UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Engines, Clutch, Gears » Magnetic sump plug metal debris

Old 18-07-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
Claude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luddite View Post
Thinking outside the (gear)box, Nasher!

As the pieces appear to be magnetic, any idea where they could come from? The usual suspect for a stripped thread is the sump plug hole, but that would be aluminium.

Claude, did the pieces feel solid and sturdy or could you bend or twist them easily? If solid, it sounds like a failed component but if bendy, then Nasher may be correct.
Can’t really remember to be honest. They were very small though that much is very true.

It’s got me really paranoid to the point I’m considering getting rid.
Old 19-07-2018, 11:35 AM   #2
TonyG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Can’t really remember to be honest. They were very small though that much is very true.

It’s got me really paranoid to the point I’m considering getting rid.
I can't offer any further technical advice beyond what has been said, but I understand your paranoia. I can get like that about issues I have with my bike, but when I look objectively at someone else's issue I can be more logical. From what you and others have said, and assuming the pieces are really small I would not get rid of the bike, I'd just change the oil again after a few hundred miles, and if nothing there treat it to another change after a 1000 miles, or something along those lines. If it did get worse or re-occur I couldn't sell it on without fixing it or informing the buyer.
Old 31-07-2018, 02:27 PM   #3
Luddite

Bike: M1100evo
Popped into Moto Rapido today and showed your pictures to Joe, one of their mechanics. Unfortunately, he wasn't able to identify the parts from the photos but, like Mr Gazza, he did suggest checking the gauze filter as he said that should have trapped more particles than the magnet.

He did say he didn't think it was one of the gearbox snap rings though, as he'd never heard of one failing in use.

Post up photos of anything you find and keep the bits for identification purposes.
Luddite is offline   Reply With Quote