starter relay. A quick once over with the wet and dry and it was fine.

Many thanks to all. :burnout:
Old 12-05-2005, 07:11 PM   #11
Plum

Talking

Will be smoking a biggie this weekend for ya! Have a Romeo & Julieta (Yerbs would be proud) and will spark it for this celebration.

Glad the advice was of use. And if you get anymore probs, let me know. I had no end of grief just before the weekender. If its a fueling issue, i will definitely be the man.....aint that right Pedro!?
Old 12-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #12
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Just as long as it's not advice on routing fuelpipes eh Plum!!!! :lol:

I'm sure between us we can figure stuff out and glad to hear the bike came to life proper like!!

Ped
Old 12-05-2005, 09:33 PM   #13
Plum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro
Just as long as it's not advice on routing fuelpipes eh Plum!!!! :lol:
I know lots about fuel pipes.......now!
Old 13-05-2005, 08:47 AM   #14
DesmoDog

Now the start relay is the yellow box under the seat no? Last time I just opened it up and gave it a visual check over. Where's my wet and dry?
Old 13-05-2005, 10:12 AM   #15
Dave G
Imagineer

Bike: S2r
James the S2R is great,feels lighter and the motor spins up quicker,I'm still running in so havent done too much yet,jury's out over the brakes though.
:burnout:
Still got the 750,though it will now have to go,I think its got a dodgy sidestand switch which normally doesnt work and if it shows a presence a pull in of the clutch lets me start it.
I really ought to fix it I suppose,or at least make it consistant by disconnecting it altogether.
Glad you fixed yours though
Dave G is offline   Reply With Quote