UK Monster Owners Club Forum » .: General :. » Random Chat » How about a Peak District ride?

Old 12-07-2019, 02:14 PM   #1
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
How about a Peak District ride?

I live just south of Derby and would be happy to guide a small group of 'bikes around some of my favourite Peak District roads (mostly lesser-known hilly twisties not frequented by the sportsbike loons). It's about a 5 to 6 hours circuit including several essential coffee/snack/comfort breaks, and is definitely not a fast route, but good fun (and in a few places slightly challenging). My M900 is ideal solo for this ride, but I've also done it on my ST4 with pillion (she's very good).

For anyone interested in coming from farther afield I could if necessary provide some overnight sleeping spaces before and/or after. My preference would be a weekday, but I'm not ruling out a weekend. Dry weather is of course essential!

Anyone potentially interested is very welcome to contact me by replying to this post.
Old 13-07-2019, 07:04 AM   #2
Moco1961

Yes indeedeeee !

Hey Martin,

The answer is a resounding yes please, by chance Utopia and I very briefly mused a meet up in the Peaks when we last spoke so we have the first box ticked.... interest.... Now we need a plan!

Can you give some clues as to your route and we can decide a meeting place please, we will be coming from the West, I am almost suggesting chatsworth area to meet if it's on your route ?.

Regards the day, Sunday's are favourite if that suits,
Old 13-07-2019, 07:09 AM   #3
Rrawlings

Bike: M1100evo
Date depending I would be up for this. I do a run from home over to Glossop and around that are so a day in the peaks sounds good. Plus I’ve not seen anything in Yorkshire meet wise on here so be good to meet others.
Rrawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 07:15 AM   #4
Moco1961

Contact

....morning Ryan, brilliant, if Martin has a circular route there is an opportunity for folk to join along the way, are you good at influencing the weather!
Old 13-07-2019, 12:12 PM   #5
Martin C
Bronze Member

Bike: M900
I've just spent 20 minutes typing a reply only to be kicked out, so here goes again (with less detail)!

I can certainly do some Sundays if planned, but always dependent on no rain for this trip!

A52 from Derby past Ashbourne and A523 towards Leek; right onto B5053 to longnor (cafe stop); A5270 & B6049 to A6187; then either left to Castleton for lunch and return or simply right onto A6187 then left onto A6013; then right onto (briefly) A57 and left on lanes across Strines Moor (best bit!) to Midhopestones; left on A628 and left onto B6105 to Glossop; then A624 to Chapel-en-le Frith; A6 to Buxton; A515 to Ashboune, A52 towards home.
Old 13-07-2019, 04:05 PM   #6
damien666

Bike: S4Rs
I’m originally from just over the hill from the strines road. I quite often visit from Leeds, via penistone/ strines road end or Glossop way.
I was out with my dad last week (him on his smokey Silk two stroke!), and ended up at Monsal Head. What a view, with a Bradwells ice cream for good measure!

Last edited by damien666; 13-07-2019 at 04:08 PM..
damien666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 05:26 PM   #7
ChrisC2925

Bike: M600
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin C View Post
I've just spent 20 minutes typing a reply only to be kicked out, so here goes again (with less detail)!

I can certainly do some Sundays if planned, but always dependent on no rain for this trip!

A52 from Derby past Ashbourne and A523 towards Leek; right onto B5053 to longnor (cafe stop); A5270 & B6049 to A6187; then either left to Castleton for lunch and return or simply right onto A6187 then left onto A6013; then right onto (briefly) A57 and left on lanes across Strines Moor (best bit!) to Midhopestones; left on A628 and left onto B6105 to Glossop; then A624 to Chapel-en-le Frith; A6 to Buxton; A515 to Ashboune, A52 towards home.
Hello Martin, what time do you reckon you would stop at Longnor? It's about an hour and a half from me, I'd do the run as far as Glossop and then head back north from there. Sunday 28th would suit me - I think that's also a possible for Mike (Moco)

Thanks

Chris
ChrisC2925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2019, 11:45 PM   #8
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
Depending on when you're planning to run the suggested toddle, I'm game!
Old 14-07-2019, 07:03 AM   #9
Moco1961

Game on!

Morning all, so shall we go for Sunday 28th as our starter for ten? Looks like a great day out Martin, great if we meet up with a few en route.

I'll get the route planner out and see where the potential meeting points are,
Old 14-07-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
Yes, as Mike says, he and I were discussing a peak district run just the other week.
Count me in.
I'm free on july 28th but could do other days too.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #11
Moco1961

We did titles worth reservoir so that's a good hour and a half as Chris says, we can aim to meet up at longnor cafe stop.
Jeff, you could probably join Martin sooner on the route I am guessing?
Old 14-07-2019, 07:03 PM   #12
Mr Gazza
Lord of the Rings

Bike: M900sie
I'd love to have a bash at this in principle, but I'm looking at a 300 mile round trip just to get to and from the start/finish line. Assuming that would be in the Burton upon Trent area?
How many miles on the actual run circuit roughly? What time of day departure/return?

I could definitely only do this on a weekend, unless it was in the first week in September.
Old 14-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #13
utopia
No turn left unstoned

Bike: M750
An overnight stop at my place is always on the cards, Gary .. if you don't mind a sofa-bed.
In either direction, or both.

I suspect a rendezvous with Grumpy somewhere south of Derby would be the plan.
utopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #14
Grumpy
record breaker!!

Bike: M1200R
I'm already busy on the 28th
If any other date in August is suitable for all, I can make the toddle.
Old 15-07-2019, 11:40 AM   #15
Moco1961

dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
I'm already busy on the 28th
If any other date in August is suitable for all, I can make the toddle.
Ok so if 28th July doesn't suit all, Martin, as route guide for this ride can you let us know your availability please ? oh and it must be sunny