UK Monster Owners Club Forum » Gallery » UKMOC Bikes » Back with a M900 series I

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 30-08-2015, 06:21 PM   #151
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Bike: M900
Seat cowl brackets I made myself as good a copy as I could. Plated catch too.

Rear end complete.

The extra bracket I made for the fuel tap looks better now.

Fitted a hanger and brake parts with new gaiter and pipe clips

Similar to gearshift side

Coffins and levers fitted together again. Refurbished fittings and powdercoated levers.

Albie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 06:32 PM   #152
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Continued

Then the Kato gifted front brake discs I refurbished. It must have been 2 months at least since I painted them so the masking tape was getting sticky. Once removed and cleaned of residue they look superb now and happy with the colour too. Glad I took my time to mask neatly.

Front

Back

On wheel

Then I did the front end to use up some bolts and parts. Yokes will be getting vapour blasted once BigOz has repaired thread on lock stop so this one is a spare.

Bar ends from a s2r fit and new shiney coat too.

Much different view for me from a M1100s but very similar to a Scrambler.

Brake calipers fitted with rubber hoses for now until I can afford to get black stainless braided full set. Fitted the speedo cable guide with the one extra long bolt.

Getting there guys.
Old 30-08-2015, 07:51 PM   #153
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Bike: Multiple Monsters
Good work there fella!

Quick observation - that gear change lever is not original, looks like it's off a much later bike. The rubber on the originals is round

Ped
Old 30-08-2015, 07:56 PM   #154
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Good work there fella!

Quick observation - that gear change lever is not original, looks like it's off a much later bike. The rubber on the originals is round

Ped
Ok thanks good shout.

Anyone who has one message me please or swapsies.
Old 30-08-2015, 08:27 PM   #155
Davy

Great thread this.
Old 30-08-2015, 08:35 PM   #156
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Thanks Davy. If you don't know what bits are on a monster 900 after this you ain't been watching lol.
Old 30-08-2015, 10:03 PM   #157
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Gear lever now purchased. If anyone needs one like the one I had give me a message. All straight and clean. I need to make some £'s back now to further fund the Monster.
Old 31-08-2015, 07:01 AM   #158
Darkness

Betterer and betterer.

Another quick observation (You'll be getting lots of helpful comments as she reassembles) is that you've placed the forks lower in the yokes than standard.

The Showa non-adjustable forks had about 10mm of the gold anodised fork leg visible above the top yoke, so that would be a good starting point when setting up the suspension geometry.

That's unless you still remember where you were on your old one of course?
Old 31-08-2015, 07:15 AM   #159
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Betterer and betterer.

Another quick observation (You'll be getting lots of helpful comments as she reassembles) is that you've placed the forks lower in the yokes than standard.

The Showa non-adjustable forks had about 10mm of the gold anodised fork leg visible above the top yoke, so that would be a good starting point when setting up the suspension geometry.

Yes tbh just there like that to put stuff together. Have piccies of that and a fade line to use. My hardest job today is making sure I put rectifier and fuel pump fittings correctly.
Old 31-08-2015, 04:33 PM   #160
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
Betterer and betterer.

If memory serves, the top of the fork leg should be 284mm from the underside of the bottom yoke - I'll have a look in the manual when I next go to the shed

Ped
Old 31-08-2015, 04:57 PM   #161
Dirty
Bockloks

Bike: No Bike Yet!
If your memory serves is correct you need a new hobby

Dirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 02:14 AM   #162
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
er....seat cowl brackets...
Blimey Albie, you've gone the extra mile there.
You've even put in the little strengthening "dink" halfway along the outer bend.
Let me guess ...You put a length of softwood 2x2 in the vice, rested the bracket over one corner and hit it with a rounded-off chisel ....?
Then probably had to tweek the bend as the angle would have shifted slightly.
Full marks and two stars (one red, one gold).

I didn't bother myself ...my ally ones are sans "dink".
And redundant now as it happens cos my Corbin seat (your old one, actually) is now a permanent and cowl-less feature.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 09:31 AM   #163
Pedro
Ciao, come stai?

Just another observation Albie....

Looking at your brake discs, you should clean off the paint on the inner face where they bolt to the wheel, same goes for the wheel face if there is any powder coat overspray. The bolts holding the discs on don't really provide much resistance to the disc turning on the wheel, the friction between clean faces on disc and wheel bear the majority of the braking load. You may also find that the paint causes the disc to not run true.

Hats off to your masking up though, much better than my last effort!!

Ped
Old 01-09-2015, 09:56 AM   #164
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Yes I removed pretty much all from the back of disc yesterday so just a stain there now. Got the loom in roughly and the rectifier as I think it should go. Mines got an extra bracket so it mounts in a triangle as the bolt holes don't line up where you expect. I think it's another parts bin adaption. Take a picture later for discussion. Figured out starter relay wires and are too long . It's been replaced and badly wired in so I can lose 4" of wiring and whack a connector in there.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 PM   #165
Albie
Fanactical volunteer

Had an issue with front wheel bearings. Now this comes to light after I order said complete set of bearings from a reputable motorcycle parts trader and not Ebay and when opened they are narrower by 4mm than ones I took out. Funny as I used the specific drop down box related to my model type and year.
So I do a engine search and not only on here but elsewhere there should be an extra 2 in the digits to make its width 16mm.

So the solid axle m900 93
Front Wheel bearings are pt number 62203-2RS 17 x 40 x 16 against what they supply you 6203-RS 17 x 40 x 12
Rear are 6204-2RS C3
Sprocket carrier are 6005-2RS C3

Now I made a complaint to Wemoto and straight away an apology and helpful and correct ones on order for the 8th with correct width and number. I did this complaint purely to make sure they know their systems number is incorrect. I will send mine back on return.
I sorted out my rear light loom where a couple of bad ends were repaired and some sheathing done at socket end. Also the starter relay cable has been shortened and had a connector plug added and is tidy now. Just working on the frame number trying to tidy it up with some paint after trimming around the edge of powdercoat. Trying to find a paint close to match but not done thickly. I thought I got a close match with some Revell model paint but the lid colour matches not the paint. I could try mixing with another colour but tbh I couldn't care if it were matt black or even silver as long as the number is visible.

No gear lever arrived at Argos of all places as yet but was due today but maybe tomorrow.

Last edited by Albie; 04-09-2015 at 09:13 PM..