UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: Technical :. » Kits & Accessories » Monster aluminium tank arrived

Old 24-01-2020, 10:42 PM   #16
Geoff

Bike: M1000ie
It’s my intention to post a comparison of weight and fuel capacity versus the plastic tank once I get back from my painters.
Geoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 12:01 PM   #17
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
As a comparison, the ‘beater’ tank is a 14.3L capacity ( more would have been better), and weight of 3.4kg in it’s raw state.

Last edited by damien666; 25-01-2020 at 12:03 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2020, 01:04 PM   #18
Geoff

Many thanks - will allow a direct comparison but I would guess pretty much the same although your tank is different as it’s the S4RS with a different fuel pump and probably some other features. With my 150k miles I’ve ran out of fuel many times on my monster and at most only squeezed 12.8 litres. Took the issue up with Ducati UK as it states 15 litres. Anyway eventually they got back and confirmed there’s a misprint in some specs and only hold 14 litres. Still doesn’t account for 1litre but they said that was fuel pump displacement ?? They assured me if I fill tank - wait until it settles - wiggle bike side to side - put a bit more in and repeat I’ll get there eventually. They did this at Ducati U.K. apparently. I asked about time to achieve this and they laughed? I also questioned my 1098 capacity and they said repeat the same technique. Never tried there suggestions so can’t say if it works or not.
Old 25-01-2020, 04:45 PM   #19
stopintime

Bike: S2r
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
Many thanks - will allow a direct comparison but I would guess pretty much the same although your tank is different as it’s the S4RS with a different fuel pump and probably some other features. With my 150k miles I’ve ran out of fuel many times on my monster and at most only squeezed 12.8 litres. Took the issue up with Ducati UK as it states 15 litres. Anyway eventually they got back and confirmed there’s a misprint in some specs and only hold 14 litres. Still doesn’t account for 1litre but they said that was fuel pump displacement ?? They assured me if I fill tank - wait until it settles - wiggle bike side to side - put a bit more in and repeat I’ll get there eventually. They did this at Ducati U.K. apparently. I asked about time to achieve this and they laughed? I also questioned my 1098 capacity and they said repeat the same technique. Never tried there suggestions so can’t say if it works or not.
I said the same thing to my local Duc rep. "We hope you'll like your bike despite the misleading brochure". Arrogant assholes. It's at least two liters less than advertised no matter how much you wiggle. Steel tanks were larger inside. Plastic has thicker walls and came out with smaller capacity, but Ducati didn't want to admit it. S4RS even smaller. Not due to pump assembly, but because they had to allow for the 4V heads + stuff.
Tecknorace states 2,5 liter larger than stock, but that is compared to S4RS so 2V Monsters gain maybe a liter (I guesstimate).

I wish I needed one, because these are gorgeous!!!!
stopintime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
rac3r

Thanks for the link and write up. I contacted and the price and manufacturing time is quite good. Now how can I afford one...
Old 21-02-2020, 05:32 PM   #21
Geoff

Well here’s my alloy tank painted awaiting final lacquer.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/36xoy4qkc/
Old 21-02-2020, 09:10 PM   #22
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Quote:

Nice paint job.
Old 22-02-2020, 09:27 AM   #23
Moco1961

Quote:

Nice job Geoff, can't wait to see end result
Old 05-03-2020, 04:30 PM   #24
Geoff

Tank finished. Just need to fit to bike soon.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/2kqy8ucf0/
Old 05-03-2020, 06:01 PM   #25
350TSS
Too much time on my hands member

Bike: M900
Beautiful!
350TSS is offline   Reply With Quote