UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: UKMOC Bike Reviews :. » Bike Reviews » Alternative Ducatis

Old 23-04-2005, 09:43 PM   #1
MilesB

Lightbulb Alternative Ducatis

In my ongoing search for the perfect bike Susan and myself went up to Ducati South London today and took a couple of test rides.

The situation is that although we both love the Monster, we are pragmatic enough to realise that it is not a great 2up bike, especially if you want to tour. In my experience there is enough room for either a pillion or a decent amount of luggage - but NOT both at the same time

So we want a bike that can do 2up touring, with secure (ie hard/lockable luggage), that we can both handle - especially that Susan can handle with me on as well .
It also has to be specifically comfortable for Susan, who has a problem back.

Anyway we like Ducati V-twins, so off we went to try out both an ST3 and a Multistrada 1000.

The ST3 runs on the same frame as my M900ie, but the bars seem to be more extreme, and the reach/lean forward was uncomfortable for me - and painfull for Susan

Fortunately, the Multistrada was :burnout:
WE LIKE - big trailie with the soul of a Monster

Thanks to Claire at Ducati South London for arranging things at short notice (PS She rides a Monster too!)
Old 10-05-2005, 04:05 PM   #2
MotoNik
Bronze Member

Bike: M600
I know it's not a Ducati, but.....

....I test rode a BMW 1200 GS last week and it is a really cracking bike. I personally preferred it to the 'strada. More roomy riding position, more comfy (ok, where's me pipe?!), and unbelievably it's got a more grunty engine.

Strongly recommended - really top fun, and right at the top of my list for the virtual garage at the moment.

cheers,

Nik
MotoNik is offline   Reply With Quote